[RANKS] Finals Ranks and Lounge

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Tacky Jones, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Cigma

Cigma Maxwell's Demon

I know that even with all the 'improving' in the world they possibly could accomplish...

when I'm inspired and focused, few people that I know of can match what I do.

Is that gifted?

Problem is I'm also lazy sort of consequently.

Learning how to 'give it your all' is an acquired skill.

I think gift is a raw potential one possesses, and then skill is how much of a craft gets developed.

And today's world of busyness makes it real easy to stop developing the gifts we've been born with, leaving them to wither in pursuit of a 'real life' or a life of distractions. Kids, spouses, job, bills, cog in the system, domestication, drinking, partying to excess, social networking, wasting away.

But just because you write against seemingly higher caliber writers, that doesn't mean you will 'improve' automatically.

They show you what's possible, it's still for you to reach those pinnacles. You have an opportunity to learn. But the onus is still on you to use those tools.

And just because you have new tools, does that mean you understand how or when to use them? Once again that goes back to gift, something innate.

You can copy a style, but you'll only ever be a reflection. For instance when it comes to singers, you have people that "have their own sound" and those that "sound like somebody."

Ultimately you either have it in you or you don't, your 'ceiling' does not change...? We just get stuck behind boundaries.

But with hard work and effort and real learning, applying knowledge to change your behavior you might one day find the truth. Theres a hidden kingdom that's been shining waiting for you to find it.

Now I've been to the source a few times luckily in my life but sadly it never lasts.

Thankfully we still have time to figure out that mystery.

And Coup yea you are garbage if you say so but you know what they also say, one man's garbage is another man's treasure. ;)
    test
  2. Coup d'état

Coup d'état Don't believe the hype

Nicely said Cigma.

take out the rest
    test
  3. TheInkwell

TheInkwell New Member

more or less agreed, cigma..

my issue with the concept of being gifted however, is that with the way some people define it.. it undermines the effort and hard work people put in to being good. "He's just gifted." as if that person doesn't need to put in the hours in order to become great. For example, the majority of us will say Michael Jordan is gifted. But he put in major work to become great, and to most, the greatest baller. He sucked when he was younger. But he put in the hours needed to elevate.

Completely agree with your take on competing against higher caliber writers.
    test
  4. Kuja

Kuja Jack Skellington

If the league was to start again and be consistant with mags etc then i prob would come back, managing 2 leagues isnt a problem
    test
  5. IAmBenT

IAmBenT Eat a dick, faggot

On this topic of "gifted" vs Hard Work.

I can battle, CK or Coup or even GotLife? 10 times in a row in an effort to "get better". That don't mean that they won't possibly stomp me all 10 times. Did I get better? probably not. Just like I can sit there and ping-pong with some Chinese superhero (or I mean from anywhere, just saying, not to be racist lol), don't mean he won't whip my ass. But I will begin to grow from Ping-Pong retard to knowing a few things, by watching, observing, etc. There is something to be said about your skill level regarding writing towards this specific format of a "rap" verse, where some guys just 'get' it better than others.

That being said, we all make a 'jump'. If i were to show you early lyrics, you would see some straight up trash, and every now and then, some treasure. The trick for me has been to try and look back at what was good, what really worked, and put myself in the mental place where that quality can be produced.

No one just started writing killer verses, out of the blue. we all had to learn this rap thing one way or another, and then probably had to RELEARN it from a storytelling/topical perspective. I came to this from the battle world, which is a whole different animal.

Then, take into consideration we are all using English, which for some is a native language, for others its NOT, I bet you there are cats on here who could wax that ass in another language, but they are in that English learning mode.

All im saying is there is truth to what Coup says in that going up against a "more talented" writer doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to improve. Sometimes, no matter how good of a golfer I become, Tiger Woods will always whip my ass. But if we are improving our writing, become more clear, more concise, and experience more moments of joy, clarity, and *AHA!* moments, then the pursuit is well worth it!
    test
  6. Cigma

Cigma Maxwell's Demon

I found this on my recent journey into youtube.

Instantly it made me want to write an RSTL verse... this is one of my ideal templates for writing in this format.

[youtube]7C01-cFOyYc[/youtube]
    test
  7. breathlesss

breathlesss Registered Sex Offender

Actually, I started out fresh as fuck, writing-wise at least, multus, metaphors and content were always killer, coming from a poet background, like all the way back to elementary, and a death metal "singer" in middle school, once I got into rapping at the beginning of high school the complete skill set was there, the only thing that's changed is my voice tone and flow game
    This is the first song I ever recorded, first full song I ever wrote, maybe half a year after I got into rapping, and honestly I wasn't even a fan of rap music then, just urged by friends, I had came up with 2 or 3 sixteens before that and casual freestyling...like 4 months of "experience"...

Bum+darksidesbuildin by dan-courser on SoundCloud - Hear the world
    test
  8. Frank Palanza

Frank Palanza New Member

I traveled here to speak with Tha Talent and The Atheist.

Where can I find them? Does anyone know who I'm speaking of
    test
  9. Cigma

Cigma Maxwell's Demon

You are 5 years late my friend.
    test
  10. Split Eight

Split Eight evilest of 9's

test
  11. IAmBenT

What Split MEANT to say is..

If you are still interest in storywriting/topical battling... well PM him for details on what's REALLY good *cough*AOB *cough*

That's real talk.:usureboutdat:
    test
  12. Frank Palanza

Frank Palanza New Member

This is my time capsule post; hope it reaches either, or both.

RHYMENREASON.

What a beginning
    test
  13. Split Eight

Split Eight evilest of 9's

haha i didnt want to intrude on the RSTL.

but yeah, always welcoming new competition at a certain other topical league. let me know for details. let me know if this one comes back as ill probably sign in
    test
  14. patr0wn

patr0wn New Member

any clue as to why i was banned? shit was random.
    test
  15. Coup d'état

Coup d'état Don't believe the hype

hey guys, I've put in a real good effort to get the league back here at RM.com....slated to start April 7th....

I presented a case in the Got a Question forum and represented the need and voice of the people to lead a new season.

Looking forward, Shadow is still the Mod and is still boss...give him the respect he deserves.

Shad, I hope there is no hard feelings between us and we can forget and grow on. Shadow my offer still stands, you need a right hand man...I'm your cat.

I hope to someday write here again. The other leagues are dope and everyone should peep them out and give it a chance, they are all our brothers.

For me, I like the nostalgia of this place and wish to pick it up again.

that's my two cent.
    test
  16. breathlesss

breathlesss Registered Sex Offender

test
  17. IAmBenT

lol it looks like his sprite is gonna explode from the shaking. Hilarious!
    test
  18. nO gOoD!

nO gOoD! Life Music :: Press Play

rm needs this league back
    test
  19. Defcon_5

Defcon_5 Relax and take notes

is this league gonna start back up? i got a itchy text finger to write some more classics lol
    test
  20. IAmBenT

nope nothing yet
    test