Quik Tipz: How loud do the Top Producers Mix?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Phoenix5891, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoenix5891

Phoenix5891 T.S.K.

Quik Tipz: How loud do the Top Producers Mix?

If you're asking yourself "How loud do the top producers mix?", then you're asking the wrong question. Try asking "How soft do they mix?". That's right, that's what we said. Below we reveal the reasons Top Producers mix at lower versus higher levels:

1) Mixing at high volumes for long periods of time can cause permanent ear damage. Yes, it's true...long term exposure to high levels can ruin your ears. If your ears are your assets, best treat them right.

2) High mixing volumes for long periods cause your ears to over-compensate for both high end frequencies and low end frequencies. If you only mix at high levels, your ears will run out of gas within a couple hours as opposed to mixing at softer levels which allow you to hear accurately for longer periods of time.

3) Mixing loud may sound great in the beginning, but re-listening to the same mix a day later at soft levels will reveal a myriad of imbalances. However, the opposite is not true! Achieving proper balances at soft levels tends to maintain the same achieved balances when heard later at loud levels.

Are we saying to mix only at soft levels? No, of course not. In fact, it's necessary to mix loud for a minute or two to ensure proper balance on the low end spectrum of your mix. Also, in order to ensure effects and EQ's aren't saturated, it's necessary to mix for periods of time at moderate levels. But overall...the best balances are achieved at lower mixing levels
    test
  2. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

test
  3. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

if u want ear damage go to the club
    test
  4. Embassy Sweetz

Embassy Sweetz 360's thee-shit,-b

also u shouldnt mix w/ headphones or with subbies on...
    test
  5. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

i've seen monitor headphones, what about those?
    test
  6. Embassy Sweetz

Embassy Sweetz 360's thee-shit,-b

its not good for your ears ..the only thing u should use headphones for is fine tuning pans...
    test
  7. 7thHorseMen

7thHorseMen New Member

yea like Urban said basic

I'm pretty sure the professionals got different sets of monitors to hear the song out in different joints

but we all know if u own some studio monitors mix at a level of comfort for your ears

my question is , where do u place your monitors at , they supposed to be behind you , but I got mine in front of me lol

but this was good shit
    test
  8. Likle Gotti

Likle Gotti New Member

very few producers actualy end up doing the end mix (atleast at that professional level) headphones arent good no, but if its all u have (or even shit speakers) learn those speakers inside and out!, do a few dummy mixes and bring them to different sources and see what frequencies u lack in or the difference between the other sources and your crapp headphones or speakers and learn to judge for that, mind u i know someones gonna come in and say your dumb get monitors, or w/e BUT if u have no other option its best to learn
    test
  9. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

alright. some good advice here
    test
  10. (( Ozone ))

(( Ozone )) t-t-t-t-toxiq

good fuckin post yo...

Wish i'd known... I think I fucked up my ears already...

I got those earphones that go all the way up in your ear. And when I mix, I be havin them shits BLARING. That, plus the fact I'm at the club every friday... plus the system in my whip stays on maximum... eh...
    test
  11. WillieK

WillieK New Member

lol listenin to a joint fo too long or too loud gave u a headache,
    happen to me sumtimez haha

i neva turn my monitor's volume knob to near half way and or further, and someitme i still need to bring the entire mix down in the reason's master volume cuz it's loud as hell
    test
  12. WillieK

WillieK New Member

lol shit pretty soon u gon have to talk hella loud through the cell phones like " WAT U SAY?? I CAN"T HEAR U?? CAN U HEAR ME NOW???", better check wit a doctor or sumthin

my friend was like taht too hahah hella embarassin when i'm wit tat foo in the bus everyone all glarin at us at the bak and shit
    It's tru it's like the weaker your ear the stronger ur voice
    test
  13. the exposer

the exposer The Music Luvas

top producers dont mix there own shit.. dre even has another engineer in the room with him...

i have yet 2 see a top producer mix his own music..

now an engineer would kno this shit without it even being said..

and the reason you mix it low is if you can hear all the sound in your mix relatively low and if the mix balance still feels right then you got yourself a winner... when you mix loud you hear errythang so you dont realy get a good idea of the headroom and the balance between the levels..

this is 101 stuff here...
    test
  14. (( Ozone ))

(( Ozone )) t-t-t-t-toxiq

lmao. I already do that... i have a T-Mobile phone
    test
  15. BoDi

BoDi www.iambodirock.com

good info..
    test
  16. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

lol same here.
    when i first started doin this though
    id have my shit wayyyy loud
    my boy jus re-sent me one of my old beats
    i put the volume options (the main volume and wave)
    allll the way down
    an shit was still BLASTING
    lol

i think ive gotten better at the mixing of my music though...lot better than i used to be thats for sure

and even if some one throws a complaint i jus use the old
    "im not the engineer" line.
    works like a charm
    lol.
    test
  17. veral conflict

veral conflict beatsrus

'the monitor placement should be an equilateral triangle.. n if place it so tweeters n your ears are matched...
    test
  18. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

great thread
    test
  19. WillieK

WillieK New Member

get a motarola
    test
  20. Straight Flames

Straight Flames New Member

thanks for the tips...