Questions for the poets of the Realm

Discussion in 'Poetry Realm' started by quotive, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quotive

quotive 3

I know theres been one, but I want the new poets here to get a chance to answer stuff, so mods if you will, sticky this. The intercourse is dead..

1. What makes you write?
    2. Favorite subject to write about?
    3. Whats your favorite piece that you've written?
    4. Is it hard for you to title your poems?
    5. Do you like a more abstract approach of writing, or straight to the point?
    6. Who's your favorite poet(s) of the Realm?
    7. Why do you visit the Realm?
    8. Who's influenced you the most here?
    9. What poet do you most respect here?
    10. What kind of music gets you in the mood to write?

1. What makes you write? - Thoughts... without writing, I'd be a loser lol.

2. Favorite subject to write about? - Love. Its so easy, but hard at the same time. I've always wanted to right THAT perfect love poem, so I keep trying until I feel I've accomplished that goal.

3. Whats your favorite piece that you've written? - Probably my most recent "Our Dying Futures", or "Infinite Blue" because they both mean A LOT to me. I've never expressed my thoughts that well, like in those to pieces.

4. Is it hard for you to title your poems? - Sometimes I'll sit thinking about the title, than I did the whole poem. The title is the most important aspect of a poem to me, because its YOUR thoughts, and the title should be expressed as well as the poem.

5. Do you like a more abstract approach of writing, or straight to the point? - Abstract.. its more difficult, and you push yourself to think harder..

6. Who's your favorite poet(s) of the Realm? - Absolute Zero, Chyll Tyrant, and allnakey. Brilliant poets...

7. Why do you visit the Realm? - Its the only place where I've ever posted poetry. This place has its ups, and downs... but its a beautiful place..

8. Who's influenced you the most here? - I'd say... older allnakey, and Chyll Tyrant. I think one of the first people to give me feedback was allnakey, and I used to always read his work, and get lost in what he was trying to get across. I remember doing that collab with him.. damn, he thought of something brilliant in ten minutes.. thats what got me into abstract writing, and short length poetry. Chyll Tyrants style was so amazing, that I kind of took his, and created my own with it. I've never been influenced like that in ANY type of writing...

9. What poet do you most respect here? - I have respect for every poet, but man.. UFO should be a mod. He gives the best feedback.. and he's so nice, and kind. I don't always like his poetry, but his personality is cool as hell.

10. What kind of music gets you in the mood to write? - I usually listen to rock, people like The Used, Blink 182, and Dashboard Confessional... their abstract lyrics really get me to think.. but as of late, I've been writing in the silence a lot..

11. Do you think writing poetry, for males is a sign of feminism? Nope, dunno why but someone said that to me, earlier..

test
  2. Psycho69

Psycho69 A Soul Born In Verse

1. Anything, boredom, a song, a certain feeling, or just need to write for the sake of writing.

2. Love.. my first poem was a love poem and I'm still writing them from time to time, hoping I'll finally make one I can consider perfect.

3. Right now, maybe, "Tale Of Passion" or "You And I"

4. I don't spend alot of time on titles, but lately, it's been a bitch for me, I want to improve more on that.

5. I'm more straight to the point, but I want to try and be abstract. I've always felt amateurish and still trying to make it to the point where I can call myself decent.

6. Probably Xero, Brit, and Eloquent.. but I like alot of others.. those just come to mind to me though.

7. It's the only place I feel I can post poetry and expect honest and intelligent responses and can go to read other poetry that I can feel I can relate to or be inspired by.

8. Hmm.. I guess alot of people in alot of small ways.

9. Everyone.

10. Rap usually gets me in the mood to write, but alot of other kind of music to, maybe even just instrumentals.. it all depends.

11. No, I don't find it as a sign of feminism... That's stupid.
    test
  3. Sole Sovereign

Sole Sovereign Hungry But Never Starving

1. What makes you write?

At first it was a hobby but now it puts food on the table. I only write poetry to express an emotion I didn't get a chance to at the moment it was experienced.

Loss

"My Friend's Loss" or "Stab At It"

Nope

Straight to the point. More people should make it a philosophy.

I guess my favorite to read would be RealMS

I'm just curious what people think of my poetry. Friends and family always tell you it's great, but I just want to see if it's a general consensus.

Kim

DaJackle, because he can rip something out on the spot like me and there's not much waiting involved for him.

Country music actually.
    test
  4. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

word........i'm not technically new...but i wanna answer.....

1. What makes you write? Girls......and just my longing to learn more about poetry and become better.
    2. Favorite subject to write about? heartache.....
    3. Whats your favorite piece that you've written? Probably the first addition of my "climb the ever rising moon" trilogy, or "bleeding roses" the one i did wit you...
    4. Is it hard for you to title your poems? nah....i put more effort into that than i do the actual piece...lol
    5. Do you like a more abstract approach of writing, or straight to the point? leaning towards abstract lol
    6. Who's your favorite poet(s) of the Realm? quotive and ufo.... inspiration and challenge....
    7. Why do you visit the Realm? try to polish my craft, and earn honest feedback....
    8. Who's influenced you the most here? probably ufo....lol....he's always gettin at me with new challenges and collab ideas.....
    9. What poet do you most respect here? i respect every poet here....no matter what.... We are all dedicated enough to our trade....can't hate on that.....
    10. What kind of music gets you in the mood to write? Mellow stuff.....John Legend, Jason Mraz....classical.....lol........

God Bless
    test
  5. ChyllTyrant

ChyllTyrant AmIEternalOrAnEternalist?

1. my fear of dying unknown to most, hated by many, loved by few...
    my fear of dying without a legacy... my fear of not making a difference...

2. my favorite subject is philosophy, it's inserted in little nuggets within almost every poem i've written... actually every poem i've written...

3. "The Unholy Trinity"... i wrote that with the hopes that i would be saving someone's life someday when they read it... it's a very philosophical poem.

4. i (almost) always title my pieces after writing them... it's usually the most fun part.

5. a little of both, used in the right places, is the best.

6. xero and quotive right now, although there's a few newer peeps out there that might make it onto that list soon.

7. it's the best poetry site on the internet for many reasons... i've been to a lot.

8. i think forword, or ufo... might have had a poem that i stole the idea for a title from one time. a good poet borrows, a great poet steals and makes his own.

9. i like all the mods... and almost all of the poets.

10. i write to hip hop a lot... rock sometimes, instrumental hip hop sometimes. it can be helpful to just turn the music off sometimes tho. the greatest truths come out when uninhibited by anyone, even your own idols.

anyone interested in reading my first book of poetry, hit me up with a pm. depending on the quality of the feedback, you could get a shoutout.
    test
  6. California Poet

California Poet Born Again Poet

1. everything makes me write...the environment, people...it doesn't matter....if it makes me think then chances are i would write about it
    2. my favorite thing to write about is love...both the up's and down's
    3. my favorite piece i've written is Where Dreams Die
    4. fuck yea it's hard to title my poems...i always try to come up with an interesting and attention grabbing title
    5. i like both types...but i prefer straight to the point with some abstract parts...but i'm still getting into poetry and am experimenting with abstract poetry so who knows what my answer would be later down the road
    6. i don't really have a favorite poet here...but there are some that i enjoy reading more than others
    7. i visit the realm because for me it helps in my growing as a poet...the fact that people give honest replies to pieces is great...i know exactly what Sole Soverign is talkin' about with family saying it's good as if they obligated to say they like it...
    8. every single poet in the realm has influenced me to keep writing....chances are they have got some bad replies...knowing that they keep coming back with new material and trying to improve as writers is all the influence i need
    9. @bsolute Zero is by far the poet i respect the most here....he introduced me to this site back in his "brokensoul" days and i am sooo glad he did...he kind of gives me advice on different shit regarding my pieces and he's honest in his replies, even if we're really good friends
    10. Ben Folds or Dashboard Confessional...their lyrics are great and it's pretty mellow music
    test
  7. -RC-

-RC- Wordsman

1. What makes you write?

people...new places...old places...bad/good memories...anything really. Writing just helps me to get out what i need to let out in the best way possible

society, memories, and especially my girlfriend...she's the one who made me start writing again

i have a couple..."In a Time" was probably my favorite poem on society, a very delicate topic. Favorite love poem would probably be "Picture of You" or "Urban Love." I'm still a fairly new poet and hopefully continuing to improve.

sometimes it is, yes, but I like to use the title of my poems in the piece at least once...you'll see that most of my poems involve the title directly in it.

i like to mix them...I usually pick topics that are more straight to the point and try to add a little mystery or abstract sense to them. I think going straight one way or the other can be a bit boring at times

I'm still new here so I haven't seen everyone, most everything I read is very good, much better than a lot of other places i've been too...but a few poets that stick out so far in my short time here are ~@bsolutE~ZerO~, UFO, sporadic, Quotive and akqrate so far

It's the best place to post poems, give and get feedback of any forum i've been to, the people give feedback in as positive a way as you can for any poem's, but also tell you straight out what you can improve on...constructive criticism is a big part of these forums.

sporadic and quotive...sporadic's "loneliness" touched me and gave me the urge to write more, I like quotive's short poems too, a lot of them are pretty abstract but they all come together at the end, a lot of detail packed into a small poem.

I'd have to say ~@bsolutE~ZerO~ , a lot of the poem's he posts are simply amazing, and the way he gives feedback is great...he'll tell you straight up if it was great, what could have been better, what touched him the most. His feedback has inspired me to write and post more.

I usually listen to music by Canibus, his lyrics and the way he presents them is just amazing. Mainly listen to Poet Laureate II, that is one of my favorite songs to write with.
    test
  8. ManMadeofAshes

ManMadeofAshes *DREAMER

1. What makes you write?
    the pen writes, but my hand makes it

none. its a trap. a cycle. I try to reach in every direction. (I guess a lot of them are about either love, religion, or capitalism. I also like my poems that imply self determination)

Im attached to "trash in the wind" it was the first poem that made me want to keep writing
    (i almost gave up)

only if I think about it

i like to put it straight, although.. most people miss some of my concepts which makes me sad. I guess I need to work on clarity

UFO and Quotive, always amazing with their feedback. always showing love

to distract myself when I got no money for booze. or to have something to do when I am drinking booze

no one. I enjoy a lot of the poetry in here, but I would hate to have it infect my style. I dont read poetry except here on the realm. I know its narrow minded to deny the birth of poetry and they different structures.. but I just dont like the idea of structuring my unique expression

everyone that gives more feedback than they need to. in terms of both responces, and threads they hit.

actually music fucks my shit up. I start using the beat to form my rhythm.. then the song changes and I am fucked haha!

*11. are all your poems about your own experiences.
    no. I am writing about everyone except myself. (although, most everyone turns out to be a reflection in my mirror.. so its hard to tell)
    test
  9. UnknownLady

UnknownLady Senior Member

1. If something is borthering me, my feelings, or a song.

2. Love, happiness, and heart break.

3. There are so many but my favorite one is I'm Tired.

4. Yes it is so hard for me to title my poems. I have a lot of poems that aren't titled.

5. Both abstract and straight to the point. I learn from them both.

6. Mind-Soul
    Da-Smoothest-Talka (dosen't post any more)
    I poet
    Sun- Flower
    I haven't been in here for a long time so the list could change but these were my fav when I would post back in the day

7. Because it let me free myself from my problems and I get to see a lot of talented people.

8. All the poets because they have their own style and it's a honor to beable to sit and read wonderful poetry.

9. I respect all the poets in here.

10. Slow jamz, R&B music. Sometimes I tend to go on the deep end and listen to rap,rock, pop, and country. (laughs)
    test
  10. NineFiveZeroOne

NineFiveZeroOne ^Da Phuck iT Mean?

1. What makes you write?
    anything that can cause an emotion..

loneliness,death, love,hate,the way
    the sky moves at it's own pace..

i honestly hate them all.

sometimes

both mixed together.

haven't gotten around to read much of the others yet.

Influences and motivations

none yet

none yet.

mainly jazz or some old southern blues.
    test
  11. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

1. What makes you write? I have no idea. If I knew, I'd bottle it, but poems just hit me. I don't think I've labored over a poem yet. My songs I can write as effortlessly, but I tend to labor over those more because there are just other considerations.

2. Favorite subject to write about? Despair. I've been in it so much when I was a kid that I figure I can help people with the words that I write. Love is too cliched and when I wasn't in love, it was easier. Now that I know what it is, it's a lot harder to express that which I find incapable of being put in words.

3. Whats your favorite piece that you've written? I'll slap the fool that asks this to me. I've been writing poems seriously for half of my life (fourteen years) and there is no possible way I can remember all my pieces, let alone choose a favorite.

4. Is it hard for you to title your poems? No, they hit me just like the poem does. Sometimes it makes no sense to anyone but me, but for me, titling it anything else would be just sinfully wrong, so I don't. Some titles include lead clouds, forbidden windfruit, comiri, split pea soup. There's no rhyme or reason to the titles. The poems fit a different set of rules...

5. Do you like a more abstract approach of writing, or straight to the point? A hybrid of both. Saying things straight out to me isn't a poem, really. And when you see a poem of mine that seems straight forward, look harder. You've missed something I intended to hide for the sake of revealing to you later.

6. Who's your favorite poet(s) of the Realm? Feme Sole because I feel her intellect pouring into the words. Mind~Soul, and this other girl who's handle is I think Nenita or something. I know her aim handle and one of her poems FLOORED ME.

Oh, and that BlackSoultan is fuckin' AMAZING! [funny]

7. Why do you visit the Realm? I used to visit the realm to get feedback on my work; not anymore. I don't feel the need to do that anymore. I've finished writing my album/book, and I have learned that many other poets will trash a person's work if they don't get it at first glance, or are somewhat intimidated by it. Therefore, I don't often trust the replies. That leaves me to feel retired from posting. But as far as reading? I'll sometimes come in here to reply to threads no one seems to read. There are too little replies and too many posts in here sometimes, so on rare occasions, I'll show up to be inspired.

8. Who's influenced you the most here? Not many people, really. Largely because I'm rarely here.

9. What poet do you most respect here? Mind~Soul

10. What kind of music gets you in the mood to write? I can be inspired by any form of music, but then I have to turn it off and write that which was spoken to me as a conduit from God through the music. Last year I was listenning the new Dwele album and Roy Hargrove joint, and I just kept writing and kept writing and kept writing! It was my most prolific moment. I don't get what it was about those two albums, but I could not stop. Even members of rm.com were like "damn, kid! A new one again??!?" So I guess that which is generically called "neo-soul" leads the pack, but classical music, country music, hip hop, all of em could do it. Different things speak to me in different ways.
    test
  12. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

damn, I need to make it here more often. Didn't nobody mention The Soultan in 6 or 8...
    test
  13. Burning Soul

Burning Soul New Member

1. What makes you write?
    my emotions and exsperinces.
    my life.
    either my world or strong spirt.
    no, not really. sometimes.
    5. Do you like a more abstract approach of writing, or
    straight to the point?
    abstract. i can compare my feeling to objects.
    quotive...he is fucking ill.
    to post my poems and to get them out there.. and to see what other think of my poems.
    quotive.
    quotive.
    punk rock/rock. such as dashboard,avril lavinge,the mest groups like that.
    test
  14. InTheStars

InTheStars Reflective

1. What makes you write?
    Mainly my own thoughts/feelings about the past and present and how I am as a person.

Myself, although I try to write about other things, everything just ends up incorporating me into the mix..lol

My favorite piece is yet to be created...it is in the making though...I can feel it

Extremely hard for me...I want something to be peeped so I want an interesting title, but what it comes down to in the end is who knows you already here, and what they like, and if they like you already

I have been called pretty simple, so straight to the point is for me, but I don’t see anything wrong with that at all, even if I am trying out new things.

I have to say I really like Really’s approach to things and I enjoy Mind~$oul, RealMS and Man Made of Ashes, catches my eye. I also like Soul Sovereign.

To see what others think about poems, not particularly my own.

Mind~$oul, and Really encouraging comments and words...And the fact that everyone keeps creating is an inspiration all its own.

Mind~$oul and RealMS, and Really

I just play one of the playlists on my computer and it’s always a mixture of what ever you can think of so that is what I listen to...a mixture.
    test
  15. nathedawg

nathedawg New Member

1.what makes you write.... hmmm.. btw its been a hot minute since ive been here... so bare with me!! What makes me write... i think its due to the fact Ive always had an interest in expressing myself.. so i think writing thus far has been my best way of expressing myself

2.Favorite subject to write about? I usually write whatever comes to my mind... usually its love and despair... but in the near future its gonna change

3.Favorite piece that Ive written... hmm.. well Ive been writing since I was like 12. If i had to pick a favorite it would have to be a piece i did awhile ago and guess what i cant even think of the title right now!! that shows you how many pieces Ive wrote... haha.. all I can remember is the content

4.Is it hard for you to title your poems? that would be a "yes"!!

5.I like a more abstract and straight to the point approach

6. who is my favorite poets here in the realm....hmm.. (current updated)!! 1. tie, Quotive and Xero, 2. tie, Allnakey and Mindsoul 3. IntheStars 4.ManMadeof Ashes
    test
  16. Catch TWENTY 2

Catch TWENTY 2 Poet Extrodinaire

1. What makes you write?
    Problems in the world, how I feel, Love, Everything makes me write
    Anything. I don't really favor one thing over the other
    I've got a piece called "Who I B-L-A-C-oKay"
    Yes, at first I didn't title my poems. But now I just throw a title out there. If it works, fine. If not, I'll worry about it later
    Straight to the point
    Ain't really been around
    I want to see what other people write about and think about the world.
    Nobody, I'm influenced by life
    Ain't really been around
    test
  17. Xero Satsujin

Xero Satsujin OnLy gOd kNoWs oR Goes

1)I'd have to say that as of lately, nothing has MADE me write. I'd like to every now and then, but it's been nearly a 3 months since I've written anything worth reading. So to short hand answer the question, I make me write.

2)Triumph over adversity would have to be my favorite subject to write about. It's a beautiful thing. That and change. There was a quote I read in a book once that stated, "Change is always disruptive. Whether it be for better or worse, it is always disruptive." That holds truth if I've ever heard it.

3)I've got this piece called, "Mental Fuck." It's about mentally waking up and not really accepting the world around as the truth. Not only is it about that, but it's also about conquering the night of the mind in which there is no moon or stars.

4)I don't think a title makes a poem. Yea, it attracts a lot of attention, especially if it's something flashy and wild. I remember Anaphora and myself got into a dispute about a title I had and the poem had little to nothing to do with the title. It was called, "From Atoms to Adam." And it lead to a lot of arguing within the realm, lol...

5)I like to beat around the bush a lot when I write. Give the reader something to play with mentally before they actually can see what's going on. Tell a story if need be just to prove a point.

6)To date, number one favorite would have to be Nu Afrika. That guy is just sick with his writing style and topics. Absolutely incredible. But then, my homie 49th Prophet, who doesn't come around anymore is also up there. Of course the ones that everybody usualy mentions, (Mind Soul, lpoet, Feme Sole, Guy With A Pen). Some one else though, who I admire as a writer would have to be DaJackle. Got to work with him on a piece and he's a very insightful writer as well. I have a long list after that though, which is in no particular order. Manmadeofashes, Quotive, chylltyrant, psycho69, tooshort21, misspimp(holla at ya boi sometime), Anaphora, Brit Boi Gee, Madpoet(sometimes), AllNakey, Bhetia(not sure if I spelled it right, but those who know her know who I'm talkin about), FuckedupKidPR(fly ass poet), and quite a few others that I can't think of right now.

7)I thrive on reading, learning, and teaching. This is an excellent place to put those three skills to work.

8)It's sad to say, but unfortunately I am like a brick wall with grafitti all over it. Though I am covered with art work, it doesn't change the fact that I am still a wall. With that said, it means I am hard to influence, but if I were to name one in particular, it would have to be lpoet. When I first started posting here, he used to stay on my case about stuff, helping me see shit I'd fuck up on. He also interviewed me and put me up in the Poets spotlight. Him, along with Mind Soul and AllNakey are my good influences here in the realm. We are usually on a first named basis, so that makes us not just poets, but peers.

9)Where I come from, respect is something earned or taken, but never loosely given. So those who have earned my respect already know because I make sure to acknowledge it and them. But to name a few, 49th Prophet, DaJackle, Misspimp, Mind Soul, lpoet, JamesXavier, Brit Boi Gee, AllNakey, Anaphora, Manmadeofashes, Evg.Poet, Bhetia oh, and my baby Shawtieliteskin and there are a few others I can't think of to mention, but don't think I forgot ya.

10)Anything that sounds lyrical or poetical. Example, I love Lauryn Hill just as much as I love Staind. Lauryn has this one line about love,

"Loving you is a like a song I replay
    Every three minutes and thirty seconds of every day
    And every chorus was written for us to recite
    Every beautiful melody of devotion every night
    It's potion like this ocean that might carry me
    In a wave of emotion to ask you to marry me
    And every word, every second, and every third
    Expresses the happiness more clearly than ever heard
    And when I play them, every chord is a poem
    Telling the Lord how grateful I am cause I know him
    The harmonies possess a sensation similar to your caress
    If you asking then I'm telling you it's yes
    Stand in love, take my hand in love, God bless"

and that's just a small piece, but it's beautifully crafted, and it also makes me wanna write just readin it again. So it depends on the content of the song to drive me to write.

Now I have a question for all the other poets. What else do you do to express yourself aside from writing poetry? I draw, and I used to paint, but as of lately, I've been getting back into the study of Martial Arts. Just curios, take it easy, and thanx for the opportunity, peace...
    test
  18. nathedawg

nathedawg New Member

Now I have a question for all the other poets. What else do you do to express yourself aside from writing poetry? I draw, and I used to paint, but as of lately, I've been getting back into the study of Martial Arts. Just curios, take it easy, and thanx for the opportunity, peace...

Answering Xero's question^^^
    I find that everytime I play basketball that Its like a stress reliever, it takes me away from all the propaganda bullshit and the rest of society.
    test
  19. quotive

quotive 3

To Xero's question..

I draw also.. rarely though. I usually spend MONTHS on one drawing, trying to perfect it. Thats about all though, poetry, rap, and drawing.
    test
  20. nathedawg

nathedawg New Member

one other thing that completes me is music... rap mainly, but music in general
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.