question for the BJJ players

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Macabre, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Exactly... That's my point. I'm not saying that single legs are ineffective. Obviously, you have to go with what your given or you're a retard. You can't go into a combination saying I'm gonna do this/this/this and this cuz you have to work based on their reaction and the angles you have to work with. My whole point is, I find there are way more opportunities to get the takedown with the double than there is with the single....

I usually faint and see how they react off the faint and work from there. Sometimes it ends up leg kick into a clench. It always depends on what your given. And again, TO ME, I feel the double leg ends up the choice for takedown.

I never go straight in for a double either. That's just ignorant. It has to be set up. I don't go straight jujitsu. We spar with hands (not full contact) 'n kicks but the goal is to end up on the ground. Obviously, not the full effect because a REAL kick to the thigh opens up A LOT of different options as do REAL punches to the face. But again, when I train it's never just clench 'n try to find ways to bring them down. That's boring to me. I much rather have everything set up more realistically.
    test
  2. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

And no, it didn't come off that way. AGAIN, I never said single legs aren't effective. I think there's a time and place for everything. I just find there's a lot more times and places to use the double. My opinion. But even over the double, I like the clench and rolling 'em into a sweep. I don't use tosses... Again, I think judo is pretty ineffective in MMA situations. VERY FEW judo guys in MMA pull off them fancy tosses. Just not realistic when there's so much more involved outside of just clench. And giving up the back becomes very easy with a lotta judo tosses...
    test
  3. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

I've never taken a formal class, but I've learned a little bit from others and whatnot. I think it's fun and I'd definitely like to learn more sometime, but here's a few opinions on the takedown discussion:

Big advantage with single legs in an MMA format is that you can throw in some strikes if your opponent doesn't go down. Switch until you get the takedown, ko, or just beat em up a little and resume standing. So I'd say so far I prefer single legs just because I can switch back to striking easier.

Plus single legs are a little more accessible for people that aren't master grapplers, especially if you're right handed against a south paw. People really good at grappling don't seem to have this problem though.

But on the other hand I think double legs are harder to defend against. Usually if you have good balance and an opponent overextending himself, you have a lot of opportunities while he tries a single leg, while with a good double leg you really just want to stay on your feet or land in the best way possible.
    test
  4. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

^^^ Exactly. That's basically what I've been saying. Doubles are harder to defend against.
    test
  5. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

double legs are far easier to defend against. however a double leg SUNK IN is hard as hell to defend against, its sinking it in and clasping your hands together thats hard to do against a well trained opponent
    test
  6. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Yeah. Sunk in... I said that way earlier. But again, I think more often than not, it's still harder to defend against a double than a single...
    test
  7. Ben Official

you said sunk in?? i was talking about the whole takedown dude. of course a sunk in double is way harder to defend lol. but its also way harder to get a sunk in double in the first place.
    test
  8. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I disagree... Not if set up correctly with strikes... Again, you're talking about straight jujitsu. In an actual mix of striking/sparring into a double... It's not that hard... Unless the person you fighting has NO respect for your striking...
    test
  9. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Oh wait, and "sunk in" wasn't the term I used. I think I said something about once the arms are actually wrapped around the thighs or somethin' of that nature...

OH YEAH... And in the midst of that, I forgot to say: when you do a double properly, you can often end up in side control regardless...
    test
  10. Ben Official

arms wrapped up is sunk in same thing. and if its done absolutely perfect you can end up in cross body but most of the time thats not happening.
    test
  11. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Yeah, I know. That's why I was just saying I didn't say exactly "sunk in" but I did say arms wrapped around.

And I disagree. There's different ways to do double legs. If you use the method where you're turning your body sideways with your ear to the thigh, then you SHOULD be able to pull side control barring a slick maneuvre by the du' gettin' taken down... If you drive straight through or come upward, it'll be straight into the guard. Depends on what method you use to do your doubles...
    test
  12. Ben Official

yep and i'm assuming you were talking about drive straight through since you were talking about being able to slam your opponent. like i said if i go for a double im going for it the long way. ill get high crotch and turn the corner then grab their other leg and take them down sideways into side control. shooting straight in and getting your arms wrapped around both of their legs is harder to get against a good wrester/bjj fighter
    test
  13. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

^^^ agreed.
    test
  14. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Earlier today was rolling with this du' who doesn't train jiu-jitsu but has over 125 pounds on me and benches like 350+. I'm a featherweight by the way. It was rough... He obviously had wrestling background the way he sprawled...

Early on, got 'em in a guillotine in half guard and after a 'lil struggle of him trying to pry my arms loose, he tapped.... Thank God his jiu-jitsu game was non-existent because I only had 'em in half guard... That was round one and it took me one minute max.

Second time around, we were rolling all over the place for like 4 minutes which included him picking me up 'n slamming me (I held his leg to lighten the fall)... He had more dominant positions but he wore down while I conserved a lotta energy but he gave out due to being exhausted... I was basically letting him blow his energy... But IMO, he still won being he had dominant position way more often... But regardless, I pulled the shit outta my back... Didn't realize it until the adrenaline ran out but my back is jacked the fuck up now.... Sharp ass pain on the lower right side of my back.... aggghhh... It comes with rolling tho'... Blehhh... I was pretty frustrated because his legs were so strong and I couldn't get some of the sweeps I normally get when someone stands in half guard.

People who say size doesn't matter lie... It makes shit A LOOOOTTTT harder...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.