Question for everyone..

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

If christianity was true would you become a christian. And do u want there to be a God or is the reason your so skeptical really have to do with u not wanting there to be..?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  2. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Personally, as a Christian I used to think that if God was not real and I knew He wasn't real then it wouldn't matter much - to the point that I felt the message would be good enough by itself to merit practising the religion (if there was truth to the death of Jesus on the cross, and his deliberate intent to save).

However, without the faith that I had then that God is real, I find that I cannot by my own mind anymore come to the same conclusion. I see it as a faith issue, that. I think this is admitting a bit of truth to the idea that you can't put the same faith in men that you would God. At least, personally, I know I can't put the same faith in men that I would God so it's true to me in that sense, I mean I wouldn't worship a man knowing that He is just a man. I think worship is an indication that faith is on a much higher level in religion than it is anywhere else. As a religious person you might find believing that we are descendants of an ancient species of monkeys to be so absurd that it takes more faith than to believe that God created the world, but at the end of the day do people who actually believe that worship that monkey which they believe they came from?

But sorry, I'm really getting off topic. Let me answer your questions.

If Christianity was true, would I be a Christian?

Well, it's hypothetical. Like I said I used to think that if I knew God to be false I would probably hope that the tradition continued. And I'm not saying I'm against the tradition now. I'm glad it is still there for me based on the chance I have a change of mind. I mean, surely the scriptures would still be around to look at if Christianity somehow dies but imagine if everyone stopped believing it and then sometime down the road you really start to feel that it is true. You wouldn't be starting absolutely from scratch, but if there was no church, you would have to begin that process all over again. There's a hypothetical.

If I felt certain that Christianity was true, I don't see why I wouldn't be a Christian. Who would pick the losing side and go to Hell? I'd have to be pretty stupid to pick the side that I knew beforehand was doomed, and that God's side was so awesome and everything was a set up by God that at the end it would be in His favor. I'm not really sure why anyone would choose what God has planned for them if they don't accept Him.

Do I want there to be a God?

Yeah, I'm pretty conscious about myself that I do want there to be a God. I'm still hoping in a way. But there's another side to me. It is not a side that says I hope God isn't real, but as side that is at peace with the thought that maybe there isn't a God. And I think to some degree you need to be at peace with unknown, or with the thought of death, before you ever really give up the myth. I don't say myth to insinuate that religion is a myth and therefore not true, but rather that because there are many mysteries in life including what happens to us when we die. If you can't be comfortable with that and if you don't believe in God you will be full of fear.

On the other hand, there are ways in which I can conceive of life after death that do not require a God - that's what I mean by myth... where we try to unravel the mystery through the use of our minds, and we assert things which we do not know. Whether they are true or not cannot be known at this time, the kinds of things I can conceive of. I am comfortable enough with death to not assert an afterlife or a Heaven, but I think the mystery is still there for me as I think it is for many. But I'm really not sure that I'm entirely opposed to making up my own stuff that may be seen as an opponent of other religions. I wouldn't accept anything I made up myself as fact except the facts that it agrees with. I probably wouldn't push others to put their total faith in my word either. I wouldn't claim that any god existed if I didn't believe it, but myths about other things I see as fair game as long as they are understood to be subject to be disproved, and even allowed to seen as fiction by anyone interested in them.
    test
  3. TheBigPayback

word. The purpose of the thread is just me trying to gage where peoples hearts are at. Many times skeptics would rather there not be a God so they dont have to feel conviction for things they do, and to continue to live as they see fit. I like ur answer tho.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  4. The Steve

The Steve Space monkey I am not

If Christianity were true would I become a Christian....

Absolutely not. I have a problem with authority, I moreso have a problem with bi-polar schizo 'i'll-drown-the-whole-planet-because-im-mad-wahhhh' authority. Your god's a mentally unstable, ego driven dictatorial nutcase.

I really would much rather be distanced from him.
    test
  5. TheBigPayback

cool u answered honestly so id assume you are on the side of the rather. Which means there no point trying to prove anything to you. But good. Now i know not to focus on you. Spiritual death is seperation from God so in essance youll get what you want. An if your comfortable with that i am as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  6. The Steve

You can't prove anything to me anyway, you have no proof of anything, at all.

And I have a connection to all life and the universe, which is most definitely not your god. Your god is the bringer of doom and eternal consequences, a most preposterous and utterly ridiculous theory.
    test
  7. TheBigPayback

umm. I can go threw a list of biblical truths. And ur idea of God is as twisted as a damn helix. But if u ever have a awakening moment an need some clarity for your narrow lil view of life. Ill still be here to spanky yo ass an send you back in the direction of truth.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  8. The Steve

You keep talking about biblical truths, even made a thread for it, yet you haven't posted shit yet.
    test
  9. TheBigPayback

Cus u came in here talkin all dat shit. U were the one baitin me in.. So u have the burden of proof there bub. Didnt u go to H.S. Ya no? So i made a thread an u didnt post shit about shit. An plus im not highly interested in you if you wouldnt accept a truth anyway. But like i said. Post some falisy and i again will concede. An feel free to peep the prophecies thread i will updating more as i got threw the 2000 already fullfilled prophecies.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  10. The Steve

I don't need to disprove stories that have no basis in reality. You want me to disprove the unprovable, it's asinine.
    test
  11. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

well the bible says that in the day of jesus birth the ceasar called for a census.. the roman law backs that up.. it also correllates with the age of our earth seeing as our calendar is based around the birth and death of christ... im just sayin

even the american dollar says in god we trust.
    test
  12. TheBigPayback

in a court of law eyewitness accounts, historical record from other provinces that colaborate accounts, we know jesus was a real man, i got more proof for it than u do against it. Other than ur unicorn comment u aint serious so i aint seriously bouta waste my time.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  13. lyricalpriest

I think i posted a great thread about jesus:Liar Lunatic Lord....
    test
  14. lyricalpriest

if christianity were confirmed more true then i already believe it to be, i'd probly become a missionary
    test
  15. TheBigPayback

Is that what u feel called to do?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.