question about singing/being too loud

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by RecordingNow..., Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RecordingNow...

RecordingNow... New Member

how do you not peak out when singing loud? you just turn the gain down? then boost it? or?
    test
  2. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

It's called mic technique. Stop singing so loud.
    ...and/or compress on the way in.
    test
  3. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

pad switch, use it
    test
  4. styll_amz

styll_amz New Member

whats a pad switch
    test
  5. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

look on the mic/pre...there should be a switch that says 0 on one side and like -15 or -20 on the other

that's the pad switch, it lowers the volume
    test
  6. Fame-S

Fame-S New Member

not all mics have em. i've never switched mine to -15 or -20 or watever it is on my mic. i jus try to set my gain at a good amount and try to keep a consistant volume. thats with rapping tho...maybe its harder to do so with singing.
    test
  7. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

compression on the way in should fix the issue. this is what hardware compressors are for
    test
  8. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

hardware compressors are not only for compressing to tape....
    test
  9. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

im aware of this but im saying this is one of the main uses for a compressor. never said only i just said thats what they are for
    test
  10. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

ehh, a pad works way better than compressing to tape

especially if you're not sure about the settings for your compression
    test
  11. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

im not saying dont use pad im saying use both. i get what ur sayin but i have no issues with over compression lol. as long as it works it works
    test
  12. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

yeah i guess...but once it's there it's impossible to fix if it's recorded that way
    test
  13. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

yea but if it sounds good why not
    test
  14. TruMentillz

TruMentillz SampleRapist

i cant see arcane coming back on that one...ooooh...lmao...

j/k
    test
  15. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

probably be cause it's true
    test
  16. Apexx

Apexx Engineer / Club Promoter

compress then re-tune your highs since compression ALWAYS cuts highs. Don't change the way you sing, that changes your timbre and attenuation in your notes which = bad idea. For the same reason that mumbling while recording and turning the vol up doesn't get the same results as shouting and turning the volume down. Same vol - WAY different sound.
    test
  17. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

wait...what? it does? since when?
    test
  18. RePerCuZionZ

RePerCuZionZ Square-Wave Creator

since when did a compressor act as a filter
    test
  19. Apexx

Apexx Engineer / Club Promoter

Ever since compressing decreased your volume on your high side and raised it on your low side which cuts the shit out of any detail in your highs and raises your vol in your lows (you know..where your bass rolls off and slides toward "mud"?) and makes your voc's sound overly boomy and "filmy".

Don't believe me? Mix down one of your tracks with some heavy compression, vs the original take without any compression then bust out a spectral analyzer and look at the difference with the same peak dB's. Frequencies present in the uncompressed aren't present in the post compressed at the identical output vol. Of course you know..the volume in your voice comes soley from the frequencies your vocal cords generate. So when cutting (or adding) volume from your vocals, what do you think it's really turning up and down?

Dont get me wrong, I use compression on the regular, but you can't expect anything you do adjust one level of anything to not require tuning to compensate for what you're cutting. That's the basics of tuning, isn't it? This works for the same reason your mic has more accuracy without a 10dB pad in and then turning the line-in up 10dB's vs. with no pad and turning line-in down 10dB's. Mics, tuning software, etc only cut frequencies which translate to volume. Nothing more, nothing less.
    test
  20. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

um....right

if that's what compression did, no one would ever use a compressor

are you sure you're not using a de-esser, sidechain (like the waves c1 which has a built in EQ as well), or multiband compressor? lmao because that's the only way what you're saying would happen, and only if you heavily compressed the high end and didnt touch the low end

all the tracks on my page were heavily, heavily compressed, and trust me, none of the high end information was boosted

besides, you usually want the bass to be 'louder' then the top end due to fletcher munsen curves and the fact that your ears don't have a linear frequency response to different frequencies
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.