Question about Milk.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Macmili, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macmili

Macmili Thorough

I been drinkin whole milk lately cuz it tastes way better than 1% which is usually what's around. I know alot of people don't drink it because they want to lose weight. Me being skinny as shit, I'm not worried about packin on a couple pounds. I am concerned with the other possible negative effects of it though. Is the extra fat in it bad for you even if you're skinny? Holler.
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

dont worry drink the 2%
    test
  3. Macmili

Macmili Thorough

Whole Milk is a step above 2% right? I'm talkin whole milk straight out of the cow practically.
    test
  4. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Milk has a lot of sugar. The one I used to drink had 26g in an 8 oz glass. That's a lot when you consider soda has about 45g per12 oz can. It may not be the same sugar, but it's still obviously a lot.

As far as putting on quality weight, sugar is a no-no. But if you don't mind, knock yourself out.
    test
  5. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

the problem with milk isnt the fat....its the sugars in it....and the hormone it releases in the body...

i think whole food would be better for gaining muscle mass...or atleast a quality protein shake mixed some other ingredients like almonds or berries or whatever...
    test
  6. supacilious

lol damn...we posted at the same time...

but ill add some more info....since i forgot to mention that most of the world(70%) is lactose intolerant...lactose is one of major sugars in milk...even if you have drank milk all your life...you could still have trouble digesting the lactose...same with peanuts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance
    test
  7. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

seriosly, dont worry about the sugar in milk. its perfectly fine to drink if your gaining weight.
    test
  8. Gorilla Nasty

I'm just saying, if you want to put on fat also in however minute quantities, sugar is no good. The only sugar I'd actually recommend is fruit post work out. And by fruit I mean predominantly apples because they contain a fair amount of fiber.

Ben Official stop drinking milk for two weeks and I'll bet money you get leaner.
    test
  9. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Fat is optimal, especially if your an athlete.

I mean, don't go all out and eat without regard and try to consume more "good fats" but don't yourself in a choke hold over it.. especially if you naturally thin.
    test
  10. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

drink your damn milk.
    test
  11. Gorilla Nasty

Fat is not optimal.

That's why recommended body fat for men is 10% and 15% for women.

Or why 90% of athletes have bodyfat %'s in the single digits.

You are what you eat.

The only good fats are in fish, avocados, nuts and seeds.

If your sole purpose is gaining weight, go ahead. but you will also put on a little fat with it.
    test
  12. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Milk is an amazing mass gainer. Drink it. If you're extremely skinny than you're fine drinking whole milk. If you start gaining too much body fat cut back to 2% or 1%.

Who cares if milk has sugar in it? Milk has a very very low GI rating so it's not causing a big insulin spike.

Milk is something like 80% whey protein and 20% casein protein, providing both a quick protein absorption and slow absorption.

Milk is amazing. Milk tastes amazing. Milk is delicious. I drink almost a gallon a day.

Drink milk.
    test
  13. Purple Haze

You obviously don't know shit.

Read
    http://www.nflhs.com/fitness/features/NutritionFatFacts_07172006_jjc.asp

wtf @ 90% of atheletes have bodyfat % in the single digits.

did you make that up?
    test
  14. Gorilla Nasty

Well let's see Purple Haze.

Since average healthy body fat for a man is 10%, do you think it would be a stretch to say that most athletes are in single digits? Or are they in worse than average health? I'm in the 10-12% range and I know by looking that most athletes are still leaner than I am.

as I said, the only good fats are those found in nuts, seeds, avocados, fish and a few other things. Any other fat you can eat isn't good. does that mean I'll drop dead from eating it? No. Will I drop dead from taking one drag from a cigarette? No. but the cumulative effects do add up.
    test
  15. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Monounsaturated- Excellent
    Saturated- Good
    Polyunsaturated- Bad
    Trans fat- Terrible

That's my take on it.
    test
  16. Purple Haze

You're delusional... maybe for an ectomorph, but the average bodyfat for a man is around 18%.

where do you get your information from?
    test
  17. Gorilla Nasty

No, the "ideal" (not established by me) for your average man is supposed to be in the 10-12% range.
    test
  18. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

18% is rediculously high. granted that is only the norm because the level of obesisty in the United States, just because its an "average" doesnt make it normal.

10-12 is considered "low" and i think most atheletes will have that range aside from sports like baseball because it is much less active in comparison to something like basketball or tennis.
    test
  19. supacilious

im not saying people shouldnt drink milk...there is alot of people who can drink milk fine...but some cant because they gain fat...and the sugars in it are the reason why they cant...

milk does cause an insulin spike despite its GI rating...they had to make a whole new index just for insulin response called the insulin index because the glycemic index is not an accurate indicator of insulin response...
    test
  20. sreeja

sreeja New Member

In my opinion drinking milk is not cause any harm to an average person.The milk cannot rise the fat content .
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.