(Quality Check) Would you press-N-release this?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Ghost863boy, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost863boy

Ghost863boy Original 863 Boy

I need opinions on if I should press up this kind of quality and use for handouts at shows and on the street, or if I should keep trying to get it better before I do so.

If I keep waiting and remixing I feel like it'll never be good enough so somebody tell me. please.

http://www.soundclick.com/bombsquadproductions

I'm using the presonus eureka preamp into the m-audio firewire with the m-audio luna mike.

Any tips?
    test
  2. FREEZYSHOP

FREEZYSHOP LEEFREEZY

Its Not Bad.. I Done Heard Worst
    test
  3. Ghost863boy

Thanks, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
    test
  4. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

definitely not a fan of the huge amount of vocal doublings, my guess is theres at least three layers of vocals, it sounds alright for the hooks as an effect, but during the verses its way overdone

vocals are too low in the mix (slightly, mostly during the verses)
    beat sounds like it's from your standard pre-mixed internet producer (ie. some parts of the beat are either way to loud, distorting or just sound like ass in general)
    a little too much reverb/time based effects in a couple of the songs
    compression on the vocals is alright, maybe a little under compressed (could be the fact that the beats weren't compressed enough instead...most producers seriously under-use compression)
    Eq wise, it's a little dull for my taste, but if that's what you're going for, then so be it, again, this could be a volume issue as well

as far as if you should get it pressed and release it, i'd say no, it's not nearly close to the quality of your standard radio tracks, but it'd make a decent demo if you're selling it offstage or whatever for like $3-5
    test
  5. Ghost863boy

Thank you very much Arcane, exactly the type of response I was looking for. I have experimented a little with compression but I have yet to get it to work with both the vocals and the beat together. I can get the beats to sound good by themselves, or the vocals to sound good but when I put them together it always seems like the vocals don't fit anymore? Ah, need to keep practicing I guess.

Thanks a lot for feedback.

Anybody else?
    test
  6. A2KAY

A2KAY New Member

they sound good to me. i'd love to get that quality.

but yeah, upping the vocals would be good.
    test
  7. Ghost863boy

Thanks a2kay, good looking out. I'm not no pro or nothing obviously but I can guarantee when I started making music it made this stuff here sound PLATINUM.

It takes time and experience and I still got mountains worth to learn. Luckily I do this for the love of it and not trying to get rich quick or else I would've quit like years ago.

I think I may record and mix all the tracks one more time and see what I come up with.
    test
  8. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

this shit sounds really nice in my opinion but then again im listening on laptop speakers but that quality is respectable... obviously not radio play platinum quality but very good for home studio
    test
  9. Ghost863boy

Thanks kaotic.

By the way all the people who replied so far if you have a link i'm gonna check yall's music in the morning, gotta get some shut-eye for work right now.
    test
  10. Ghost863boy

anybody else?
    test
  11. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

what gear did u record this with
    test
  12. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

"I'm using the presonus eureka preamp into the m-audio firewire with the m-audio luna mike."
    test
  13. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

i missed that which firewire theres like 5 of them
    test
  14. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

basically when i mix 'pop' (rap/rock/rnb/top 40) music, i compress the shit out of everything so it fits together like a puzzle. you have to work with the beat and vocals together, and because with most pop music the vocals are the focal point of the song followed by the rythm section (drums + bass), i find it's best to start here. get the drums sounding good together, add the bass. make sure that the bass and the kick drum don't conflict and that they work together. after this, add in your vocals and get them sitting in with the drums and bass. after that, bring in your other instruments and "sit" them around the vocals so they're loud enough to hear, but not overpowering the vocals. as these are most likely things like pianos, guitars or synths, watch out for masking, where the louder of two frequency related instruments will completly cover (or mask) the quieter of the two. panning is a good solution for this problem as is eq (remove the vocal fundamental/harmonics from the other instruments so that the vocals 'pop' out)

mixing isn't complicated, but it's not exactly easy either....you have to know what to do in certain situations, and what tools to use to do it
    test
  15. Ghost863boy

To xabiton its the 410, I only ever need to input my mike or the guitar sometimes so it didn't make any sense to pay for the extra inputs.

At arcane....
    You said about getting the kick and bass to sit well together..........
    Is this a use for sidechain compression (I think I've read that)? If so, what is the best program to set up sidechain compression in (I mostly use fl studio). And what compressor will work for this?

Also, I've just recently began exporting my beats into seperate tracks (drums,bass, percussion, piano/instruments) so now i will be able to mix the way your talkin about. Up until now I have been just making the beats and then going back and writing to them and trying to mix the vocals in after the beat is already done. So that step should be pretty easy for me now.

Also, will monitors make that much of a difference in my mixes? If so, I'm looking for a pair between 600-1000, also I don't know whether to go for a sub or not, I heard it makes acoustics in the room worse if you use a sub?

please help.
    test
  16. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

^ arcane will say the following...

yes monitor's will make that much of a difference in your mixes.

followed by....

go to the store, listen to them, pick which ones you like best, buy them.
    test
  17. Ghost863boy

lmao @ kaotic33, I kinda already felt thats what he would say, was just expecting to hear it from him. lol

you know anything bout sidechain compression?
    test
  18. Ghost863boy

and what about the sub for the monitors?
    test
  19. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

sub -> not really a good idea

as for sidechain compression, this really isn't a case that i'd use it (like fitting a kick + bass together), at least not usually anyways
    test
  20. Ghost863boy

thanks again. what compressor plugins do you recommend? I have the waves diamond bundle, a lot of voxengo stuff, the khaerjus golden set (spelling?), and some other random stuff, but don't know which I should be using. (yea, I know use my ears right?)

Most of the time my fx routing is:

vocal track>waves c4>submix bus1(rest of vocal tracks)>EQ>waves c4 (again)>either waves rverb or wavearts masterverb>submix 2 (with beat)>out
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.