purpose

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by iceheart, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceheart

iceheart The Frozen Poet

i am trying to decide what i should do with my writing style. the way i write is intended to be an easy read that allows for a clear mind, while infusing raw emotion into the equation. that emotion is what i use to achieve my goal with the poem.

i.e. when im trying to encourage someone, i give them words of comfort and encouragement and inspiration.

but im getting this feeling that my poems are TOO easy for some of the people here to read, and im thinking about making them more complex and intricate and adding a lil wordplay in. i say they are too easy because i am used to writing for audiences that are not... poetically inspired... and hence have little or no exposure to poetry so i must keep the stupid simple. but here...
    here, people can understand more i think.

here, i think people would respond more enthusiastically to such things as alliteration and repetition....

correct me if im wrong of course.
    or suggest something for me to mess around with. villanelles. sestinas and what not.
    test
  2. UFO the Phoenix

UFO the Phoenix I DONT BELIEVE IN ALIENS!

^it goes both ways.....some people dont respect the traditional formats here....and old style poetry is overlooked....I say write whatever you want....simple...complex....or all of thee above....its all about exploring and experimenting

I do notice more of a rap form in alot of poems in the realm that is looked down upon when you go to the real poetry spots and night clubs so I dunno where to draw that line....just do you
    test
  3. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

i say they are too easy because i am used to writing for audiences that are not... poetically inspired... and hence have little or no exposure to poetry so i must keep the stupid simple. but here...
    here, people can understand more i think.

I'm not sure of the realm. I thought you were talking in general-like in the classroom, etc. Well, I know what you're saying by that^^ because I do that in my english class.<--writing "simple" because apparently that plays a major role in what my grade may turn out to be. But, I have to write stuff in certain forms every week and it's never been taught in any of my english classes, as long as I have been in school. I don't know, I think that's crazy. I used to take this writing class but my time is so limited right now. I'm basically teaching myself as far as that goes, and that's fine and all, when I have the time. And that is barely, which is the hard part for me.

So umm, what was the question again lol?

For the most part, now a days when I write, I write when something is constantly on my mind. It's the only way to lessen that "burden." I don't think of the traditional forms, or techniques-I write my stuff in letter form. Just write it. Then, if I want to play around with it, I'll go and change it around, but really I don't most of the time.

I don't think I helped you out one bit, but the realm is a place where I go to read other's thoughts and sort of reflect on that for a moment. It's like anything else I do that I want to do, but it's not like "YOU MUST DO THIS!" you know lol. Either way,

I don't know what to tell ya!
    test
  4. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

Public schools=N E G L E C T E D
    test
  5. iceheart

iceheart The Frozen Poet

lol i dont really think i had a question... i jsut wanted to post something and get people to talk.

you should teach me some of the forms you write. i love trying to fit my creative genius into tiny boundaries. it creates some insanely complex poetry at times.
    test
  6. skandelous_lala

skandelous_lala back from the dead

In the end I truly believe you develop your own style and the truth is that it may never be the same one poem to the next.

I mean if you read poems constantly from the regulars in the realm..you come to expect a certain style from certain people but that doesn't mean their poems are set up the same way every time...I don't even know if I can explain it lol..but people certainly have their own 100% individual vibe in their writing. It can be in the way the structure their poems...do they use open forms...do they rhyme things...do they use punctuation or just line breaks...what tone..all kinds of things.

If you feel your style isn't living up to your potential (dammit there's that P word) then you should do what you feel like doing.

I don't think many poets feel compelled to actually write for their audience. At least I personally don't think you should. Maybe I'm totally wrong in that belief...maybe I shouldn't even be thinking that way for myself..I haven't figured it out yet lol...but I actually feel like my abilities are hampered if I'm going into something thinking..."I'm writing this for an audience or group"..I'm writing this just so other people can "get" it or just so other people will have something nice to say about it. No no no..can't do that. For me it kills the creative spark. It becomes a chore rather than something I enjoy.

Raw emotion is never bad...I mean emotion is what makes a poem and poem in most cases. I don't think you can go on that alone though. It needs imagery...it needs rhythem even though it doesn't hafta rhyme all the time...it needs somebody playing with the words.

Write for yourself first..I think is the main thing.
    Others response is just icing on the cake.
    I just honestly feel like when you write for somebody else...you can tell.

The response you get is ultimately so vast. There's really no telling how people will respond. Poetry is so..open like that...and that's what I love about it. One person reads one thing and it hits them a totally different way than the person next to them.

That all said..it never hurts to play around with your style and experiment. If you don't use structures then try it...I just did recently and it was a totally different writing experience, and in a good way..it made me use words totally different.

Find a poem that you really like a mimic the style of it....I wrote a piece I feel is my personal best by having to do this for a class. Dissect it..look at rhyme scheme..repitition and then mimic the form. Again..you're forced to use words in a way you probably never had before. Not easy..but invigorating =)
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.