Punchline Format

Discussion in 'Bodybag!: The BVA Hall of Shame' started by ~Prolific~, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lush One

Lush One MR. CALIFORNIA

Whats fucked up is I remember acouple years ago having conversations with hella OG heads about freestyling...that was when I was at my hungriest as far as freestyling went. every single party, show, blunt sessions, i was rapping. six, seven hours in a row of freestyling. for days, weeks, and months on end. I was gettin respect in my hood and hella bitches jockin my styles every where i spit. I was in some legendary Bay Area cyphers...I dont need to speak on all that tho. At the same time, I rapped so much, I fuckin damn near pissed off everybody around me at one point or another. not only do i have a particularly whoriderish and abbrasive rap style, i was becoming incredibly competitive and battlin muthafuckas any chance i got. i was THAT guy. i got some stripes for that behaviour most definitley but i also made a lotta homies wanna quit rappin or atleast feel hella discouraged. When I started doin the damn thang and gettin known on the battle circuit, the OG heads would tell me that 'battlin will ruin your freestyles'...i never believed them. no fuckin way. in fact, when i first got around a lot of the really talented cats that i hadn't been exposed to before (i.e. franco, passwurdz, the saurus, nocando, borat, xi, miller, yak, frank jones, illmaculate, and okwerdz)...and really built and got down, my freestyles started to improve exponentially...and belive me, I still posess my supermutant freestyle ability...that shit aint no joke. but the battles did fuck me up. and i started tryin to rhyme in a style that partially wasn't me just to appease/appeal to the crowds more easily. and its fucked up because i feel like all of yall are obvious correct, you must have a certain style RIGHT NOW in order to flourish in the battle world...but does that change the fact that the shit aint right? blah blah blah, i know, booo fuckin hoooo. but still, ima do me like peewee...wherever i spit. AND I'VE BEEN USIN 'MULTIS' AND STACKIN 'EM LIKE MAD YEARS BEFORE I EVEN KNEW WHAT THE FUCK THEY WERE...you techno douche fucks...maybe thats why those who know know and those who don't don't.

and to PROLIFIC:

Cuzzo, do you find it ironic that your idol Sage Francis called you out on not being original and being wack and formulaic and then you proceed to make a thread on rapmusic.com about 'punchline FORMAT'...what the fuck? not tryin to be a dick, homie, just pointing out the irony of the situation.

FRESH COAST.

GRAPES IN A SWISHER...

and im ghost.
    test
  2. Señor Bo

Señor Bo New Member

basically if you copy any of my shit, battles or tracks, you will be set. i'm the fuckin best rapper around.

BO
    test
  3. B dizzle

B dizzle New Member

No, that isn't ironic. That would the opposite of irony.

Anyway, a couple of points:

1. To most people battling is new or still pretty underground. Yeah, the same dumb lines and played out formulaic strucute gets cheers from most crowds, but thats because its fresh to them just like it was fresh to everyone a few years ago.

2. There is nothing wrong with having a forumla for freestyling. Its sort of akin to knowing scales and basic riffs when you're playing jazz, and having a basic feel or style underlying your improv. The key is to build off of that and make it something great. If some kid sees thesaurus and wants to use the triple thing he does all the time, good for him. It won't matter unless he steps his whole freestyle games up and does it better than all the other cats doing it. [Quick edit --] It *is* pretty gay to sit down and think "ok this is my formula, this is how I'm gonna rhyme tonight." Thats not at all what prolific was doing in this post, but I bet a lot of wack battler actually do that, and its stupid.

3. There's also nothing wrong with talking about freestyling. People say shit like "it doesn't matter, just don't think about it and freestyle." Sure thats fine... but thats just like telling someone "hey, dont think about it, just throw the football." Some natural athletes can do it with minimal training, while most poeple have to learn the mechanics.

4. I think I'm older than many people here which might be why this whole thing about battling being stupid now and great back in the good old days is so irritating. Everything changes, get over it. If you don't like it then go do something else. Just about everyone here likes undergroud rap... there's a certain personality that likes "underground" whatever and those people tend to hate thier little niche interests getting popular. I'm not saying everyone here is like that, but there are certain people who seem to really fit that description.
    test
  4. ~Prolific~

~Prolific~ New Member

everything B_dizzle said.!..

I was gonna use that jazz analogy too.
    test
  5. B dizzle

B dizzle New Member

Actually, that is possible, but only if you read Mind and Muscle Magazine and click on our ads. That latter is key.
    test
  6. intuition21

intuition21 good music and stuff.

i think the jazz analogy is unfair. there is a difference between knowing music theory and rhyming in sets of three multisyllabic rhymes because you've heard someone else do it.

yes, rappers have formulas; my point is, everyone should have their OWN formula and your influences should not be blatantly recognizeable (as in you shouldn't be able to say "that guy listens to too much __(instertrappernamehere)__).
    test
  7. B dizzle

B dizzle New Member

Thats true for any musician. Doesn't matter if he plays jazz, raps, country, whatever.

Poker might be a better analogy... you start off playing by copying some card, reading books... great, but that can only get you so far. It doesn't mean you tell people NOT to do that, its just important that they're aware that that's what EVERYONE does.
    test
  8. JAN1TOR

JAN1TOR New Member

[​IMG]
    test
  9. Lush One

Lush One MR. CALIFORNIA

whatever you cocksucker. my point was, I FIND IT INTERESTING...

and lif, im still waitin to here your response.
    test
  10. Lush One

Lush One MR. CALIFORNIA

nice try, little guy.

YOU FUCKIN CUNTRAGS. i try to lace yall with some real shit and this the muthafuckin thanks i get.

DIE!!!

12.872 Kilometer...thats some funny shit tho.
    test
  11. B dizzle

B dizzle New Member

Brilliant!
    test
  12. B dizzle

B dizzle New Member

Didn't you already give Flav his clock back, Buck Wild?
    test
  13. Lush One

Lush One MR. CALIFORNIA

no...not funny.

and your girlfriends a slut...i could smash if i ever met her.
    test
  14. Lush One

Lush One MR. CALIFORNIA

this still distracts from the main point, being its obvious why sage dissed this guy...even tho hes a nice dude, hes fuckin copying other peoples style. and soliciting other peoples advice on a message board for the most effective way to do it.

DEAR NERDY BATTLE COMMUNITY,

HOW CAN I APPEAL TO YOU?

YOUR FRIEND,

PROLIFIC

and you wonder why most hood mawfukkas aint on this bullshit.
    test
  15. B dizzle

B dizzle New Member

You're right, it's not funny. Back it the day I was a great poster... i was posting all over, every board, all the time. I was fucking awesome. After I met the great posters.... nocando, sykull, freebase... I got even better. I was raw. I made mad dudes stop posting. I just ended their who message board career.

Anyway shit done changed and the internets ain't what it used to be.

FRESH COAST.

hahahahahaha.
    test
  16. ~Prolific~

~Prolific~ New Member

Don't say you're not trying to be a dick with that comment Lush, lol! Seriously I don't care and you have the right to say whatever.. but, here is a final thought.

I guess I don't see why you condemn anyone who wants to analyze what makes a good freestyle. There is more to improving freestyle ability than getting blazed and cyphering (though I admit there is plenty of room for that). There are elements that make up good freestyles, and by searching for and learning them that doesn't mean one is biting, or being overly formulaic and unoriginal. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not Lush, you could probably analyze your rhyming style and pinpoint some problems you have as an mc that just freestyling a lot won't help. (Note: I"m not attacking you as an mc, cuz I think you're dope, but we all have things we could improve.) Personally, I noticed a pattern in my rhyming style and made a post to get an opinion from other battleheads - how does that contribute to my being unorginal and whack? I dunno man, I think we just see things differently.

Anyway, props to everyone writing in this thread, some of the stuff that's come up is really interesting. Aight, I'm gonna go freestyle now.

Peace
    test
  17. B dizzle

B dizzle New Member

Dude what the fuck is your problem? This is a fucking discussion board about rap battles. Prolific asks a question about what people think sounds better... and suddenly that becomes him asking other people how he should copy their style?

I don't know about prolific as an emcee much, but who the fuck are you to say he copies people's style?

Seriously, I know you're cool with lots of people from here and a lot of the battlers, and maybe you're fine to hang out with, but right now you're being an asshole who resorts to FRESH COAST muffackas because you have no point.

Notice how intuition and I seem to have totally different opinions on this whole topic but he gives an actual response instead of some defensive caps-lock 'ya'll ain't hood' shit.
    test
  18. ~Prolific~

~Prolific~ New Member

Ok I took the time to write a thoughtful post Lush... but meanwhile you're just writing on some dumb conspiracy-shit now.

Yes, I have come to rapmusic to raid everyone's style and make it mine, I'm not Prolific my real MC name is Bite. Have you ever learned something from another person, or would that be jacking their style? Jesus Christ!! I have nothing more to say.
    test
  19. Mistake

Mistake Dougie Darko

this thread is comedy
    test
  20. JAN1TOR

JAN1TOR New Member

i used to be THAT guy.

FRESH COAST.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.