Punchline Format

Discussion in 'Bodybag!: The BVA Hall of Shame' started by ~Prolific~, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B dizzle

B dizzle New Member

test
  2. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

if you only put up 145 ONCE you will not hit 200 in 6 months of moderate lifting.

i was able to put up 135 10 times after like 1-2 months of training then i began lifting seriously and after about 4 months i maxed out at 205.

then i got mono and couldn't lift for 3 months and lost all progress and now i worked my back up to 200 (155 bodyweight in case you're wondering)

a realistic goal for you is probably 185 in 6 months and 200 in 10 months
    test
  3. EmceeGoddess

EmceeGoddess Disgruntled Man

200 baby im a madman ive now upped the goal to 4 months, HOLLA
    test
  4. Alwayz Spitten

Alwayz Spitten New Member

Im sorry, but most people can't freestyle and sound dope anymore.. I think whatever it takes to make the crowd go crazy is what a battler needs to do.. If ur freestylin and sayin nothing comedic then thats not entertaining, who wants to watch that? Not I!
    test
  5. Serene.

Serene. New Member

^i agree, but i definately think you need to be dope with the comedic shit, theres a difference between someone like thesaurus who says funny shit but still has dope multies, and someone who just says "you look like..." etc., ALL the time and shit
    test
  6. Lush One

Lush One MR. CALIFORNIA

which crowds are being entertained?

MUTHAFUCKAS IS GETTIN BORED OF THE CLICHE AND TRITE FORMULAS...in additional to the swagger jacking.
    test
  7. Minkaveli

Minkaveli VoKab

Keep rhyming whatever style feels more comfortable and what sounds better to you. Best of luck

One
    test
  8. Minkaveli

Minkaveli VoKab

Whatever comes naturally is what I was trying to get at.
    test
  9. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

i hope you attempt 200 and drop it on your throat assbag
    test
  10. ~Prolific~

~Prolific~ New Member

I love how this thread is half about rapping and have about getting jacked.

My conclusion: the two are related - getting jacked makes you a better battle rapper.
    test
  11. B whun

B whun 3 card molly wop

look godess your personal trainers mad at you.
    test
  12. jimmy the lock

jimmy the lock The wretched of the earth

girls hate battling. I think that there is too many stats and Identified variables there aint enough of that blue note heron influenced soul. I agree with the getting jacked makes you a better rapper. being shot at, shot,selling dope, using dope, contracting std's, going to church, day dreaming at work, being back stabbed, failure, nosebleeds, the blues, samba,newports, kools, Rebelious Korean girls, Levi's, dickies, Snooze buttons, brunch, Louis vuiton, pcp, sherm, wetdaddy's, dip, loop, this ain't gingerale. peace out
    test
  13. GFunk

GFunk New Member

One Third of the thread consists of body building also.
    test
  14. Lush One

Lush One MR. CALIFORNIA

NOCANDO continues to be the single best poster on the board.

heres the top 3.

1. Nocando
    2. Sykull
    3. Freebass

treal talk ubeezys.

i just did a show with mikah nine and aplush from fellowship and hiero...those guys are true beasts. and mikah nine is the true embodiment of freestyle skill...none of this appealing to the hyperactive mtv generation faggot shit.
    test
  15. ~Prolific~

~Prolific~ New Member

"there aint enough of that blue note heron influenced soul"
    that's the best thing I've heard in a while.

I know I started this post, but I totally agree that having a formula for freestyles is whack. But you have to be on a whole other level to impress with an unformulaic style. It does suck though, cuz freestyle is supposed to be "free" (how lame am I!). Anyway, I think a lot of modern day battles have been shaped by how freestyling is caught on camera. When it is just some spontaneous rap shit happening in front of your eyes it doesn't matter if there are fuck ups... I think the capturing of freestyle footage has killed it to some extent.
    test
  16. intuition21

intuition21 good music and stuff.

but it's never impressive, to those in the know, to just mimic someone else's formula. and that's what i (and many others i talk to) think is happening right now.

it's fine that saurus has his formula and it works great for him and the dude is like a machine with the multis, but it's another thing when every other kid that watches his battles tries to sound like him. now there are a bunch of shitty clones and two or three guys with a little originality. swagger jacking is not a good look at all.

and that sentence i quoted is very telling in my opinion. if someone thinks that they AREN'T at a whole other level with their OWN style, then what the fuck is the point of battling in the first place? the whole point is to prove who the dopest mc is, and if you're just on some primate see primate do shit, you aren't a real mc and you'll never make it anywhere (and i'm not specifically talking about you pro...just the general "you").

this is basically another rant to tell anyone who's wack to quit battling and/or rapping in general.
    test
  17. ~Prolific~

~Prolific~ New Member

Ok, I like your points Intuition and I agree that you want to be able to find your own style/approach within battling (and any given field really). But the process does start with mimicking, I mean, writers read great authors and then try to write like them and they can't.. and the result is painful, shitty, writing. In order to find your own voice you have to play with what other people have already done. Once you are familiar with the form itself and what has come before you only then can you push the boundaries. And the people that are gonna be able to do that, are few and far between. But I agree the battle world could really use more performances like P.E.A.C.E at Scribble 1999, that shit was so different but so dope.

Yeah, everyone has just adopted the multie / comparison style.. that's all Scribble was this year and it was whack. + people can't do it remotely as good as Saurus. But these mcs do it because they have their little niche where they serve even whacker mcs at local clubs and feel like the shit. There are def a lot of ••••••-see ••••••-do mcs who will never innovate.. but maybe some of these people that at the moment are just copping Saurus will eventually flip into something fresh of their own. That being said I have to admit the multie style is very effective.. it rings in the ear and done properly is fucking dope.

Ok, fuck I'm going way too in depth. Just my thoughts.
    test
  18. Lush One

Lush One MR. CALIFORNIA

sounds like 'A BITER'S MANIFESTO' to me...

intuition is 100 percent correct...everything he said in this thread.
    test
  19. Voss

Voss New Member

Being 100% original while also getting props from the majority of those who hear you (as far as battling goes) is virtually impossible these days. And it's a damn shame. Not to condone full on biting, but look at a cat like Dose One, ADeeM or even P.E.A.C.E.'s battling style (not music). NoCan as well to an extent. When it comes to battling, them dudes are pretty original and on some different shit, but sometimes they lose because they don't spit what the crowd wants to hear. Battling is like borderline Def Comedy Jam shit now, IMhO. Jokes are a main component of it, and they should be, again IMO. The main objective is clowning your opponent. But now that things like multis and rhyme schemes have become so important to the point that y'all have message board conversations about "punchline formulas" (not an attack on anyone), it's getting ridiculous. Freestyling ain't about having every techinal aspect of your verse clean cut and delivered amazingly. It's fucking freestyling. Basically, everyone here has brought up good points for both sides of the argument, but IMO, NoCan hit in on the nose with the "blue note heron influenced soul" comment.

Hooray for message boards and opinions.
    :eek:)
    test
  20. intuition21

intuition21 good music and stuff.

everyone's sentiments about crowds not liking originality has basically backed up the point that organized battling jumped the shark about six or seven years ago. big time.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.