Punchline Format

Discussion in 'Bodybag!: The BVA Hall of Shame' started by ~Prolific~, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Prolific~

~Prolific~ New Member

Simple question.... for wording of punchlines. I find whenever I drop a multie I do it like so:

When I grab a mic I drop the audible heat,
    These rappers are bigger suckers than popsicle pete,
    My dog is in heat.... (next setup) <-------- transition using the multie
    (next punchline)

vs. the traditional:

When I grab a mic I drop the audible heat,
    These rappers are bigger suckers than popsicle pete,
    (pause)... next setup
    (next punchline)

I think continuing the rhyme scheme into the beginning of the next line, despite taking more skill to do, doesn't actually sound good. It also makes you have to think of another multie while preparing for your next punch.. making things more difficult. What do you think? Is it more effective just to drop the 2 bars.... pause then start anew for your next punchline?
    test
  2. EmceeGoddess

EmceeGoddess Disgruntled Man

like always, my fine canadian friend, it depends on teh rapper. certain people can make anything sound dope. thats all it is.
    test
  3. D Cep

D Cep New Member

i noticed u do that when i listened to your songs, goes good with your style
    test
  4. intuition21

intuition21 good music and stuff.

i think that planning how your bars should sound makes freestyles too formulaic and more wack overall.

just go rap and quit fretting over technicalities.

sometimes rhyming one syllable can still be dope if you have style.
    test
  5. Señor Bo

Señor Bo New Member

i think it's dope when one can carry the scheme into the first part of the next bar.

BO
    test
  6. GFunk

GFunk New Member

I would like to see you continue that line so I can see how you can make a punchline out of a dog in heat.
    test
  7. SiFu

SiFu Burning Down Babylon!

For you Pro you got the quick style man, which I'm liking, just in a battle you may need to pause once in a while to let people catch up to emphazise a line you know is a hard one....when you jumble over it it loses its power, sometimes the quick jab will get you the points, but a heavy (but slower) punch to the right place will give you the knockout namean!?!?!

PEACE
    test
  8. Lush One

Lush One MR. CALIFORNIA

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

the mere existence of this thread shows how boring, formulaic, and nerdish battle rapping has become.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO JUST FREESYLING AND BEING DOPE...hate to always bring it back to that but god damn, this is rapping, not Bill Nye the Science Guy. AND IM ONE OF THE BIGGEST HIPHOP NERDS IN THE WORLD...JESUS CHRIST!!!
    test
  9. SiFu

^^ Yea I agree Lush, but these days it is a formula, all the dope guys use one init, its so obvious to see their formula after you see a few of their battles. And it aint about freestyling anymore either its about pre-meds and rebuttles (which are the freestyle part)........its changed homie, plus all the geeks that vote and judge the battles are into the formulas and if you say 2 bars in a row that dont punch your considered wack coz these days every other lines has to be some word-played incredibly deep punchline or something funny.......so to battle you gotta be into it right???? If I battled I'd have pre-meds and figure out a formula to use as well, if I didnt I'd be at a handicap....

Oh yea Lush-One dude, was you the jelly donut man??? Hahaha that shit was dope as fuck homie you got some testicles to pull that shit off init......lol

PEACE
    test
  10. intuition21

intuition21 good music and stuff.

exactly, thank you.

and sifu, your argument is gay. just because that's the way it is and that's "what it's about" does not make it right, it makes it gay.
    test
  11. EmceeGoddess

hahahaha @ lush being jelly donut rofl
    test
  12. SiFu

Intuition, ok man, you can swim upstream and be revolutionary man props on that I respect the swagga, but it doesnt change the way it is does it......(forgot to say), Illmac and Saurus seem to use a formula, Saurus has the rhyme scheme he always uses init, does that make his style gay?? Hell no, it makes him one of the dopest if not dopest around at battleing right now so obviously some kind of formula has some benifits.......I'm sure he didnt sit at home and 'create' it on paper like a formula but its his style thats developed over time and has become an innate formula within him namean?? nah you prolly dont.......

and from Goddess' response I guess Lush aint......

PEACE
    test
  13. EmceeGoddess

saurus rhyme structure has very little to do with how ill he is. multi + multi setup followed by punch ending in same multi isn't strictly his either. in fact i taught him that so you could basically say its strictly mine.

its like i said any rapper can make shit sound dope its about flavor and i agree that sitting down and wondering how to structure shit is gay. just say something ill will you.

furthermore i am the greatest. offtopic: ima be benching 200 within 6 months i reckon. WATCH.
    test
  14. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

what are you at now and did you just start?
    test
  15. EmceeGoddess

yeah just started lifting, im much stronger from lifting at home but i only have 2 dumbells that go to 45 so i been messin with those. i hadnt benched in like 5 years and i get little to no excercise in past few years so im fairly weak. i put up like 145, more than my body weight by a little, at first. i dont know how fast i should escalate in lifting so i figure 6 months is good if i dont lift too often.

im more focusing on weight loss/toning up right now, tho.
    test
  16. EmceeGoddess

pretty soon people will be afraid to threaten to knock me out at random events ahah. thats not a problem anymore tho, most ppl like me these days i think.
    test
  17. SiFu

I dont like you, but I wont knock you out a random event coz I'm too scared, you hang with the big boys init......

And Saurus structure has everything to do with it, like against Solomon, without saying..."i cant tell just by looking at him he's about as new york as a wooden cabin" without it being a multi it wouldnt be so dope, it still maybe a good line and funny and what not, but the fact he puts his punches in the multi format so effortlessly it seems is what makes it extra dope, not saying he created it either but the fact he uses that 'formula' that you mentioned is to his benifit, like Prolifics 'formula' isnt as dope hence why even his dope punches dont hit as hard, him vs illmac is a perfect example, I though Pro had the better disses, but Illmac made his hit harder by the way he delivered them, whatever tho, your style is your formula I guess.....

PEACE
    test
  18. EmceeGoddess

your opinion doesnt count you arent even a real person you're british or australian or something. sorry.

shut up plz
    test
  19. SiFu

english........and my opinion does count coz we got veto power in the UNSC just like america, so na...

PEACe
    test
  20. JAN1TOR

JAN1TOR New Member

use steroids
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.