PROTOOLS LE, or NUENDO ?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Rewind, May 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rewind

Rewind New Member

this is the scenario:
    1) Protools software and 002/002r hardware (1 jus doesnt have an EXternal mixer, only difference)

or

2) Nuendo software and the hardware (i dont know which one or what its called)
    for #2, the hardware that prices around the 002r (to make this comparison work i guess), (and whats the name of the hardware too)...

which gives you better vocal warmth and clarity when recording?

base your choice stricly on which has the best vocal warmth and clarity, and dont let one set up bein cheaper effect your decision

set up 1 or 2?
    test
  2. Rewind

Rewind New Member

test
  3. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

clarity and warmth are on the opposite sides of the scale man

im assuming, for number 2, ur gunna get sumthing like this :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...rec/s=computer/search/detail/base_pid/240703/

basically..same concept as an 002...an u can run it thru nuendo

but like i said...clarity an warmth...ugh..lemme just say this....both setups...are digital...ur running ur mics into a recording unit, then into ur computer....with digital recording, ur gunna get clarity. the level of clarity will depend on the quality of ur mics, the preamps, the sound unit, etc. the focusrite pres in the 002 are nice preamps for a crisp clean sound, iuno about the ones in the tuscam, i asked around about that when i was deciding on that or my 002, an i herd nothing but good things about it, but i dont kno specifics on the pres an everything. in any event...both are gunna get u clarity...the programs used...really make no difference...your mixing skills and amount of plugins will determin clarity from there. basically, u ain gotta worry about clarity. if u warmth is wat ur looking for...ur looking in the wrong area. warmth is mostly associated with analog recording...meaning...tape. u get analog warmth when u push the levels on the tape and saturate the vocals... its a subtle noise effect you get..that you will not achieve with digitical recording. you can try to fake this effect with a nice flavor pre amp and mic combo, which is wat i suggest, becuz i dont think you were looking for the genuine warmth i was talkign about.
    test
  4. Rewind

Rewind New Member

o my bad
    lol
    i like warmth

i mean i like clarity
    but i like when its warm- it mixes wit the beat amazingly

so these 2 hardware/softwares wouldnt give a warm sound?
    i aint understand the analog recordin that u were talkin about tho...
    right now, im usin the Echo mia soundcard, and when i record, i set the default recording device as analog
    for 1, it wont record it when i set the default recording device as digital
    but im assuming this isnt what you meant by analog recordin
    test
  5. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

the mic and preamp will determine the warmth level in digital recording....because no control unit, or soundcard has a tube in it.

both of these programs are outstanding for making music on a professional level... i've worked thoroughly with both... i like pro tools, but i prefer nuendo, because i started with nuendo... it doesnt mean either is better. In fact, they are very similar in many ways.

with the echo...you want to use the analog (TRS) ins... cuz the digital ins there talking about are something completly different.
    test
  6. Rewind

Rewind New Member

thanks yall
    ima leave yall alone for awhile hopefully
    lolo
    peace
    test
  7. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

the first thing he said, was wat i was tryin to get at wit the whole tape thing an the pre/mic thing..he put it into words better...

an the third thing..about the analog ins... jus becuz it says analog in or out..doesnt mean ur recording wit analog now lol...it sounds retarded...but the spdif digital ins/outs is wat the digital is referring to on ur soundcard..syns right..its some completely different bullshit u ain even gotta worry about...just realize...jus cuz u have a mixer or recording unit...doesnt make it analog..ur still recording digitally...and to answer ur original question...yeah, both setups (002r wit pro tools/misc mixer or soundunit/ nuendo) will get you pretty good quality an clear sound...from there, it depends on ur mic, ur pre, an ur plugins an mixing skills. at this point, its all preference, i had the same options a few months ago, i went the pro tools route, cuz i already learned it with the mbox, an its used in most of the studios around me locally, as well as a lot of the more professional ones in big labels, so i figured it'd be good to get it under my belt. you really just have to talk to sumone who has tried both, or test them both out for yourself...if you've had an mbox...you have sumwat of an idea of wat the 002 will be like...its not the same, but its similar, and a few steps up. for nuendo, the best thing i could suggest, is downloading a cracked or free version of it, and try running it thru the mbox if u can, an see how u like it.
    test
  8. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

dont quote me on this...but i do BELIEVE that digidesign has drivers that will allow you to use nuendo along with PT hardware....i kno for SURE its compatible with the HD3 system, but i dont kno about the M-box....the outcome will prolly be the same....but i personally like nuendo's stability
    test
  9. veral conflict

veral conflict beatsrus

^^nuendo does have great stability...

it has never crashed on me, n it probly never will..
    test
  10. Rewind

Rewind New Member

does protools crash often or somethin
    test
  11. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

i've never had it crash on me. i've had it pause in the middle of recording, cuz i dont have enough ram for the quality i record in, with the amount of sends wit plug ins that i run haha its all gravy thou...it jus bitches about the hardware buffer...i jus close my virus program or turn sumthin off an its fine
    test
  12. Rewind

Rewind New Member

what kind of pre amp is it?
    u think the preamp that comes in the 002r gives off good warmth?
    and do u think I should get a seperate pre amp, or does the pre amp that comes in the 002r give off good warmth?
    like i heard u say u got a seperate pre amp along with the actuall 002..
    test
  13. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

the 002 comes with focusrite preamps....or focusright..blah..i duno how to spell it. they are mostly a nuetral flavor pre amp. nice, crisp, clear sound, it does have a tad bit of warm flavor to it though. i would suggest either gettin a cheap tube amp to add a lil flavor to the mix if your really that conserned with warmth, or go for a high end pre amp with a really warm flavor if its absolutely essential to the point where u wanna dump another 500 - 1000 into a seperate pre amp. i really think your overanalizing things an getting overconcerned with it though...if ur going the 002 route...stick wit jus the 002 an record...mess around mixing for a few weeks...to see if it gives you the sound you want, or u can mix to get the sound you want. then, if its clear, but not warm enough, go lookin for an external pre.
    test
  14. JimMY2NutZ

JimMY2NutZ k.matthews

the 002 is a very solid selection...only real setback about it is that it only comes with LE, or at least i think, i could be wrong about this. LE isn't really protools...its really a watered down version...but its still good. but you got to ask your self, do you really need what your paying for? do you really need 10 I/Os? if not, then your wasting your money...

nuendo is an excellent program, but its prone to more problems because its open to countless 3rd party programs/plugins and hardware...this sometimes causes conflicts and bugs...one plus is that you can find it on the net for free (that is if you don't think its wrong to steal). asuming you got 2500 to spend (thats about the price of the 002) and you want to go the nuendo route...you should get a Lnyx 2 soundcard...its about 800 dollars...theres also expansion boards with additional I/Os you can buy for like 250, i think each expansion board has an additional 4 I/Os. so if you need the I/Os and want to match the I/Os on the 002, you probably gonna spend about 1500 dollars on Lynx cards...but that leaves you with about a g to get some very nice pres or whatever else you want...

as for better qaulity...i would go with the Lynx 2...its converters are better then digi's...and its chipset and componets are top quality...it you pair this card with some nice pres ( which you should be able to get with the 1000 dollars you'll have left) your qaulity will be amazing, of course thats without factoring in your mic...

EDIT: either solution will give you qaultiy results, of course without factoring in your mic though...but i would go the nuendo with the lynx 2 and what ever pres you like for a g (sorry i don't know too much about preamps so i can't really recommend any in particular, but of the top of my head, you should look into forusrite and manly pres...they both make qaulity products)
    test
  15. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

^true...

when i worked with the 002..i had a universal audio m610 mic preamp connected to a line in... so i really never used the focusrite pre's that come built-in to it...

you should just go ahead and get the 002r... its not like your mixes will sound anything close to shit if its not UTTERLY warm... you know?... warmth isnt always a good thing for everyones voice either... you may end up having to eq in order to extract some muddyness from the vocal if it comes out too warm....

do you already know what sounds good with your voice? or are you just going off of what someone else told you?
    test
  16. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

"so i really never used the focusrite pre's that come built-in to it..."

yeah u did...u jus had the mic going to the other preamp first...so it had both flavors

the mbox ain THAT bad though...u jus pointed out all the bad shit about it lol for certain cercomstances its a realy nice deal and peice of equiptment, for this cat though, its not.
    test
  17. SKWIRL

SKWIRL New Member

i completely agree...
    you cannot compare nuendo with protools LE, the LE version of protools would be more comparable to cubase, which are both really good programs but not on the same level of professionalism as the real protools and nuendo.
    anyway to answer you quetion, i say nuendo hands down... im a nuendo user and i love it. the layout is much better imo plus for some reason(maybe the a/d-d/a converters) anything i load into nuendo seems to just sound better... andre from outkast got rid of his protools setup and got a nuendo setup. alot of people are switching. alot of professional engineers will do a protools session in a protools studio, take it home as an aiff, or omf file, load it into nuendo, mix it, and then bring it back to the protools studio, because they like the sound and the ease of working with nuendo.. plus nuendo is compatible with digidesign/protools hardware, but your not limited to using any one brand of hardware. nuendo will detect and use your current soundcard(whatever it may be). protools on the other hand wont even load up unless it detects a digidesign soundcard/audio interface. plus protools hardware is expensive for the most part so an upgrade will cost you dearly
    for the 2500 you would spend on an oo2 you could do alot of things with nuendo,
    im runnin a motu 828mkII($700) with the built in pre's, blue dragonfly mic($900), nuendo 2.1.2.28(cracked), and a mackie control universal mixing board($900), this setup aint been up long and the only thing i have recorded on it that has been mixed is a song called "forgive me" by a friend of mine....
    if you wanna hear how warm or clear nuendo is go listen to that song, i recorded and mixed it
    hi-fi
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=1211751&q=Hi
    lo-fi
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=1211751&q=Lo
    download
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/DownloadSong.cfm?ID=1211751
    the other songs on my page were recorded on a different system but are gonna be redone on nuendo
    nuendo..nuendo...nuendo...

and if you do get nuendo i will be happy to help you get it up and runnin...
    test
  18. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

why would you go an spend like a G on nuendo thou....for better ease of use?
    test
  19. SKWIRL

SKWIRL New Member

i downloaded mine from kazaa the prog cost bout 1500 but so does the real protools.. now u can get the LE version but like ole boy said... its a watered down version
    nuendo is the shit plain and simple
    test
  20. Dskillz

Dskillz aka MG The Future

They Both Suck Equally, especially since you are limited to it for the rest of your life or pockets..shits expensive just to get right on it.

I suggest cool edit, cubase, or even sonal porudcer edition

and cop the Midi controllers keyboards with the knobs and shit

and theres WAY cheaper midi mixeing boards....cool edit has one out...works for most software even fruity..just assign the knobs and shit

and you save mad dinero

But protools LE is a NO NO

[​IMG]
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.