Protein / Gainer Advice

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Snikka, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoardWalk

BoardWalk it's a monopoly.

However, this sugar issue is becoming interesting.

Don't you need a certain amount of sugar just for your body to function normally?

If you have too low of blood sugar, I'm fairly certain that creates a problem. I would guess these powders that include sugar are manufacturered to give you the amount you need without overdoing it.
    test
  2. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

^^LOL thats beat...but Naahhh I aint speaking on a protein supplement...I couldn't get by without my 2 shakes a day. Unless someone does this shit for a living he isn't in a realistic position to get his daily protein requirements through whole food.

But, as for specific "weight gainers" they've just never worked for me or anyone I know. But yeah, I mean, the level of difficulty in getting your protein in will obviously vary with weight but 185+ grams of protein a day is rediculously hard to get in without something.
    test
  3. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

And nah...they overload the stuff with sugar because without it (and actually often times with it) the product tastes like shit.

I try to limit my sugar intake to strictly fruit...but sugar is in just about everything
    test
  4. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

the majority of people have no problem getting in the daily requirements of sugar within their normal caloric intake. the gainers usually do have high sugar and it is more than needed, but its not horrible for you.
    test
  5. BoardWalk

So pretty much what we're saying here is that a weight gainer is not necessary, it's better to go with a quality low sugar protein supp.

So whats the best bet? Mr. Steve talking about somthing. What you using Graphx?
    test
  6. Ben Official

they are 2 different things. i use a gainer, i dont use a protein supplement because theres enough in my gainer and my MRP. in my opinion its better to take a gainer supplement than just a protein supplement but its totally subjective. different stuff works for different people
    test
  7. BoardWalk

The amount of calories and protein in the gainer just seems more significant than a regular protein supp like the GNC whey I used to use, etc.

I consider it a protein supplement, rather a "weight gainer" although thats it supposed purpose.
    test
  8. Ben Official

test
  9. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

I use different shit all the time but I mostly transition between ON 100% - it's cheap and effective...I like Designer Whey even tho alot of people I know don't...Muscle Milk is the truth when I'm trying to gain weight because it does have extra calories in it...Right now I got some wheybolic shit or whatever from GNC...and it tastes horrible but it was cheap as fuck so i picked it up

I actually got a thing of Nlarge 2 also...I use one scoop for my oatmeal in the morning so I wouldn't be able to speka on its results when taken as directed.

I hear what you're saying tho...I just think that if a person is gaining weight, calories from food are better. But for the sake of the thread I'll recommend CytoGainer...out of at least a dozen different gainers I've tried, it was my favorite...and it tastes great.
    test
  10. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

By the way...I might be biased here at the moment actually...I'm in a calorie restriced mindstate right now so I'm naturally shying away from high calorie gainers

Which sucks...I fuckin hate eating this clean...even tho I did fuck up and Chris Farley like 15 beers last night...
    test
  11. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Most weight gainers have a lot of fast acting carbs like maltodextrin, so I would use a weight gainer after a workout to get your carb/protein mix, that way with the fast digesting carbs you can get the insulin spike.

Other than that I'd use just a straight whey protein for other times like first thing in the morning, like ON Whey. You only want to have 2-3 shakes a day anyway. Then at the end of the night you could down a casein protein, though I personally think Muscle Milk has too much fat in it.
    test
  12. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

i cant take anything a person named after a boardgame says seriously, especially in regards to bodybuilding.

lol@ not being able to get adequate nutrients without protein shakes.

i dont use any supplements whatsoever and i do damn fine. my post-workout consists of a quarter gallon of whole milk and a Power Bar. when i first wake up i have a glass of whole milk, then some coffee. before bed i always have cottage cheese. ive done it with supplements and if done it without, truth of the matter is supplements really dont do shit, at least not the ones ive taken. although i think if you can carry around a large protein shake with BCAAs mixed in during school or something you should go for it, granted youre allowed to drink in that class, otherwise just leave and eat a powerbar real quick.
    test
  13. Ben Official

wow... did i just read this correctly? you don't take supplements????! after all that arguing with me how supplements were absolutely essential and coming at me when i said they were not necessarily needed? hahaha
    test
  14. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago.

right now i dont take them, i cant really afford them, and i dont think ive noticed much of a difference at all. i was contemplating on getting some and even getting some protein powder just to have it but im not in a rush.

who knows maybe ill start taking them again and ill be on the supplement side again, i dont know.
    test
  15. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Live, you can't really say supplements don't do shit. There are millions of jacked guys(and women) who completely disgaree with you and have been lifting for ages.

I think it's much harder for younger guys to gauge if a supplement is truly effective or not because we're so new to the weight game. Fine tuning one's diet takes years, and being able to really "listen" to your body also takes years and years.
    test
  16. Snik Diesel

Snik Diesel Hey there buddy!

lol @ livefromdouchebag actually admitting he has no money for supplements, yet somehow goes on a rant about fast food and not needing them.

Fuck outa here.

What do you lift? Give us some stats, cause I'm calling BS on your claims. I remember a year ago you didn't even lift weight and were in the alley as a funny character. Now you're lifting and suddenly you know everything.

Every got damn bodybuilding articles and trainer suggests SOME supplements. I suppose multivitamins are garbage too, somehow you get that nutrition from Mcdonalds I bet?
    test
  17. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

Fuck what ya heard son...I've gone without supplements too...but Live, you're just taking this shit wayyy too far brotha...I usually agree with most of the shit you say and from what you've told us, you're making pretty good progess but don't come on here acting like your the next Arnold and your shit doesn't stink.

Realistically, you're weak and you aren't diesel in any way, shape or form. Tone it down a bit brotha
    test
  18. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

Shut the fuck up dickshine.

Is that toned down enough for you?
    test
  19. B Drama

B Drama Back in Action!

test
  20. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

I mean cause REALISTICALLY I'm asking advice at a hip-hop site. Maybe that was my first mistake.

Not pro's, not trainers, not degree holding in nutrition or fitness, nothing... Just run of the mill guys who lift weights.

Oh well.. Thanks guys for all the help.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.