Propellerhead "Record" review.

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Mr. ROUSH, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Well, I picked up Propellerhead's new audio recording software "Record" as a Christmas gift to myself. After putting a few things together in the program I was compelled to post a review here. This program is the answer to many of your prayers.

First of all.. let's get something out of the way.. Propellerhead prefers that you don't call Record a "DAW", and in the traditional sense.. it's really not. The reason for this is that this product is totally stand alone.. it cannot be supplimented by third party software applications.. So for that reason.. some will say it's more than a DAW.. some will say it's less.. depends on how you look at it. The idea though, is that it's a complete audio workstation based on a famous analog mixing desk emulation, and let me tell you.. I'm one who finds Record to be a lot more than a DAW rather than less. The benefit of blocking third party plugins is that Record uses DSP processing and is super efficient. The best thing to me about this program, being more of a producer/artist than an audio engineer, is that it's designed so that it does not impede on your creativity. Pro Tools is still the industry standard on all accounts.. but sometimes my creativity gets sucked dry just waiting for it to open.. let a lone setting up my session, routing all my channels etc.. With record.. you open it up and go. Essentially Record is aimed at musicians, artists, producers, and anyone who more familiar with the art of creating a song, over those who are more familiar with the science of recording a song that is already created.

If you love "Propellerhead Reason".. then you're going to absolutely DIE for "Record". The functionality, sequncing, rack support, and the interface are all exactly like Reason.. In short, Record is Reason with complete audio production capability, which is what Reason users have been dreaming of, well here is your dream come true. Record is very easy to use and very intuitive just like reason. You couldn't ask for more really if you're already set in your reason ways.

So, let's take an overall look at the pros and cons.

PROs:
    Super efficient DSP processing.
    Unlimited Tracks
    Inexpensive
    Easy to use, very functional, logical, and intuitive.
    Phenominal time streatching capability
    Rewire compatible with most DAW's
    Some new gear for the rack including Line 6 guitar & bass modelers
    The ability to route audio through reason devices (hey you can actually use the vocoder to vocode vocals etc., now with an audio source for the modulator and for the carrier in real time!)
    easy and seemless automation capability.
    Audio editing is a sinch the same as the normal reason midi editing etc..
    Compatible with any audio interface that supports asio drivers.
    Minimal to no bugs
    easily customizable to suit your workflow

CONS:
    No third party software application / plugin support (this is not a con to me, but the option would be nice for those who prefer it.) If you really want to have the ability to use plugins on record tracks.. just rewire record and there you go.

And that's the only CON I can't think of.. the rest is fantastic!!

A coupler of the finer points I want to touch on..

#1.. The analog mixing desk emulation:
    The board is modeled after the SSL 9000K analog mixing desk, and this is brilliant. This means you have the luxury of a Compressor, Gate/Expander, EQ, inserts/send fx assigned to each channel, ready to be used at any time just by turning them on. Of course you also have the fader section with panning and width controls and the typical metering options. This saves so much time setting up plugins and routing etc.. The real question is.. how does it sound? The answer.. it sounds fantastic.. In addition to all of the usual mastering features of Reason.. Record adds the famous "Master Buss Compression" to the board. Even though SSL is not actually involved with this product, the emulation is very accurate. The master buss compressor is "the good button", or some have called it, "The hit button". Whatever you want to call it.. it really does put the power of a very expensive, great sounding analog desk right at your fingertips that will give you professional results.

#2.. Timestretch... Now.. you may not have much need for this.. but it sure is helpful.. if you've ever done time stretching in Pro Tools.. you know what a nightmare it can be, and how much time it takes, not to mention the artifacts you get in pro tools and many other DAW's. In Record.. you simply change the tempo to the desired tempo, and the program does everything else for you without a single unwanted artifact.. This feature is absolutely brilliant for Dj's and remixes.. Anything either recorded directly into record or pre-recorded and then sampled into record can be time stretched that way. This makes for very creative mixes when you automate the tempo. There is no other time stretching feature on any other program that compars. Bravo!

Overall.. Record is a phenominal product. You would expect something this functional to be very expensive and exclusive in some way to hardware by propellerhead.. (like pro tools being exclusive to digidesign interfaces).. but as it turns out.. Propellerhead appreciate's music as much as money!! Yay for us!!! Record truly does what Propellerhead set out to do with it.. It provides a format for creating music without slowing or haulting creativity, where other programs can suck the creativity right out of you if you're working on a concept or something that is incomplete and you want to add elements to it. Many DAW's are work and fun.. Record is just fun, and sounds great with much less effort from a technical standpoint. Of course as always the songs have to be good songs first and foremost.. but Record will give you all the tools you need to turn your concepts into great sounding, polished final songs. For those of you who already own reason.. it will only set you back $150.00. At that price it's a no brainer. At $250.00 for Record alone and $500.00 for Reason + Record.. you can't go wrong any way you look at it. Bottom line.. "Record" is a phenominal product that musicians and home recording finatics a like will benefit from. This will become the primary go to software for A LOT of people over more technical programs such as Pro Tools etc.. A+++ 11 out of 10. Great Job Propellerhead!
    test
  2. Stash

Stash R.I.P Point Game

Good read Roush, I have to install it sometime soon and check it out. However, apart from me possibly liking it, I don't see how it can influence anything though, probably just going to be another good program and that's that. It's a nice idea to be aimed at musicians/producers but still, serious musicians/producers will probably end up calling us and getting their shit engineered.

Good review
    test
  3. Mr. ROUSH

Thanks my man.. and oh no.. naw it's not going to impact that fact at all.. There's no replacing a professionally engineered mix and/or master. You can get close, but not close enough. However for the demo process.. Record can't be beat as far as ease of use and the amount of effort it takes to get a decent sound. Lovin it! Stay safe man.. Nice tower you got there in Dubai btw.. very nice.
    test
  4. Mr. ROUSH

If anyone wants to check out a quick sample of a Record project all from scratch.. got0 Mr. Roush on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads and check the top track.. "The Return".. First half of what will be an intro track to an upcoming album due out this year.. Produced, recorded, mixed, rough mastered all myself, and all done within Record.. This is somewhat rough, but after spending some real time on a project you can see where it's going. pz
    test
  5. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

Record is dope but I can think of more cons than that. My biggest beef and a lot of other peopels big beef with Record is lack of midi support. The program has everything you need for mixing a song there is no real need to go else where for plug in support. If you add Reason to it you get even more goodies built in but if you are just rapping then Record imo is not the package for you. If you make beats and do not need audio support then record may not be for you (but the mixer is worth the price alone) Record+Reason is a great combo
    test
  6. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

plus it doesnt export mp3s or import them either everything has to be wave format which can be a pita if u only have record
    test
  7. mp3runner1

mp3runner1 New Member

Thanks for the tips
    test
  8. Macky2003

Macky2003 Pro Audio Engineer

Record is nice but with that price and no vst suport its useless for "professionals"
    test
  9. Mr. ROUSH

Well. you might want to mention that to "professionals" who are using Record.. there are many.. I find the price well worth it personally.. Why would you need VST support? That's the whole reason the program is so efficient in the first place.. which is what keeps creativity rolling.. If you really want to use some VST's.. then you can simply rewire it to PT or whatever DAW you use otherwise..

What up X?! No MIDI support? I'm not sure how you mean.. record and reason both have phenomenal midi capabilities.. best in the business.. I have to disagree.. I think this is absolutely the program for you if you are just rapping.. or if you're running the whole spectrum.. simply for the reason that it doesn't hinder creativity like many other programs do.. also.. I wouldn't want to spend an extra dime on a program for the ability to import / export MP3's when "lame" and other high quality mp3 converters are free.. there's a couple of reasons why this is a good thing.. #1.. you shouldn't record to an MP3.. so the importing is not needed.. you should convert to wav or get the original master in wav format before mp3 compression takes place.. When you mix down your final song to wav.. you want to keep the original master in wav format.. then just drop it in a converter for the mp3 version.. easy as that...

I really hope others are reaping the benefits of this program.. there are many.. pz.
    test
  10. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

Record is a decent program but my beef with its lack of midi support for one is midi out, MTC, ect. Basically if I want to use my Mpc in the Record sequencer and use Record's midi capabilities it is not going to happen with Record. If I want to use its soundbanks with my Mpc I will have to use the Mpc sequener and dump all of the infomration back into Record. If you are only using Record this is not a big deal. It has good midi editing features but not the best in the business considering it is totally self inclosed. Reason was never great for midi it just got the job done for those who used it standalone they just brought the Reason midi sequencer into Record. As far mp3 and Wav you are right people shouldn't record to mp3 but they do and to be honest converting it back to wave isn't going to bring any of the lost sound back. It will still sound exactly the same so why bother converting the file if you don't need to? And for the price Reaper kills Record in every way. I like Record and am considering purchasing it myself I beta tested it too I just don't think its the best daw on the market like some people have been saying. Its great for someone who wants something simple w/o a million features that doesn't bog down on the computer.
    test
  11. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

Btw Roush whats new with you man its been a minute
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.