Proof that image and style outweigh talent and substance in rap industry

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by RedFaction, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedFaction

RedFaction New Member

[youtube]JnccORv0Ztg&feature=topvideos_music[/youtube]

Fans are running after him to tell him how much he sucks
    test
  2. FINALPOST

FINALPOST New Member

The guy can write catchy hooks that's a talent now Mods please move to OT
    test
  3. Expensiveheat

Expensiveheat New Member

this is garbage!. this guy shouldnt be able to afford weed with tht garbage hes spitting.

even the bum that collects roaches at my school can spit better then this <---He actually does . one time i gave him half a blunt and he spit some freestyles to show his appreciation lol. i didnt actually smoke with him tho - I dont want to get any diseases from that guy....just gave him like half the blunt because i felt bad for the him - picking up dirty ass roaches from the ashtray and floor and shit. .lmao. he was way better then this clown tbh.

man this world sucks - the majority of the people in the world support flashy / tredy bullshit over actual skills and talent!.
    test
  4. battlefan

battlefan New Member

Truth!!!!!
    test
  5. MC Bone16

MC Bone16 R.I.P MCA

Hate to break it to you but this been happening forever not just now
    test
  6. Eyerate

Eyerate The Definition of Real..

thats like saying "omg battling is so dogshit because the fan favorites cant freestyle."

you're comparing 2 completely different games.. wiz wins at the one that matters.
    test
  7. illadelphonics

illadelphonics New Member

You must live in a cave in Afghanistan where ain't no cable/radip/internet, cuz anyone who has listened to mainstream rap over the last decade could have told u that.

The thread is on some super DUH type shit.
    test
  8. Geedorah

Geedorah King

test
  9. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

I don't mean to single you out, my post is really a response to all the hip-hop whiners, elitists, and grandpas who hate on today's mainstream hip-hop.

First off, this is hardly a new thing, it's been like this with hip-hop for a longggg time. I mean, why else would clearly skilled emcees like Pharaohe Monch, OC, Myka-9, Ras Kass, etc. be confined to the underground for their entire careers? The thing is, with anything "mainstream", the majority of fans will be casual. They don't want to listen to rap for anything other than entertainment the majority of time, they're not interested in 13 syllable unforced multis (shouts to Maniphest), or triple entendres, or intricate hood stories. They also don't want to spend the time to go out and research hip-hop or catch up on the OG's. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

man this world sucks - the majority of the people in the world support flashy / tredy bullshit over actual skills and talent!

Are you really any different? Maybe you don't fall for the gimmicks and flashiness in hip-hop, but what about other forms of entertainment, or different aspects of consumerism, or even fashion. Do you pay for and enjoy Michael Bay or James Cameron movies? Do you think Beats headphones are good headphones for their price? Do you think the I-Pod is a good mp3 player? What are your tastes in book (do you even read at all?), opera, plays, fashion? What are you opinions in politics?

Now you might be thinking, "I don't give a shit about things like that, why does it matter?" Well, that's probably partially how most casual fans of hip-hop feel when they see people telling them to listen to "real" rappers with actual skill. Does only watching mainstream movies make you a sheep? Does it make you worse than someone who's watched films or all aspects from all eras? Does it mean your opinion in movies is null or that you shouldn't be watching movies in the first place? Are you making the world a worse place for not expanding your taste?

And besides, what do you even mean by "actual skills and talent". In my opinion, I think Wiz Khalifa is more skilled than 95% of broke, irrelevant underground rappers. He can appeal to a wide demography, in my mind that's a talent. I'm sure at this point I'll get the cliche "Oh anyone can make a dumb song about hoes and money and make a hit". Then why don't you? Why aren't there tons of rappers as successful as Wiz or Soulja Boy or Waka? Because honestly, in my opinion, it takes way more talent to make a hit record than to make some hip-hop song with "real lyricism" and "skills". I mean look how many rappers on this site alone can do the latter.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure there'll be a lot of "TL, DR"'s but this is something I feel very passionate about lol.
    test
  10. Jack Shitt

Jack Shitt Not "jackshit"

When I was younger this topic used to really bother me. I hated the fact that the most technically sound rappers weren't the ones making the most money. I later accepted the fact that not everyone is listening to music for the message, or to hear expert wordsmithing. Some people just wanna shake their ass to a catchy jingle, and who am I to get mad at them for it?

That said, I still have a problem with the fact that the casual listener isn't given the option to hear real hip-hop music. You either have to seek it out yourself, or hope that word of mouth gets around to you. I don't believe that this is because catchy jingles are what the majority prefers, as I'm sure if the Radio and MTV started playing a new One Be Lo single on the regular, the casual's would probably jump all over that shit. We eat what we're given, but we're only ever being given Fast Food when there's plenty steak dinners to go around. All I ask for is the option.

This could just be the jaded cynic in me talking, but I genuinely believe that simple, mind-numbing media (pop singles, pseudo-reality shows, yellow journalism) is kept at the forefront to keep people stupid and complacent.
    test
  11. TheRealWarlock

TheRealWarlock Top 5 In The 505

jack bodied this thread i cosign that yo
    test
  12. Expensiveheat

Expensiveheat New Member

doublepost sorry
    test
  13. Expensiveheat

Expensiveheat New Member

i dont disagree with you. and obviously i know its been going on forever. i havent been living in a cave for the past 25 years :funny: .

As someone who loves lyricism/ intricate worplay / whatever you want call it - i just find it depressing that my favourite rappers arent that succesful financially as some of these other "rappers" that sellout.

I'm 25 years old and have been a fan of rap/hiphop forever. Im not going to make a list of some of my favourite tracks and rappers because that would take forever - but just because i shop at walmart/costco instead of a farmers market - doesnt mean i have to have the same level of "trendy consumerism" when it comes to music.

I strongly disagree with what you said about souljaboy though. Cmon. you seem like an intelligent person and your reply is very well articulated but souljaboy?crank dat? supaman? soulja boy is one of the first signs of a decaying culture/rotting civilization (imho).:funny:

this topic reminds me of a famous lyric by immortal technique thats always used in these type of discussion :

so if your message ain't shit, fuck the records you sold
    cuz if you go platinum, it's got nothing to do with luck
    it just means that a million people are stupid as fuck

anyways. i cant control the masses. I respect anyone thats put in the work into their "artform" (that word "artform" super-elitest - i know). i guess im an oddball because i care more for content and quality over the current trend in rap.

anyways. thanks for the polite reply. appreciate it. i dont completely agree but i know where you're coming from.
    take care
    test
  14. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

I'm a huge fan of that kind of rap too. I mean look at what I'm repping in my avatar. At the same time, I'm fully aware and accept the fact that guys like Vakill will be near broke and irrelevant as hell for the rest of their life most likely. I mean part of it is definitely their fault. They simply can't appeal to the masses, which I honestly think is harder than simply putting out a song with crazy lyricism.

For Soulja Boy, come on if nothing less you gotta respect the business acumen he demonstrated in coming up and his ability to deliver exactly what his audience wanted for him. I mean, he became famous, at least from what I know, almost entirely from his own hustle: his own label, his own recording studio (although that was provided by his dad), his own websites/videos etc. That's not respectable? I think that's something people should look up to, not see as a sign of the decay of society (lol). I mean, there's a reason Scarface said Soulja could've been the next Russel Simmons.

And for the IT quote, I'm familiar with it but I disagree. Doesn't mean a million people are "stupid as fuck", just means they have different taste and maybe they view music as just entertainment. In my experience, generally smart people tend to listen to and watch some really ignorant stuff because they turn to classes, social discussion, books, etc for knowledge and to stimulate their intellect rather than movies or music.

@ Jack, I mean part of me agrees. I definately wish there was more diversity on the radio stations and MTV and that people didn't have to go searching on the web for a long time before finding dope underground artists. If I didn't spend hours on forums like these I never would've discovered some of my favorite artists. At the same time though, can we really say that casual listeners will like that stuff? I can't picture the average hip-hop fan digging Jedi Mind Tricks or El-Producto no matter what.

I mean I don't think it's so much corporations and big media try to brainwash us into being mindless sheep as making money is their first priority by far, and they think that "real hip-hop" (a term i hate, because wtf is real hip-hop?) doesn't sell at all. And are they really wrong when most underground groups are pushing like 300 units with each album and most people would much rather listen to rap casually or as dance/party music?
    test
  15. S Y G M C

S Y G M C Sophisticated Young Gent

lol it was a freestyle, is it because he doesnt freestyle like illmac n saurus or nocando? Wiz is image and style but thats him, i grew up in pittsburgh and actually did a show wiz was performing at when i was 18 and he's been putting in work here for a lonnnng time, he put on the most entertaining performances and worked hard as shit and thats what got him where he is now, you have to respect that, i watched this last night and didnt have any problem with it, the man makes millions of dollars to write actuall good sounding music im sure he's not totally freshened up on his freestyle game nor would i expect him to come with some incredible juice type freestyle.
    test
  16. Jack Shitt

Jack Shitt Not "jackshit"

Maybe, maybe not. Point is, we never get the chance to find out. Personally, I think JMT would sell 25x more records if they got the rotation that L'il Wayne gets. I may have oversimplified when I broke it down into 2 categories... the rap fan spectrum IS pretty diverse, and I'm sure many of them would be open to some more meaningful music if given the opportunity.

The two go hand in hand if you ask me. Mindless sheep are far more likely to blow money on a cheap product compared to people keen on the fact that minimal effort was put into creating that product.

I actually agree with you, but it was the easiest way for me to differentiate between them. I would feel uncomfortable refering to Soulja Boy as Hip-hop, but maybe I'm just being a fag.

I don't think the units underground groups are pushing should really be considered. I'm sure Soulja Boy wasn't selling thousands of albums before he got picked up, ya know?
    test
  17. FINALPOST

FINALPOST New Member

I am going to try to make this short. Solja boy HAS TALENT. Making hit after hit is the hardest thing to do in music. He might not be the best example because he has a ton of help.

But guys like wacka and Wiz are talented. You know how many people would love to pen a hit record? You realize how hard it is to make multiple hits?' Thats a talent.
    test
  18. FINALPOST

FINALPOST New Member

Solja boy had the biggest record on the net and everywhere else before he got signed he did that shit himself in his damn house on fruity loops
    test
  19. FINALPOST

FINALPOST New Member

And anybody that thinks Lil wayne is not one of the most talented people in hiphop should just not talk about it
    test
  20. misterteenwolf

misterteenwolf Well-Known Member

i agree with this caveman
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.