Prayer AND Meditation

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by IAmBenT, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAmBenT

IAmBenT Eat a dick, faggot

People of Faith:

You MUST practice both of these. It is not enough to pray. You should also meditate.

Imagine having a conversation where you are the only one talking. It would seem rude!

You would be the only one expressing yourself, and not allowing the other voice in the conversation to come through and be heard.

So, we must practice both prayer AND meditation.

But, what is meditation?

If prayer is speaking to God, then meditation is LISTENING to God

For we are told "Be Still, and KNow that I am God"

But how do you meditate? Focus on the breath, that's the start. For breath represents the spirit within us moving in and out and giving us life.

Meditating is not this bullshit "clear your mind, ohm" nonsense. not saying that CANNOT work, just saying its not always practical and can be boring, as your thoughts start to drift to worldy concerns.

Instead sharpen your focus, and give ATTENTION, for when you pay attention, you stop THINKING. thats why society wants you watching tv, movies, news, internet, etc paying attention to nonsense and bullshit 24/7, instead of doing that, take time out during the day or the week to pay attention to the important things, like family, friends, art, hobbies, etc and your spirit and God's influence in your life through meditation. The Bible is clear, God wants you to pay attention to him and listen to what he has to tell you and show you.

YHWH is breath, yod, he, va, he is breathing, this is the start for good meditation. Breathe! before I get too unorganized, some pointers from the Word:

- Deut 4:39 Consider it in your heart that the Lord himself is God in Heaven above and earth beneath
    Heaven is your spirit, earth is your body, God unifies them both, only he brings the light from the darkness.

-Joshua 1:7-9 Meditate on the Law, the stories, the wisdom, whatever calls to you from the Book, run it, imagine it, make it real in your mind to glean its lesson. Do not be afraid, be brave for God is with you wherever you go.

- 1 Samuel 12:24 Consider or MEDITATE on the great things God has done for you in your life.

- Many of the psalms are rife with images for you to meditate and recreate in your focus on God and what he has created. exercise your imagination, its a gift from the creator and your own form of imagination! think about it, we are created in His Image, we are a nation of his Image, his IMAGINATION. it gets deep

- a man who is Godly, avoids sin, avoids scornfullness, meditates on the Law and the Word DAY AND NIGHT.

- one thing you should understand. Psalm 4:3 breaks one of the misconceptions of meditation. If you are angry, FEEEL the anger. its ok to be angry in life, to be really pissed off, but DO NOT SIN. instead, meditate and be still on your bed, sacrifice your desires for vengeance and wrath and instead TRUST in the Lord to heal you and walk you through, to SPEAK to you in this time. meditation is not all about nambypamby peace hippie crap, its a powerful communication with the Counsellor

- Psalm 5:1-3 you can begin in the morning, look up to remind yourself of the importance of humility, very important in meditating

- psalm 8:3-5 SPECIFIC on what to meditate upon, heaven,creation, moon, stars, once again humility being the key to listening to and for God.

- Psalm 41 meditate on the poor. this does not mean just those with no money. this means those who are spiritually poor, listen for God to guide you in how to deal with those around you who are suffering, not just your own suffering.

- Psalm 63:6 on the importance of meditation during the night, you will know that He has been your help.

- Psalm 64 here it speaks about your VOICE in the meditation, now i know you are thinking cmon man you said meditation is about listening to God, but think about it whose voice is it that makes up YOUR mind? that gives birth to the words that describe your thoughts? its your VOICE so even though you are not talking to him as you would in a prayer, he still hears you as you seek him in silence. no 2 people have the same voice, embedded in your voice is the special signature God placed, you are so UNIQUE!!

- The psalms keep going, imma jump to some other parts. Malachi 3:16-17 The Lord claims you when you meditate on his name. believe it or not, meditation is also service to God.

-Luke 12:23-25 Meditation helps you blast past concerns of the material realm. Meditate on the bird, which has never needed a single dollar and feeds everyday. Life is more than a job, a mortgage, bills, etc.

- Romans 8:16 we are children of God, and His glory shall be revealed in us, this is why we are important to Him, meditate on this glory so that it can be revealed in you

- Romans 11:22 powerful, meditate on the dual aspect of God. think both on how hard things are for those who perpetually sin, and think of God's goodness towards you. Fill your thoughts with this good, or else you too will be cut off, if you don't think of the good, you won't hear him!

- phillipians 4:4-8 sums it all up wonderfully, from prayer to mediation

- Hebrews 12:1 this is to meditate on strength that comes from listening and prayer. the strength to strive against evil and to risk and make sacrifices for what you believe.

All in all remember to not just pray but also meditate for the refreshment and preparation of your spirit in this material world.

Think about it, you could sit in front of the tv for 30 minutes soaking up some stupid bullshit show, or take 10 minutes, set a timer, and pick just ONE idea or concept, breathe, relax your muscles one group at a time, and use your imagination to visualize and focus on images such as the ones mentioned in the Word, do this continually and you will get better and better and see if God doesn't speak to you in His own way.

Its not just enough to beg and plead and demand things from God. We must also listen to what He wants to tell and show us.
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem Neos Helios

Good thread.

But I can cosign meditation just for its therapeutic, mental/emotional benefits as well.

I recommend imagining a candle flame and focusing on it. It's bright and holds your complete attention.

Or imagining your breaths as smoke coming in and out of your body.
    test
  3. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yes many use it for what dex said.

it has theraputic uses and can ward off a lot of mental illness, one being depression.

ive been into it for years through martial arts and yoga. There is many many ways to do it, and hard to get wrong.

the main thing is to focus on something whether its a mantra, something you visualize, a sound etc etc. If youre meditating and thinking about daily events and mistakes youve made and your dog whos nudging you for a walk then its not working and you need to start over lol.

meditation protects the mind.
    test
  4. IAmBenT

yes definitely, i like bringing the idea of the candle and the flame

ancient hebraic language is based on the movement of the flame, look at the letters, it resembles the way the candle dances, one of my middle school teachers actually had us stare into a candle for like 15 minutes and then start writing whatever came, it was very powerful. and again why is there this tradition to tell stories around a fire? where did that come from???

mantra idea is a very good, very ancient idea that is super helpful. lol@ the dog
    Another good one that I have done in my work on the stage is to imagine you are a vessel filled with liquid, that liquid representing the sludge and stress you accumulate throughout the day, and as you breathe, more and more of the liquid drains out of you.

Another good one for muscle relaxation is to tense and untense your muscles from top to bottom as you imagine becoming a rag doll on a windowsil.
    test
  5. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

I meditate certain ways due to my Yoga practice and Martial arts. But thats cuz i wanna do it that way.

There is literally almost infinite ways to meditate... just as long as you remember the goal is to focus on something so you forget the outside world.
    test
  6. IAmBenT

David Deida talks about this as well in his Way of The Superior Man. Check it out. He mentions how we need to recognize the still voice within, that presence of consciousness that is CONSTANT no matter what is going on in the inside world. When you remember who you are, then you forget the outside world.
    test
  7. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

I attend weekly meditation classes at my yoga studio and we talk about all types of this stuff.

were told how when you start meditation you begin to burn through bad karmas.... thousands of years of bad karmas. From all your past lives. So when you first begin to meditate you will notice life becomes harder for a while. But its because youre bringing up and working through the karma faster because of the positive effects of meditation

were taught all your karma you reap in this life, is from past lives. You dont reap karma from your present life. This is why bad people can have great lives and good people can have such shitty ones.. because its karma from a past life ...
    test
  8. IAmBenT

^^^

lol might explain all the drama i go thru daily.

thats pretty interesting way to look at things

I hope the lurkers get something from this thread. I posted this cuz I feel the forum should be about more than just atheist vs. christian, that argument is too narrow.

meditation is a powerful tool we should all incorporate in our lives
    test
  9. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

yes good thread, on point.
    test
  10. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Lemme ask u this praying in toungs diff than meditation in you deff
    test
  11. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

is praying in tongues different than meditation? The definitions of both are different, so of course it is, yes.

meditation and prayer are 2 different things.

they both should be done seperately. Not at the same time. Meditation with prayer becomes prayer. You cant meditate whilst reciting prayers. But you can meditate over a mantra, But its not a prayer. Mantra doesnt mean something in another language, anything can become your mantra, such as something as simple as "I can".

Also depends on your definition of prayer. But say you are meditating and you start praying "dear god let my sick mom be healthy, let her sickness leave her and give her health" That is not meditation. That is prayer. Meditation is letting go of everything and just being. This is why you should focus on a simple thing for meditation. Like in the above examples, imagining a candle and focusing on the flame... watching your breathing, focusing on a symbol, a simple mantra etc etc.

as soon as you start "wanting or wishing" something you have stopped meditating.
    Meditating is forgetting about the world, and just being. No thoughts of the outside world, no contemplating emotions, you just are, being, breathing. The mind thinks about a million things a day, the goal is to slow it down and clear it. Not thinking about anything is impossible so you find a focus. A single thing.
    test
  12. TheBigPayback

Id like ro know where in the bible it says medititation an in what context
    test
  13. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i dont think anyone said it was in the bible... but i googled it, then cut and pasted this without reading most of it

now that i did what you asked, show us where it says in the bible to NOT meditate and that you will contact demons if you do...

Joshua 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

Psalm 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.

Psalm 19:14Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Philippians 4:8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Psalm 119:15 I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.

Psalm 119:97 Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day.

Psalm 104:34 May my meditation be pleasing to him, for I rejoice in the Lord.

Psalm 49:3 My mouth shall speak wisdom; the meditation of my heart shall be understanding.

Proverbs 4:20-22 My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh.

Psalm 119:148
    My eyes are awake before the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promise.

Psalm 119:23 Even though princes sit plotting against me, your servant will meditate on your statutes.

Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.

Psalm 143:5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all that you have done; I ponder the work of your hands.

Psalm 119:97-99Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation.

Psalm 119:78 Let the insolent be put to shame, because they have wronged me with falsehood; as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.

Psalm 119:48 I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on your statutes.

Psalm 119:11 I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Psalm 63:6 When I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night;

Psalm 63:5 My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,

Psalm 4:4 Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah

Genesis 24:63 And Isaac went out to meditate in the field toward evening. And he lifted up his eyes and saw, and behold, there were camels coming.

1 Timothy 4:13-15 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Psalm 139:18If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you.

Psalm 139:17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!

Psalm 119:55 I remember your name in the night, O Lord, and keep your law.

Psalm 77:10-12 Then I said, “I will appeal to this, to the years of the right hand of the Most High.” I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your wonders of old. I will ponder all your work, and meditate on your mighty deeds.

Psalm 1:1-6 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; ...

Acts 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

Luke 16:26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’

Psalm 119:59 When I think on my ways, I turn my feet to your testimonies;

Psalm 119:16 I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.

Psalm 119:9-11How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Psalm 77:11 I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your wonders of old.

Psalm 73:12-22 Behold, these are the wicked; always at ease, they increase in riches. All in vain have I kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence. For all the day long I have been stricken and rebuked every morning. If I had said, “I will speak thus,” I would have betrayed the generation of your children. But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, ...

Psalm 39:3 My heart became hot within me. As I mused, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue:

Job 1:1-22 There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job, and that man was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil. There were born to him seven sons and three daughters. He possessed 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen, and 500 female donkeys, and very many servants, so that this man was the greatest of all the people of the east. His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each one on his day, and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. And when the days of the feast had run their course, Job would send and consecrate them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, “It may be that my children have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did continually. ...

Hebrews 10:19-20Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh,

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
    test
  14. TheBigPayback

I said context not as in the word was used. Did it mean meditate in the way we are discussing it.
    test
  15. TheBigPayback

According to Webster’s New World Dictionary, yoga (coming from an east Indian Sanskrit word which means “union with god” or “to yoke”) is “a mystic and ascetic Hindu discipline for achieving union with the supreme spirit through meditation, prescribed postures, controlled breathing, etc.”

yoga “the missionary arm of Hinduism and the New Age movement.” We don’t often think of other religions having missionaries, but the philosophy and practice of yoga have been primary tools of Hindu “missionaries” to America since “Indian priest and mystic” Swami Vivekananda introduced yoga to the West at the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. Interestingly, Swami Vivekananda is attributed with the idea of combining the theory of “evolution of the soul” with his teachings of Hinduism. Instead of working out one’s “karma” by becoming a grasshopper, ant or human in progressive lives, he taught an “evolution of the soul” whereby the individual continues in an evolutionary process to “manifest the god within.”

Your yoga teacher may bow to her class saying, “Namaste” (“I bow to the divine in you.”). Poses have names such as Savasana (the Corpse Pose) and Bhujangasana (the Cobra or Snake Pose). References are made to chakras or “power centers” in the body, such as the “third eye.” The relaxation and visualization session at the end of yoga classes is skillfully designed to “empty the mind” and can open one up to harmful spiritual influences. As Christians, you are instructed to “be transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Romans 12:2), not the emptying of your mind. Many believe that transformation process occurs as we meditate and feed on the Word of God –renewing our minds by filling them with God’s thoughts, not emptying them or filling them with the prideful thoughts of man.

Did you know that yoga poses are offerings to the 330 million Hindu gods?

Need i say more
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i dont see what your point is

and i dont give a rats ass if meditation isnt in the bible nor do i give a shit what the context is when its mentioned...

you asked and i said all i did was google it and paste it

i dont even give a shit about the bible you do... so you keep worrying about it and ill keep not worrying about it

This thread is about meditation not yoga, or martial arts, or hinduism...

you and your intolerance just makes you look like an ass...
    test
  17. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

he is bent

that means he bends over (for jesus) `?
    test
  18. TheBigPayback

Well u should know where the things u participate in originate from . Wether u give a shit about the bible or not is irrelevant
    test
  19. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

I do i know more about it than you because i experience it

and i know its not demonic... thats stupid

and youre right, whether i care about the bible is irrelevant, because in the big picture the bible is irrelevant.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.