Ppl who like grindtime but don't like url are....

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by ddoc619, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonton soup

wonton soup Member

Only thing I don't like about URL are the 3 minute rounds. Not everyone needs to be rapping for three minutes. I find myself getting bored, and not finishing some of the battles.
    test
  2. mgavin1

mgavin1 New Member

URL does have a 'club' type atmosphere tho to me. I can think of at least 7 black rappers from grindtime, who URL wouldnt let battle cause they dont fit the style. And why arent there white battlers in URL?????
    test
  3. ddoc619

ddoc619 New Member

*gasp* i knew i should have checked my spelling for a thread that you obviously get the point of. *snaps fingers in disgust*
    test
  4. URSTRULEE

URSTRULEE Member

iam hispanic from the inner city whose associated wit people who actually do what these "street rappers" rap about.....so it has nothin to do wit race wit me atleast.....i dont dislike the url i jus perfer gt caws of its diversity compared to the url.....url has great talent...its just to bad its mostly one demensional....thats my probl;em wit the url....smack caters to only one fan base....and thats why url will die out like smack dvds did......i was tired of all that shit in 04'....and there still on that bull....p.s iam originally from nyc...so i dont wanna hear nothin bout west coast bias
    test
  5. URSTRULEE

URSTRULEE Member

and i seriously doubt that people dislike url because of race....theres all types of race of people in gt so i dont see the were u get that from....
    test
  6. UgOtWaShEd

UgOtWaShEd Member

the realest post in rm today!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  7. You are mad

You are mad Ur so angry

Or! or! Unlike the majority of URL fans the left hemisphere of my brain is actually in USE.

There are only a handful of street rappers I can tolerate, most of them are so one dimensional it's ridiculous.
    test
  8. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

This is a pretty interesting thread. I stumbled across it, ironically, after rewatching the T-Rex vs. Okwerdz battle, which I think the reaction to showed a lot of the tendencies that people are discussing in here.

A quick preface - I'm a fan of T-Rex, I think he's almost underrated as a battler and he definitely gave Math a serious run for his money, arguably even winning that battle. But to be perfectly honest, I think that battle with Ok was probably the worst performance of Rex's career. I've rarely seen him come so basic and unoriginal and I've NEVER seen his flow and delivery be so sloppy. His first round he has some decent shit, but even the highlights of that round become barely watchable as time goes on ("Hiiiii Ttttt-Rexxxxxx, I know that you're blaaaaaccccckkkkkk" ... what the fuck?) and I think it's pretty clear that he just showed up to MOB to collect a paycheque and didn't put a ton of preparation into the battle.

And yet, I distinctly remember when it came out there were a number of posters, even knowledgeable dudes who's opinions I generally respect, saying that Rex came better than they expected. I remember not understanding what they were on, but after reading some of Krown's posts towards the beginning of this thread I have to say I agree with the general principle that some people feel the need to back so-called "street rappers" almost as a form of overcompensation for their general preferences in battling. By that I mean jocking URL rappers or that aesthetic in general can be seen as a form of deflecting the claim that you're a "nerdy white GT fan."

My basic point is that there's nothing wrong with being a nerdy white dude. There's nothing wrong with enjoying one league's style or format more than another. But it can be a little disconcerting to see people posturing or posing for the somewhat socially created need, especially in a subculture as racially and culturally diverse as battle rap, to differentiate yourself from a stereotype. To me, it comes off as fake and defensive.

Anyways, that's just my two cents on the issue. And for the record, I am certainly white and nerdy, and I also on the whole prefer URL battles to GT ones, so I suppose my rant is a little hypocritical. It'd just be nice to see people doing them, being authentic and not needing to give a fuck about how they're perceived by a message board populace.
    test
  9. teacozy

teacozy New Member

people do the same thing for GT battlers.
    test
  10. GetPaid

GetPaid Well-Known Member

a) more inclined towards the general GT style, whatever that may be
    b) racist
    c) only able to stay alert for one minute rounds
    d) against Smack and/or his way of running his league and boycott him.
    e) from Canada, England, or Australia and only watch American battles involving battlers from their country
    f) more than one of the above
    g) all of the above

I probably missed a few.
    test
  11. ddoc619

ddoc619 New Member

leaned.
    test
  12. settingtrs

settingtrs New Member

OP... Nice inferiority complex you disgusting mongoloid.
    test
  13. Fatty Goodness

Fatty Goodness Registered Bruiser

this is about as on point as these threads have gotten. there are a few guys i pay attention to in any of the leagues really. it isn't worth listening to all these dudes try to learn to rap from battle to battle.
    test
  14. SuomiMetal

SuomiMetal \m/

The stupidity in this post and this thread as a whole are simply so idiotic and/or contradictory that I've chosen to read this thread from a satirical point of view for it all to make sense.
    test
  15. Blanco_

Blanco_ Pacman GotTheGatMan

You didn't get crucified for that and it was Jack Shitt who got crucified for saying that wack ass Syd Vicious would beat Verb and Math, I'm all for opinions that differ from mines but not opinions that have a clear retarded agenda behind them.

And with you its not a race thing but a lame bi-coastal thing where you never ever have anything good to say about a NY street battler,and no Hollow doesn't count as one.
    test
  16. mac lethal

mac lethal Active Member

This is a stupid thread that is reaching very fucking far.

I actually prefer URL's business model to GT's, because they release 10% of the amount of battles, making the ones they release must-watches. However, it makes the bad battles that much worse. They posted the new battle between K-Shine and Shotgun Suge, and I make no apologies when I say that BOTH of those rappers are WACK AS FUCK.

IF people are afraid to say URL battlers are garbage. It's almost some battle fan hipster shit. "Nah brah, I don't fuck with Grindtime. I'm strictly URL."

Reminds me of when indyrock fans started listening to Young Jeezy. I have yet to see that though.

Needless to say, no one is racist. Both leagues have had incredible battles, and both leagues have had absolutely terrible battles. In fact, are there even people who actually say "I do not like URL battles at all. Only Grindtime." ?

Who are we even talking about here? People like good battles and dislike wack ones. I have yet to see someone mindlessly dismiss an entire league. I mean, since when is Grindtime all white battlers and URL all black battlers? Grindtime has plenty of black battlers.
    test
  17. Blanco_

Mac Lethal "one of my testicles is better than Okwerdz"

You're in no position to say Suge is wack though he is overall, K-Shine is a monster. Mac Lethal you're garbage and would lose to any decent battler in the written format.
    test
  18. ddoc619

ddoc619 New Member

............. yea. if you are coming from a fan's point of view then i respect your opinion but being you have stated before you really don't care about battles im guessing you're coming from a battler's standpoint. with that being said neither of them were wack as fuck and you should probably hone your craft before you start saying comments like that. but whatever its your opinion.
    test
  19. sidestepp

sidestepp New Member

I struggle to get into URL battles but I definitely appreciate what they do and would never dismiss the emcees as talentless fakes. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in battling, I like to watch entertaining battles, shit that makes me laugh, that's the reason I am such an avid fan - rapping ability is secondary for me because that's what I enjoy in hip-hop music rather than battling specifically.
    test
  20. Blanco_

Even though what I look for in battles is different from yours, I respect your opinion and thought this post was very fair and balanced. And even though I'm a big time URL fan, I like comedic battlers myself like Frank Stacks who always makes me laugh.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.