Power of Words - But Any Careers?

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by UFO the Phoenix, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UFO the Phoenix

UFO the Phoenix I DONT BELIEVE IN ALIENS!

Just wondering what is everyone doing with their work outside of the "poetry realm"

do ya'll perform spoken word...do shows...write books...teach classes...sale poems?...what do ya'll do with your words

What all can we do with poetry?....what are our options?

Just curious because I have this passion for poetry and I'm blessed with this gift but can't see any way to make money out of it or use it to make some great impact

Hit me with ya'll ideas....(if your going to school let me know what for could spark my interest)
    test
  2. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

I aint goin to school until next year, but hopefully i get accepted to The University of Iowa.
    Majoring in creative writing.
    All i gotta do is work on spoken word, because i lack tremendously in that

If i dont make it to the U

I'll prolly go anywhere i can, and get my english major with an emphasis on writing.

But who knows, lol

God Bless
    test
  3. Sykda

Sykda New Member

Im going to be writing a book here shortly.. A short book... Something Fictional..Probably about 1-2 hundred pages.. Somethign just to start me off with getting the idea fo writing novels.

Im only 16, so I still got my whole life ahead of me.. But I do not wish to make this a career, but a hobby, a releif, a style of life. I dont do spoken word. I dont like that. I feel that thats not the basis of poetry.. Yet a branch from it.. And I help my teacher and school in writing poems.. I teach a little bit after school. I teach more on the basis of Literary terms and stuff like that. But I basically teach them to write better. Im still new at writing myself.. But this is a volunteer thing...
    test
  4. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Like I said before, no way to make big money in poetry. Or even decent money really, except teaching. Spoken word doesn't pay shit, mostly not at all... selling poems isn't what publishing is about, only like the top 1% of journals pay for work, and they're pretty much impossible to get into until you've got a big name. You need to publish in normal journals for years pretty much until you get into shit like the new yorker, the atlantic monthly, paris review etc... Books don't make too much money either. Not very many people buy poetry books... not enough to use publishing as a main source of income. Teaching is basically the only way to go.

Good luck with the UofI, they have a really good creative writing dept. I'm going to either UCIrvine, or UCRiverside (they have the best screenwriting classes in the west) as a junior transfer next year. I was thinking about UofI, NYU and Emerson, but I just don't have the money to go out of state for undergraduate...
    test
  5. Sole Sovereign

Sole Sovereign Hungry But Never Starving

You need to look at making money as a writer, not a poet, once you've established yourself as a writer whether it be novelist or play write, then you can look at publishing and selling poetry. I have a pretty big plan for getting my poetry out there, but it's long and drawn out. I've already one Del Rey's Editor's Choice Award four times with my fantasy novels, and I have a deadline in February for my first published novel, anyways... it's a start and it's coming along quite well. I talked Kim into getting Jeff to open a sub forum to the realm in which we could post short stories and other creative writing projects aside from poetry, It was doing well for a while, then my son died and I left... I don't know what happened to it.
    test
  6. Sykda

Sykda New Member

Sad to hear that...

But... Yeah.. Hope all your careers or plans work out well... and I hope we can get this shit back up.. The writers forum..
    test
  7. DaJackle

DaJackle ThoughtS ProcessinG

i agree with Sykda about it being my hobby, a relief...but i disagree with Spoken Word not being an important part of Poetry...in fact it is....back when poetry started...because of entertainment purposes...poetry were recited by the author...which i think its a important part of poetry that tkaes it from this text-plane, to a more personal one...cause it's your words, your sound, your expression...text is all good with telling a story...but i would prefer to hear it how the author want it to be read....anyways...umm...like ana said...it is very hard to get paid with poetry...look at alicia keys...if she would have initially started with her poetry book...it would take her quite a while to get noticed...but it is a good thing to have a platform to give you a boost...but then again...there are exceptions to anything...good luck
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.