Post your stats

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Juked, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

it allows you to wank off for longer periods of time without getting fatigued
    test
  2. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

it could help your bench if your rotators are weak....but, if your rotators are strong it might only minimally benefit you...

heres an excerpt from the article

"By August 15, he was able to do 35 pounds in the single-arm external rotation for eight reps, and a 331-pound close-grip bench press. That means he had a 51-pound improvement in the close-grip bench press without even doing the exercise for 12 weeks! His rotator cuff strength was now at 10.6% of his close-grip bench press. Therefore, he enabled his close-grip poundage to zoom upwards."

poliquin also mentioned this paticular guy had weak overhead and brachialis strength...so poliquin probably had him do shoulder presses and preacher curls(since he mentioned those exercises)...which could have also helped his bench...

the point of the article was to show people how to find their weaknesses....
    test
  3. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

Age- 21
    Height- 5-11
    Weight- 205
    BF%- Around 12-14

I've been lifting seriously since last Summer

When I started I was a runt. Really my first bench I got about 8 at 135 and almost died. So since then, I'm at...

Bench- 225
    Squat - 300
    I haven't really done dead lifts

supplements:
    Creatine
    Glutamine
    Protein

Also on a diet of grilled chicken and fish, vegetables, etc, etc....
    test
  4. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

damn you guys needa hit those deadlifts. what a wonderful movement that is.
    test
  5. i am next week, need to work on my traps...my triceps are looking huge.
    test
  6. Juked

Juked like 20 of the Lions.

amen to that...

i used to be one of those guys who would go into the gym and just work my chest and arms hopin to get big...

once i started doin squats and deads the magic started...

plus they are fun cuz they are so intense.
    test
  7. absolute zero

it sucks because i go to college and i only get the opportunity to lift 2 days a week. I have basketball 3 days a week and I go back home to work every weekend. It's hard to get in all the lifting I want to. On Monday I do Chest and Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders and back on thursday, and abs every other day. I really don't have time for much more.
    test
  8. LiveFromThe781

dude if youve got a limited amount of time to lift and you cant even hit the gym for 30 mins 3x a week you might as well just hit the most bang for buck exercses you can, like squats and deadlifts. i mean for someone who doesnt hit the gym a lot squats are going to be your best friend. the release of GH from pressure on the spine via the weight on your shoulders and the test produced via hitting the largest muscle group (legs) will cause the rest of your body to grow anyway.
    test
  9. absolute zero

hmm. thanks for the advice, i'll definitely be trying those. I do get to the gym twice a week for 2 hours, not 30 minutes though. lol .
    test
  10. LiveFromThe781

2hrs at a time is way too long broseph. 1hr is the avg. but if youre really busy you could try going for less time and with the time you saved work on something else that is taking from your gym time so that hopefully you can go at least 3times a week. i think 4 times a week is optimal but 3 will do especially if you do the right types of movements when youre there.

lots of people like to go and just do the bench and curl type of shit when those are the least crucial movements to perform. theres been times where i was at the gym a little longer than expected or was over-exhausted and ditched things like curls and pushdowns but if theres a training week where i dont do my legs ill feel so guilty.
    test
  11. Funasty

Funasty New Member

Shit, like 6 months ago before I seperated my shoulder again and sprained my knee..

Bench: 375 (3 rep max)
    Squat: 550
    Power Clean: 255
    Dead lift: 475
    test
  12. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

using the same workout routine over and over is so 90s

get with the times
    test
  13. LiveFromThe781

i like you.
    test
  14. LiveFromThe781

doing a different exercise every training session to "keep the body guessing" is soooo "300". Get with reality.
    test
  15. Ben Official

????????????????

ive been doing this long before 300 came out, its how most pro athletes, at least in my field, train. its by far the most effective
    test
  16. Ben Official

plus its way more fun.
    test
  17. LiveFromThe781

nah man, ive trained that way too and you cant compare doing 11 upside down pushups to getting in the gym and blasting some weight you couldnt lift a few months earlier. it was a good feeling for me when i was doing reps with a weight that used to be my 1RM a couple months earlier.
    test
  18. Ben Official

but we train for different reasons. you train purely to get stronger and look good, right? you dont care about cardio or doing any sports or anything.

I train for the purpose of getting strong at the same time as keeping my cardio top notch, which isn't the same. I am doing this for a sport, not to look good. So I can't go in, do a little minimum cardio run to warm up and just purely lift. I need to bust my ass strength and conditioning wise to do what I do.

So yeah, if your just training to look like a body builder and not really use it in any other way than strength, go stick to the routine of compound lifts, but that doesn't work for athletic training
    test
  19. LiveFromThe781

maybe not in ju-jitsu (a sport emphasized on little people), but athletic training as a whole? compound lifts and using them to build strength are very important. just about every sport people train using free weights.
    test
  20. absolute zero

for the most part i stick to my routine, but i definitely like to try out new workouts as much as i can.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.