Possibly the real reason for the forum change

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by mikeski, Jun 17, 2013.

1. mikeski

mikeski New Member

test
  2. Nick Vayne

Nick Vayne Well-Known Member

Didn't they already explain that the updated version was shit?
    test
  3. EnzoTen

EnzoTen Active Member

Not the reason. Here is what was spent in licensing alone.

http://xenforo.com/purchase/
    License - $140
    Brand Removal - $250
    Enhanced Search - $50
    Other Plugins and Enhancement Licenses - $280
    Total = $720

The real reason is that Vbulletin is garbage. And while everyone is a little freaked out by a little change and a few minor features that didn't carry over, there are lots of really great new features and functionality on the site. The site is on a much better path than if it was upgraded with VB. There are a lot of improvements in the next version of Xenforo which the site will be upgraded to around Aug.
    test
  4. Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde Well-Known Member

^^ I suggest you pay for a UX designer to have a look over this website. A few CSS changes here and there, use of plenty of free web elements, spacing, padding, etc. and you can have a much nicer looking website with all the added functionality that this new software gives

Can you please explain the reasoning in putting the new site live when it's obvious no real UX or functionality testing was performed? Was there even a test site available?

I find it odd, that a website of this size/popularity would not have done more testing before such a big change to both design and functionality
    test
  5. martymcfly

martymcfly Well-Known Member

i'm mostly disappointed with the visual aesthetic of the change. i preferred the vbulletin minimalism and these giant icons and avatars besides threads are buggin me. xenforo's alright and i understand that vbulletin's foundation is archaic.
    test
  6. EnzoTen

EnzoTen Active Member

We choose Xenforo because it gave the best UX foundation to build on compared to every other forum platforms. This foundation makes up the majority of the user experience and extensive testing has been done by Xenforo and in collaboration with the thousands of communities using the XF platform. You will see improvements based on that testing in the next version i mentioned above, 1.2. You will see improvements in the editor, smile panel, and mobile accessibility to name a few.

Spacing, padding, ect are only a small part of UX and these are outside of the core functionality of the site and can be improved and we are improving them. The elements now are generic and likely free but will be replaced with our own custom elements when and where appropriate.

The site was tested for a few months by the entire staff but it wasn't appropriate to test with the entire community. We are currently taking feedback from the thousands in the community and have already implemented lots of it in these first few days.

UX is an art not just in the visual design but with the testing process and project collaboration and these things take time. There is definitely thought and consideration going into the UX of RM.
    test
  7. mikeski

mikeski New Member

Thanks for clearing it up.
    test
  8. nnnnnnnnn

nnnnnnnnn DOUG MUNNiE ~EZMunnieCLIQ

so why werent u ppl up front that we are not getting the rep system + whos viewing thread etc ????? if u know all this shit about vbulletin and that u were not gonna use it , why let us all complain and wonder whats going on ??

classy way to handle it , just avoid talkin about it lmao
    test
  9. EnzoTen

EnzoTen Active Member

I'll gladly talk about it.

When moving to a different forum system the features don't line up perfectly and we try to find the best analogs to what was on the old forum. When the staff tested the forum not getting the exact same rep system was probably the biggest concerns but there wasn't something that matched perfectly. There were a few sacrifices and downsides but far more upsides and new features. By far the biggest upside is will no longer be an archaic mess of tangled code that cannot be updated- did you know that the old RM on VBulletin wasn't updated in almost 6 years? There were too many abandoned plugins and codebases that made it extremely hard to update. Even if we upgraded to a newer version of VB similar or far more sacrifices would have had to be made and we would still be on crummy VB.

"Who is viewing threads" will most likely be back. We are carefully reviewing the plugins to make sure its solid, does not crash the site, and had a solid developer behind it so that we don't end up with another rats nest of code we cannot update for 6 years.

There was an announcement on day one that said not everything will be 100% and that features will need to be added over the coming weeks. Sacrifices and missing features will be addressed or superseded by something better.
    test
  10. KingFly

KingFly *K.O.T.D.*

this forum is built by the same lead developers who built vbulletin and uses pretty much the same core code as this 3.8 software. they left vbulletin because they didnt like the new 4.xx system as it was a complete re-write and wanted to keep the same coding as the 3.xx. further proof of this is that xenforo were sued by the owners of the vbulletin software and settled out of court after numerous motions were denied by xenforo to have the suit thrown out.
    so to say vbulletin is garbage is basically saying this forum is garbage too as it is based off the exact same coding as the old forum software you had installed. you could also have updated just the 3.8 series and not have to have gone to 4.xx or 5.xx now. they are still releasing 3.8 fixes, last one was 3.8.7 patch level 3 and there is a 3.8.8 beta 1 currently in testing.

and all of most of the features on the old software, even if it didnt have current support, were stable enough to not need updates. and there are still 3.xx add ons being built daily that are supported and if you know a bit of coding, you can even get some 4.xx features to work. i know because i visit vbulletin.org daily
    [​IMG]

so im not really buying that explanation.
    test
  11. EnzoTen

EnzoTen Active Member

It's not the same coding. I'm not sure how to respond to these fabricated assumptions.

IGN, one of the largest forums on the internet with 93M posts moved the site to Xenforo, not VBulletin.

Most of the largest Xenforo forums convert from Vbulletin.

VB 3.xx on a larger sites like RM is a completely different ball game. Small performance issues are amplified.

What do you buy? What do you think the real reason for the upgrade was?
    test
  12. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

Well... the new design is better looking and with more features, if they save money that's pretty astonishing.
    test
  13. KingFly

KingFly *K.O.T.D.*

i said it uses "pretty much" the same coding. XF is on Zend Framework, which is the only major difference. Both coding in PHP and require a database.
    not to mention what the lawsuit was about:
    "widespread infringement and unlawful exploitation" of vBulletin's source code and "equally damaging misappropriation of trade secrets" developed and owned by vBulletin with "investments of millions of dollars over the last ten years." The lawsuit further alleges that the developers of XenForo Ltd. "took with them virtually every type of document a competitor would need to enter the market and unlawfully create a competing bulletin board software program"
    if that doesnt make it fully sink in that is is basically the same code, since it was written by the EXACT same people who wrote the vb 3.8 code. If it wasnt the same code - or based off the same code 1) they would of never got sued 2) if they really didnt do it, i highly doubt they would settled out of court, especially after numerous motions to have the case dismissed. and of course there are changes to make it work on with Zend as there would be with any code being adapted to run on a different framework.

IGN isnt a forum site though. It HAS a forum and uses XF as its forum software, same as the KOTD official site. Nobody calls that a forum site, but yet it has a forum.

now lets look at actual FOURM SITES - this is a list of all the major forum sites. please point out how many of them are using XF over VB...
    [​IMG]

hahaha of course it would be like that, anyone with a stable forum for the last 3 years all had VB. of couses most if not all the big converts would be from vbulletin. you think people still use UBB or phpBB for forum software on a large scale?

if you know what you are doing - no its not.

im not 100% completely sure, but i figure it has to do with money, especially after members of GC contacted people and told them the site was losing money since CG took over and there would be significant changes in order to try and generate income.

so at least be honest about the reasons for the change - had nothing to do with the actual software being "garbage", it was about trying to find something that would generate more income. Maybe there are more places to put ads in this software, or had a better ad system, i dont really know, but be up front and say the change was to try and make more money, not some excuses on the software, especially when you switch one that is sooooo similar to what you used to use
    test
  14. SHOWTIME

SHOWTIME ducking rich dolarz

my biggest complaint about the new website is ur faggy anime avatar

fuck outta here with that obescure anime avatar of a happy goin ass asian rocky balboa inspired nigga
    test
  15. EnzoTen

EnzoTen Active Member

I'm not going to nitpick all of your inaccuracies- its not a fight worth having. It would be like me arguing with you about battle rap and insisting that everything i say is correct. I know forum software and have lots of years experience with it.

I don't know why you are so argumentative. How about having a conversation on how to make the place better instead of dropping a grenade in the room? Many members have said, this, this, and this needs to be fixed and those issues have been fixed almost all of the rest are being addressed. If the site is "sooooo similar" to what was here before what's the problem?

CG is not a charity, but you cannot make more money by simply slapping more ads on the page (there is in fact one less ad on the new RM). The primary goal needs to be building a platform people want to use and that goal lead CG to change to Xenforo. XF is a better forum platform than VB that does create a better user experience. XF was vetted by many people at CG with many years not just working with forums but building them. Its better architecturally and its better for the forum member.

I am trying to create a bigger and better place- a place you can promote what you do. I didn't input KOTD events in here just for fun, http://rapmusic.com/events/upcoming - i got a lot of respect for what you do and want to see all the battle leagues do well. Why do we have to be at opposite ends?
    test
  16. martymcfly

that ain't anime nigga. that's Toshiro Mifune, the realest nigga who ever lived
    test
  17. MindTaker

MindTaker GFY

Amen to that. I'm still not making ANY money.
    test
  18. SHOWTIME

SHOWTIME ducking rich dolarz

was he celebratin that he's da realest nigga out in the picture you have as set as your avy?
    test
  19. Im Technical

Im Technical I got 30 pages of rhymes

Dead at stormfront having 200k members, americans some retards
    test
  20. martymcfly

oh word thought you meant my avatar on the new site. this nigga's modeled after tyson
    test