Poem Forms

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by skandelous_lala, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skandelous_lala

skandelous_lala back from the dead

I need to sleep lol but I wanted to do this for ya'll

I whipped up my super duper Making of a Poem book (great book if you want learn about different styles and tons of examples) and have seen some talk and poems being posted up following forms so I thought that I would share some with ya'll if you want to take a shot at any of them.

The Villanelle

1) This poem is 19 lines.
    2) The poem has 5 stanzas, each of which have 3 lines except the last one which contains 4 lines.
    3) The 1st line of the 1st stanza is repeated as the last line of the 2nd and 4th stanzas
    4) The 3rd line of the 1st stanzaq is repeated as the last line of the 3rd and 5th stanzas
    5) These two refrain lines follow each other to become the last 2 lines of the poem
    6) THe rhyme scheme is ABA, repeated according to the refrains.

The Sestina

1) The poem is 39 lines
    2) The poem contains 6 stanzas composed of 6 lines each
    3) It is then followed with a finish of 3 lines
    4) All of these lines are unrhymed
    5) The same 6 end words must occur in every stanza but in a changing order that follows a set pattern, this is known as "lexical repetition"
    6) Each stanza must follow on the last by taking a reversed pairing of the previous lines
    7) The 1st line of the 2nd stanza must pair its end words with the last line of the first. The 2nd line of the 2nd stanza must do this with the 1st and so on.
    8) The last 3 lines must gather up and deploy the 6 end words.

Yeah I'm lost too lol I'll try to post up an example later. UFO recently did one I know as well...so if he would like to share his here or post a link..or maybe if you want to write one he could help if you ask him nicely lol

The Pantoum

1) Each stanza must be 4 lines long.
    2) The length is unspecified but the pantoum must being and end with the same line
    3) The 2nd and 4th lines of the first quatrain(stanza) become the 1st and 3rd lines of the next, and so on with the succeeding quatrains.
    4) The rhyming of each quatrain is ABAB, but the final quatrain will change this pattern.
    5) In the final quatrain the unrepeated 1st and 3rd lines are used in reverse as the 2nd and 4th lines.

The Sonnet

1) It is a poem of 14 lines, usually iambic.
    2) There are 2 different forms w/ 2 different histories behind them: The Petrarchan and the Shakespearean.
    3) The Petrarchan is of Italian origin, has an octave of 8 lines and a sestet of 6. The rhyme scheme of the octave is ABABCDCD and of the sestet CDECDE.
    4) The Shakespearean was developed in England. The rhyme scheme is ABABCDCDEFEFGG. There is not octave/sestet structure to it. The final couplet is its defining feature.

The Ballad

1) It's a short narrative, which is usually but not always arranged in 4 line stanzas with a distinctive memorable meter.
    2) The usual ballad meter is a 1st and 3rd line with 4 stresses known as iambic tetrameter, and then a 2nd and 4th with three stresses known as iambic trimeter.
    3) The rhyme scheme is ABAB or ABCB.
    4) The subject matter is distinctive, almost always of communal stories of lost love, supernatural happenings, or recent events.
    5) The ballad maker usees popular and local speech and dialogue often and vividly to convey the story.

Blank Verse

1) It is an iambic line with 10 stresses and 5 beats.
    2) It is unrhymed.
    3) It is traditionally associated with dramatic speech and epic poetry.
    4) The lack of rhyme makes emjambment more possible and often more effective.
    5) It is often indentified as the poetic form closest to human speech.

The Heroic Couplet

1) It is rhyming pairs of lines.
    2) The meter is usually iambic pentameter but may also be tetrameter.
    3) The pentameter couplet has 10 syllables w/ alternating stresses.
    4) The rhyme scheme progresses as AABBCC, ect.
    5) The heroic couiplet denoted that it was a form in which a high subject matter could be written, often used for translation of epic poetry in classical Greek & Latin
    6) It works by adapting the old Chaucerian line and allowing a strong pause or caesura in the middle of the line.
    7) The caesura usually comes after the 5th or 6th syllable. Its sharp rhymes and regular beat made it widely used in the 16th, 17th, & 18th centuries for epigrammatic and satirical poetry.

So yeah...try some out..expand your creativity..or not lol

I'll try to post up some examples later of some contemporary pieces so you can see that structure doesn't necessarily hafta be completely boring lol

Or if you yourself have some favorites in these forms feel free to post them up.

You can check back in the realm too if you feel like searching. I posted my own Villanelle...I believe UFO did as well along with a sestina.
    test
  2. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

Nice post. I've tried all of those you posted except the last one. I'll be damn if I post them and make myself look like a fool though lol.

There is this site I go to called shadowpoetry.com

They have a lot of poem forms you can check out there.

Up
    test
  3. Thanks skandelous, some interesting forms here. The only thing i'm not sure of is the claim that blank verse shouldn't rhyme. I believe it can rhyme and does in shakespeare's plays.
    test
  4. skandelous_lala

skandelous_lala back from the dead

Brit..I'm not sure hun..I took it from my book so it could be wrong. I took it as it "doesn't necessarily have to rhyme".. not as it MUST NOT rhyme. If I find any additionall info I'll post it up here.

Someday I'll get around to posting examples lol
    test
  5. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

u might wanna help out the ptl and give these examples a try in there... we've used most of those formts before when that league started, but it was washed away a long time ago

I think they might need your help moddin there too since there's 8 mods and only 1 or 2 of them help out in there

just a suggestion
    test
  6. MisterEThoughts

MisterEThoughts MysteryOfUntoldTruth

Thank You! i really appreciate this....
    test
  7. Atticus Prophet

Atticus Prophet Hears to the Mute

I Usually Just Write.

So, Probally Just Using A Freestyle Form.

I Think I'm Gonna Play Around With Some Of These Though,
    Nice Post.
    test
  8. Nitsuj™

Nitsuj™ We Are The Resistance

This will help. thank you
    test
  9. musicbuff

musicbuff New Member

any1 can add me i dont really care
    msn:pinnell_69@msn.com
    yahoo:musicb_buff_cassy@yahoo.com