Pistons handed their 10th lost.

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by Purple Haze, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Lets take a trip down memory lane shall we.

1995-96: Greatest Ever? Bulls win 72 Games, Title

After hearing for an entire offseason that he wasn't quite the same player as he had been when he abruptly retired in 1993, Michael Jordan was driven to lead the Bulls to the NBA championship for the fourth time in six years. His supporting cast included Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman, acquired in a preseason trade. Though a talented collection of players, no one could have predicted what the team would accomplish.

After losing to Seattle to fall to 10-2 in late November, the team won 31 of its next 32 games, including 14 during an undefeated January. Although they lost back-to-back games at Denver and Phoenix to avoid becoming the first team in NBA history to play an entire season without consecutive losses, their failures were few and far between.

They were nearly invincible at home, going 37-0 (extending their home winning streak to 44) before losing to the Charlotte Hornets on April 8. At Milwaukee, on April 16, they achieved what many experts never thought possible - 70 wins - with a 86-80 decision over the Bucks. They finished 72-10, breaking the 69-13 record of the 1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers. Only the Indiana Pacers were able to beat the Bulls twice.

In doing so, the Bulls won many of the postseason awards: Jordan was named the league's Most Valuable Player and was the All-Star Game MVP. He led the league in scoring (30.4 ppg) ranked third in steals (2.20 spg), and 11th in three-point field-goal percentage. Pippen, long regarded as perhaps the best all-around player in the NBA, averaged 19.4 ppg, 6.4 rpg and 5.9 apg, and finished 12th in the NBA in steals.

Rodman, who added an element of intrigue with his unique antics and unparalled rebounding ability, led the league in rebounds (14.9 rpg). Rodman, Jordan and Pippen were all named to the league's All-Defensive Team. Toni Kukoc won the NBA Sixth Man Award, and the supporting cast included Steve Kerr (second in three-point field goal percentage), Luc Longley (9.1 ppg) and Ron Harper (7.4 ppg).

In the playoffs, the Bulls kept rolling, losing only one playoff game in series wins over Miami, New York and Orlando. In the Finals, the Bulls beat the Sonics in six games, finishing with a postseason record of 15-3, and an overall record of 87-13, the best in NBA history. Jordan was named the Finals MVP for the fourth time as he cemented his legend in the Windy City and in NBA annals.

96 Bulls > 06 Pistons.

http://www.nba.com/games/20060301/DETDEN/boxscore.html?nav=scoreboardhome
    test
  2. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Still can't believe we lost twice to the fucking Sonics. We shoulda swept their gay asses.
    test
  3. Wizdumb The MC

Wizdumb The MC NICK FURY

Wow so the Pistons get no credit at all huh? That's typical.

All anyone wants to do is smash on the Pistons.

They NEVER get no love for their hard work.

That's what I love about them.

That's why they're doing so well.

Thank you.
    test
  4. Who Kares

Who Kares not even your mother

all he said was 96 bulls > 06 pistons...which is 100 % true....

why you have your panties in a bunch...i have no idea...
    test
  5. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

^ Yeah, the article didn't dis-respect them just cuz they said they are inferior to the 96 Bulls.
    test
  6. Who Kares

i didnt read article...so piss off
    test
  7. Who Kares

even tho that statement was also true....to even talk about them in the same breath as the 96 bulls is a joke...
    test
  8. G-Rob da great

G-Rob da great Fear moondog.

96 Bulls, along with a few other teams > 06 Pistons

It's not even a given that the Pistons will win a championship this year. They're not even the unquestioned best team THIS year.

I'm sick of the hoopla around them. They're a great team- and they have been for the last 4 years.. but too many people got caught up with their first 25 games instead of realizing its only a little more than a quarter of a season. 4 all stars was uncalled for (even though they played well in the game).
    test
  9. Who Kares

91 , 92, 93, 96, 97, 98 Bulls > 06 Pistons
    test
  10. Cigma

Cigma Maxwell's Demon

What the Pistons accomplished the first half of the season was remarkable, but not truly suprising since they've had the most consistent rotation for the past few years.

So I mean, when you are 1 game away from winning a championship the year before, and you play your 5 starters almost exclusively, you are going to win a bunch of games.

But I think that will come back to haunt the Pistons. Sure Delfino has developed, but their bench is still suspect. And since the starters have logged some heavy minutes, as the season heads to the playoffs the toll will show.

Meanwhile - San Antonio is making it's annual push. Despite Tim Duncan battling injuries all year, as well as Manu, the Spurs are still near the top in the standings. And getting healthier. Pop knows how to gear a team for the playoffs, and expect the Champs to go in with a head full of steam.

Today's game against Dallas is pivotal - not only is the mental edge over the opposing team at stake, but also home court advantage in the West.
    test
  11. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

Did you move to Chicago or something?

anyways, I think the Pistons prefer to be hated on and thought of as an underachieving team, and I want them to win it all this year. I love Rasheed and Ben. I think Rip is a bitch, but Tayshaun and Billups are dope. Deserving team. It's funny how they have the best record and are still viewed as the underdogs, or looked down on.

Pz
    test
  12. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

^So are the Spurs... they're disrespected and they've won 3 or 4 championships in the last 5 years.

Fans love flash and glam... Pistons and Spurs are TEAMS, so of course, that means they're "boring."
    test
  13. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

I meant, the last 8 years... because they won in '99, '03, and '05.
    test
  14. Klas~Sick

Klas~Sick New Member

they aint gona win 70 games, 64-68
    test
  15. Purple Haze

I'll say 68-69 games.
    test
  16. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

I agree, but Championship teams like the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics were all teams that people loved and supported. ...it's weird...maybe cuz detroit lacks a superstar on the magic johnson - michael jordan caliber. and maybe cuz, even though he's really dope, tim duncan fundamentalism is just too boring. just thoughts

Pz
    test
  17. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

True... but those teams had flashy and glamorous superstars full of controversy and intrigue... that's what interests the casual fan.

Only real basketball purists care about fundamentals.

As for the Lakers, I hope you meant the Showtime Lakers of the '80s... because the Kobe-Shaq Lakers of the early part of this decade were not well-received by all... and I hesitate to call them a dynasty, too, just because they won 3 in a row.
    test
  18. style-rip

style-rip Lakers>Clippers

who cares about the pistons, they are going no where this year. lets talk about what really matters, and thats how the lakers are going to dominate in the playoffs against dallas
    test
  19. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

Lol, of course I'm talkin about the show time lakers. The recent lakers were too dysfunctional to be a dynasty.

Pz
    test
  20. Purple Haze

They lost to the Lakers last night. Kobe dropped a light 40 on their asses. Thats their 1th lost.

Too bad.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.