People who record for a living, or talented amatuers...question....?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by SIN, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SIN

SIN Sincerely

Is it worth it to cop the focusrite voicemaster pro, vs. my current presonus tube pre and comp 16?

would I really hear the difference or would I just be like, damn i want an Avalon?

anyone ever use this thing??

[​IMG]
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

While the Focusrite is quite the improvement over the Presonus.. You will probably still want the avalon.. all of those front end effects on the Voice master are nice, but typically you don't want to add them while recording to disk.. it's much more effective to add them after recording.. For example.. I use a high end model Focusrite.. the ISA 220.. it's known for its quality and transparency.. however in my experience with the avalon.. the avalon wins.. it's difficult to beat the avalon.. using a good solid state condenser mic with a great tube preamp is a winning combination in rap music.. and this is where the avalon really shines, so long as it is a good match with your mic and vocals.. if you want something that is even better than the avalon.. check out the Manley Voxbox...

All in all, I would definitely save up for something better.. something that will satisfy your urge to upgrade and not leave you wanting to still upgrade again later.. good luck.
    test
  3. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Mastering Engineer/Mod

but then again, the avalon is probably not within his budget
    test
  4. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

Seems like his set up is working currently.

I suggest saving up and getting the Avalon like Roush said.
    If the Avalons good enough for Dre, it's good enough for me.
    test
  5. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

I've used different focusrites between Ghetalion and Soleternity recording me, and I can tell you that the two songs I did with the u87ai and the Avalon blew me the f*ck away! And the engineer on that session was not a good one, but Sol and Ghet are both amazing. The Avalon STILL made the difference.

If you can stand it, get the Avalon. That's a no brainer.
    test
  6. Predator INC

Predator INC New Member

ive had that same preamp and its amazing u just gotta get use to how to tweak the knobs to fit different voices and make sure u give yourself plenty of distance from the mic because a good vocalist will be able to project. its a great preamp.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.