Panic disorder and GAD

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by The Steve, Aug 1, 2013.

1. The Steve

The Steve Space monkey I am not

I used to think that people with panic attacks were greatly exaggerating. I was wrong, very wrong.

Also, heath care costs are fucking outrageous.
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

ive never had a panic attack, but ive been so stressed out i was desperate for anything to end the horrible feeling.

anxiety sucks shit. Im pretty sure i had an anxiety disorder for like 15yrs. I dont know for sure im not doctor, but i was anxious ALL the time with feelings of worry, i wouldnt even know what i was worried about, i was just worried.
    test
  3. Caesar

Caesar Natural Aristocracy

The modern first world diet and increasingly sedentary lifestyles have fucked us all up royaly and I personally believe lead to many historically unique disorders.

I wanted to believe that a lot of things were just big pharma bullshit inventions, but no.
    test
  4. Caesar

Caesar Natural Aristocracy

Next time somebody tells you that ADHD is a made up condition - smack that motherfucker.

It's been hell.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

My brother is the most stoic, hard boned, tough mother fucker I know (Marine infantry several deployments was a street kid before that etc.), and he had a panic attack and said it was the scariest moment of his life.

That's why I believe they are real.
    test
  6. Pyronoa Zoro

Pyronoa Zoro Demon Cutter

I'm one of those people that believes it can't happen to them. Even though I know it can happen to anyone.
    depression, anxiety, panic attacks, personality/emotional disorders are all foreign, incomprehensible concepts to me.

i, perhaps naively, believe that i can overcome anything and that nothing can match my willpower.
    test
  7. The Steve

I've always had mild social anxiety, but nothing that ever interfered with my life. Then last October I got hit like a freight train by a panic attack. Similar to Keeper's brother, was the scariest moment of my life, hands down. I wouldn't wish that shit on anyone.
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i cant imagine what its like. I know what anxiety feels like, and anxiety over nothing in particular that lasts weeks and months, and massive stress. But Ill be jiggered if i can imagine a panick attack. Sounds terrible by all accounts ive heard. But i dont think anyone can understand unless it happens to them. Maybe ive had one, i wouldnt even know, i dont know the signs of it. Ive been desperately stressed before though. I wouldnt wish that on anyone and seriously feel for anyone who is stressed out. Ive avoided doctors though my whole life so i was never diagnosed with anything. But again i have no clue lol. Ive gone to the doctor like 3-4 x in the last 20yrs and it was for injuries. Probably why i had that issue for so long haha. I cant believe i lived with that shit slowly building for so long.... I coulda saved myself a lot of grief if id have just gone and asked for help

Im all good now though. Atleast, its been a quite a long while since i felt that feeling.
    test
  9. Thomas Huxley

Thomas Huxley Well-Known Member

The first one I got was during a hike. It was during one of the first attempts to sober up and I'd recently had renal failure and I was miles from anybody without a phone so I just sat down and cried figuring it's was all over.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  10. The Steve

That'd be awful. I ended up going to the ER, BP was 190/90 and the doctor went off Googling what pharms I had recently been using. After that I had a few more big attacks, but since it's been GAD and health anxiety.
    test
  11. The Steve

Hard to describe. Imagine being extremely uncomfortable, multiply it by a 100, and know beyond any doubt that you're about to die. That's how it was for me anyway. The doctors haven't been much help, I was taking low dose Xanax for a while. Saw a psychologist who was absolutely worthless, started directing me to CBT websites as if I'd never used a computer before. Exercise and clean diet seems to help more than anything.
    test
  12. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

that anciety was a great teacher, it led you to a spiritual path..a journey to your inenrmost feelings and truths, and ultimately made you a better person
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  13. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

i really do admire your honesty..many people subconsicously work out and train their bodies a lot in order to build a hull, an imaginary shield against these feelings of helplessness and distrought..to vanquish the fear..it does help to keep busy, no doubt..

back in time, a great many generations ago we had to fight daily to make it through, there was no time to sit back and relax a lot, it was a struggle day in and day out..these times are more or less over, and people go nuts..because many cant handle the sedentary lifestyles emotionally , as Dex so marvellously pointed out
    test
  14. yayo

yayo Polar Bear LaFlare

Buy l-theanine and take 1.2 grams prefer Suntheanine

Remove
    Caffeine and excess sodium from diet
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  15. yayo

yayo Polar Bear LaFlare

Look into magnesium as well

magnesium glycinate
    Vitamin d
    Rhodiola Rosea
    test
  16. Thomas Huxley

It's anxiety that stops me going to the doctor for help at all.

Drink green tea.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  17. The Steve

Prior to my first attack, I'd probably been to the doc maybe once or twice in 7 years. Ever since, I've been probably 15-20 times.

What really chaps my ass is I don't/can't drink anymore, as I hyper focus on any physiological changes while I drink and anxiety forms. I miss it.
    test
  18. The Steve

Yeah, I had already cut back on my caffeine. I have meant to try l-theanine, though I also have kava on hand. I've just been avoiding supplements altogether really.
    test
  19. Thomas Huxley

I hope you've not been going to the ER.

Have you done much about it (other than go to the doctor)?
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  20. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

sure the fuck was... I just wish it hadnt taken so long. SO many of the things i know now make me sad that i didnt realize them before..... but as the saying goes, no matter how far youve gone down the wrong path, you can always turn back.
    test