Pain question

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Shadow, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

So naturally, i'm in a lot of pain. With this competition starting, i'm trying to figure out ways to suppress the pain so i can put in a lot of work. I don't mean just workout pain, this is pain at the nerve level. Pain medication doesn't help, tried yoga, meditation, etc but nothing seems to help. Doctors don't really know what the deal is but have a idea i'm not too happy with but whatever, i'll power through it. Just thought you beef nuggets had any ideas :)

@J o o k @Sin Skywalker @GaLaTeA
    test
  2. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

1st and foremost, don't go into extremes because you'll be risking your health - or end up injuring yourself which is no bueno.

Tried sports massages?
    test
  3. Geedorah

Geedorah King

What kind of pain and where?
    test
  4. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

The pain can be wide spread but constantly from my waist down.

The pain can be sharp stabbing pains to burning/legs on fire pain. I get numbness in arms and legs and loss of gripping strength. I can be walk and suddenly get the pains of a sprained ankle then moments later, it's just gone. It's very weird.
    test
  5. Geedorah

Geedorah King

I don't know if this is what your husband has, but my father had burning in one leg for months before he went to the doctor and they found out that he had a slipped disc in his back that was pressing on the nerves that ran down to his leg. The slipped disc was what was causing his severe pain. He also could not sleep at night. He ended up getting surgery on his back to fix the disc and take the pressure of the nerves. It relieved him of his pain.

From other forum.
    Did you go to doctor?
    test
  6. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

Went to the doctor and had MRIs, CT scans, sonogram to check for strokes, etc. They thought one thing but just can't prove it but believe it's the most like thing.

The problem is finding a way to overcome the pain and keep motivated.
    test
  7. D_Said.

D_Said. Member

i have a herniated disc in my l4/l5 (lower back)
    what your describing with the shooting pain down the back of your legs are classic disc injury symptoms
    its unlikely that a disc injury would be causing you issues in your arms though
    i still get unexplained pain all the time in my body particularly in my lower back and glutes. ive had MRI's, X-rays, just about everything you can think of and they cant figure out whats wrong .. so i understand the frustration of the unknown.
    there was a period of time i even hoped they would find something horrible cus at least id know what the fuck is going on ... but still no luck and its been a few years now
    sorry to hear youre in pain man, having to adjust to this has been life changing .. i wouldnt wish it on anyone
    all that said i would be very careful w/ what you decide to do until you get an accurate diagnosis .. putting on some quick muscle is not worth accelerating a chronic condition or seriously injuring yourself .. you gotta weigh your priorities when you have injuries .. letting your body heal is almost always the best option
    you dont wanna be benching a few hundred pounds and your grip strength goes and you drop it on your face .... health should be your #1 .. as hard as that is sometimes
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  8. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

I appreciate your words. I know exactly what you mean. I don't plan on going hardcore but i want to do something but i will only do as much as my body will allow me. I can't afford to push past anything.
    test
  9. D_Said.

D_Said. Member

haha, thats the spirit
    i didnt mean to swarm you with motherly concern
    i just jumped into things too soon when i wasnt ready and set myself back .. just lookin out to prevent a similar mistake
    its so easy to turn a 6 week injury into a 2 year injury just by taking on more than your body is ready for
    just find safe alternatives .. do alot of cables instead of free weights. you just need to adjust your workouts so theyre safe. i never row without the chest support for example now ... just work slow w/ a therapist .. slow and steady is the key to reintegrating yourself in the gym
    i went down to about 150 at my injury and now im about 180 .. but it was a sloooow loooong road and i still cant do alot of things, but its better than doing nothing .. and when you start hitting goals despite your injury you will feel like gold. just play it safe homie
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  10. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

I can't even link mine to an injury. I wish i could. The doctors think i'm going the MS path :-/.
    test
  11. Sin Skywalker

Sin Skywalker #184 Gladiator.

I'd get a Dr's evaluation and not only that but get some advice from a Dr. I know you're in the competition and working out now but ask your Dr. what is reasonable for you to do.

Also, try and make sure your diet is on point. Do you take multi-vitamins and / or supplements? If not I would suggest multi-vitamins for sure for starters. I take Men's Health One A Day Pro Edge personally.

@Shadow
    test
  12. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

Thank Sin, I use to take them but stopped.
    Doctors don't really know how to answer the question since they don't know the cause. currently i'm taking a, try it and see what happens, method.
    test
  13. D_Said.

D_Said. Member

i sincerely hope you dont have MS. My uncle got diagnosed with it about 6-7 years ago, hes still able to live a relatively normal life though .. his leg seems to be the most effected.. i dont ask him about it too much though

if you do find out that you have some kind of disc problem feel free to hit me up in a PM .. ive had the unfortunate experience of learning firsthand the many do's/donts that will make your life easier
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  14. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

My father was diagnosed with MS so i worry about it. Not something I want to get but I don't plan on letting it stop me.
    test