overlooked aspect of car performance...

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by Offbeat, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

tires

currently i'm in capable of flooring it in 1st gear... i still skip at 5,000 RPMs.. and i let it catch and go then gun it, slippage...

sugguestions?
    test
  2. De'yon

De'yon Hustle Payper On the Beat

try a tire with alot of flat area ......one that looks more like a racing slik with grooves in it ................

I havent had many slipage problems but Ive not that z rated stick alot better..........

wish I could help more but.....I Know more about big engines and electrical than sticky tires
    test
  3. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

what kind of tires do you have...are they stock...and don't you have a honda civic.

Now is your problem wheel hop? and not really tires. Cause unless you are putting down some power, I don't see how your tires are breaking loose.

And how you describe it...you break loose in 1st...then in 2nd???????????

If it is tires...do you break free in the summer time? How many miles are on your current tires? I think this might be wheel hop more than tires, if so you need engine mounts.
    test
  4. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

^ Yes my man, I looked into it. Engine mounts are the key. And NO I don't have a Civic, I have a Mitsubishi 3000GT... serious power there.

Well, I cannot gun it in 1st gear, but once I hit second, I can put the petal to the metal without a problem
    test
  5. Kraylen

Kraylen Killer Instinct Champion.

^not in an SL... *giggles like a schoolgirl*
    test
  6. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

^ actually it's the base

and i got an exhaust on it

say hello to 230+ HP pulling on a car with 3100 pounds if i got a full tank
    test
  7. Tigre

Come on..with you in the car it has to weight about 3330, cause the base car weights about 3150 stock? Like from 1990 up ....

But anyway... 230hp to the crank on a RWD at say about 3200lbs. That is like a high 14 sec car. YEah you need the TT conversion. But how much will that net you like 400crank. So then you will be a 12 sec car.
    test
  8. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

Well the offical statistics are 3194 pounds with a FULL TANK OF GAS. And my gas tank holds 19 gallons. With the 1/4 tank I'm usually pushin I'de say conservatively it's 3100 with me in it. I would never race with a full tank unless I was sure I could pull at least 3 cars on the guy. My car is a FWD by the way... But yeah, I'm doing more than the TT conversion - a wet shot of nitrous as well, that way I can make over 300 to the wheels with just bolt on goodies
    test
  9. DontH8me

DontH8me New Member

FWD. How do you think your car is going to be a 11 sec car like you said in another thread.

Traction is always going to suck for you. Then 300 to the wheels is still only getting you low 13s now and high 12's.

I always thought that car was like 3500lbs or so.
    test
  10. Tigre

Interesting... FWD, always thought RWD. So now traction will be an issue. And with that additional power, how will your tranny do. You are going to need a lsd as well as lightweight flywheel, big brake upgrade, and FMIC, blah blah... I don't think it is worth doing... FWD car like that is going to be like my cousins GTI w/Stage 3 turbo kit. With him pushing 300 to the wheels on race gas and car weighting in at about 3000 with him in it, gives him shots at about 12.8 quarter mile times. You are going to spend some nice money on this car. Well good luck, hopefully all works out well for you
    test
  11. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

^ the fastest Mitsu 3000GT FWD has done 11's... I know alot of people with TT FWDs @ 3si.org and they all claim to do 12s, 13s with ease
    test
  12. Tigre

Yeah like i said high 12's and low 13s....makes sense with 300 to the ground on a FWD of that weight.

But i barely see fast 3000gt's....even VR4s that were modified putting down like about 480hp never impressed me. I guess they are just so fucking heavy it just seemed slow and blahhhh.
    test
  13. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

^ Everyone things the 3000GT is a fat pig. A Vr4 is a 14 second car STOCK. Weather or not people can drive it to be 14's is debatable. It all depends on what the 3000GT is going against.

Your GTI may very well hand a VR4 20 cars, but then again, there's a 3 second difference, that is even with the fastest vr4 stock time ever - a 14.1.

I like the 3000GT because it's fast, well supported in the aftermarkert, and looks GREAT while doing it.

But, still - WRX's, Evo's, SRT-4s, GTIs, etc are going to annoy me - but when I'm done with my work, my shit will very well be pretty much unfuckwitable. Not to mention I can already hand it to 90% of the cars/drivers around here that actually streetrace.
    test
  14. Tigre

yeah the VR4 is a pig...even they say it is a pig... modified, they are ok, but don't sleep on one from a stop...

And oh no i wasn't comparing to my GTI, i mean that isn't fair since it is a performance built car. And I hear what you are saying... but 14's don't impress me you know... for a TT car. I meant when i had my supra I was raping them left and right. But then again that was expected as well.

But you are getting sick of Evo's and STi's....damn. I guess I don't see them all the time to get sick of them. Srt4's same not many since a limited edition.

But trust me, after you TT and nitrous you will be easily a 12 sec car right.

Now look at this... with the stage 3 kit coming out for SRT4's that will cost about 3g's and with slicks a 11 sec car. So easily a high11 or low 12 sec street car. And the evo has a ATP stage 3 kit that is a complete bolt on kit...which is about $2500 that will put 400 hp to the wheels 500 to the crank. And a add on to the kit is a GT35R drop in turbo that with the add on with like a standalone system is going to be a 600hp car.

These cars are getting sick and the aftermarket is finally showing signs. These cars with little money will be 11 sec cars... I mean shit they are relatively cheap kits that gain big numbers and great results.
    test
  15. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

The people who think the 3000GT is a pig, also think it's weight makes it an 18 second car. I have a friend with an unmodified base Talon who had the gall to tell me "I might be faster than him" and a friend with a Civic (modified, but still a Civic) who said he could be at my bumper. C'mon, his Civic is a 19 second car - and the Talon is probably around the same. I can do low 16's, high 15's as is NOW (exhaust). On 3/s International, people always talk about some kid in his Celica GTS or a v6 Tiburon challange them saying they could kill them. Of course, the Toyota and Hyundai get murdered in the end. Some idiot also said his GSX could beat a VR4. Idiotic. I think people have misconceptions about the 3000GT because you don't see them too often, to be expected with a car that was discontinued in the states. A 14 second TT may not be too impressive for a TT, but it is impressive as far as a car in general goes. How fast is a Supra TT stock? The general racer has to do alot to his car to make it 14, and I mean ALOT. So if you can do 14s, you're pretty much set.

I don't really mind losing, but when I'm done - I don't see alot of cars that could hand it to me on the street. I don't see too many STis, SRT-4s, and Evo's anyway...
    test
  16. Tigre

I didnt say your car was a pig I said the VR4 was. And it is, because it is about 3700+ lbs. YEah 14 sec car stock is impressive. I am not saying it isn't .... But that is the same times as like old s4's, srt4s, 01 and up GT's, lt1's, shit like that...and all with the right drivers can hit 13s stock.

Now for a GSX to beat a VR4 stock... all he needs to do is adjust the wastegate, or even get a boost controller...and he can run all day with a VR4. Cause DSM's like 1st gens can run mid 14's stock.

Stock Supras run low 13s stock....

And I will disagree with the 14 sec statement. Saying you have to do alot. I mean most imports in the range of 20g's now run that stock. Your car stock is in the same league as GTI's, RSX-S, GS-R, Type-R new v6 accords, WRX, etc., and to tell you the truth all stock can beat a base 3000gt. But like i said i do like your idea for your project car...hopefully all of it works out.
    test
  17. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

The VR4 does 14's, and that will make alot of V8 owners nervous. It's a 6 cylander car, granted, faster than average - but if it takes down a big boy, Mustang, Firebird, etc, it's impressive. I think the VR4 is more impressive than the aformentioned cars because it a) costs less, b) looks better (IMO), and c) is Japanese (I like Jap cars, the american cars I like are old muscle).

The thing is, a GSX can beat a VR4 if modded, but alot of the time people with fast cars are humble - and slower people talk shit. I HATE THAT! So when people with AWD drive cars think they are god's gift to racing simply cuz they can launch at 5500 RPM - I want to show them how a big engine can make up for that. I've seen an 93 Supra kill a VR4, not because of launch, but because the guy with the Supra put time/money into his car and by the time the VR4 hit 3rd, the Supra blew by him.

Putting my car in the class of those other vehicles is fine, but honestly, telling me stock vs. stock a V6 Accord or RSX-S can take me - is a little insulting. Both cars are great, but I can drive my car, and it feels very strong. The thing I look it, a little bit more than the car - is who races. The old guy in the automatic Porsche or Corvette most likely isn't going to wanna run with a punk kid with his rice rocket. The people in my area race with Civics, Accords, Maximas, Eclipses, Talons, Preludes... You can spot the 2 or 3 people with their 3000GT, Supra, GTI, etc... Right now, I can hand it to most of the people who like racing. When I'm done, just about all - and if I get 12s, even on the track it should be competition for most people.
    test
  18. Tigre

I know you know alot about the 3gt.. I do as well, correction well at least the VR4. That was one of in my league when i had my supras. And I don't care how you slice it, a stock Supra TT will walk a stock VR4 allllllllllllllllll day long. Unless the guy in the supra can't drive.. period. I dont care if the Supra was auto or 6spd, and matter of fact the Auto is even better on the track. Sooo that example of the 93 wasn't surprising at all... Stock for stock the Vr4 will get served if the driver skill is equal.

Now for me to say the RSX-S, GTI and new V6 accord is faster than you car... PLZ don't be offended... just know its the truth. I mean all these cars run high 14s stock and low 15's. And the new v6 accord 6spd is a mid 14 sec car. That car will beat your car convincingly. Its just the truth, anyone that can launch any of those cars should take you. And your car isn't stock either.. so if i put an intake on the RSX's or an exhaust on an Accord, you are really not going to win. These cars maybe rice rockets or whatever, but they will show your car a thing or two. You car may feeeeel strong about your ride but the RSX-S is just a faster car. Less tq yeah i know, but when your car starts dieing high in the rpm band, that car starts to come alive. Soo even on a roll the car should win.

I am not trying to talk shit or what not...I am just stating a fact. Really bottom line is about the driver. I am not trying to say there is no way you can beat a RSX-S but if equal talent, The car becomes the underlining factor and the RSX should win as well as the others I mentioned.

I am sure you can beat plenty of ppl around your way. But how many times have you been at the track? Thats the best experience and a real look about how cars really run around your way. And by the way what does your car run at the track?
    test
  19. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

I did some research on the V6 Accord for 2003. Yes, it has 240 HP. But I would say conservatively I have 230 HP. I'm also about 100 pounds lighter. (200 lighter than the sedan). I see that one as a toss up. As for the RSX-S, I have about 30 HP more, and more torque - even now. The GTI is roughly about 100 pounds less than the RSX-S but about 20 HP less. I think I could take it.

I've NEVER been to the track. Correction, I've never RACED at the track. Which is why I think I'de get murdered at it. I see 16.8 Camaros get laughed at... and 16.8 all engine is pretty fast IMO. If I took it to the track, I'de maybe get high 15's. Beat a few cars, but I'de get served early and often.

The thing is, my car is from 1994. It's a 10 year old car, but STILL fast even in todays standards and the body styling is still relevant.

I'm trying to make it faster, and granted, there's going to be people who are going to be faster. But with just a few simple improvements I can be definitively faster than those V6 Accords, RSX-S, GTIs.
    test
  20. Tigre

Gotcha... you did your research which is great, not many do here. Take this into consideration as well. It is fact that the 6spd accord behind the hands of an avg driver should pull a nice 14.8 and in good drivers 14.4 and so forth. Also do you have a catback exhaust or what?

Avg times are...
    RSX-S runs 14.8-15.1...weights less than a GTI like 2680 or something..
    GTI 1.8t runs about the same and weights 2932lbs..trust I know all about VW's
    The VR6 runs a little better 14.7-14.9 avg. This is about 3000lbs

Your weight distribution is off... so with a 500+ lb advantage to a RSX-S
    And a 200+ advantage to a GTI.... these are tougher competition than you think.

Now know this... since the 1.8t is FI... you have to take into consideration where there peak power is... of course it is about 3200 to 4000 rpm. The turbo pulls hard and tampers off.
    RSX is light at the take off, and makes power at the end because of course to VTEC. Also with the advantage the RSX has in hp, the GTI makes up in Torque. So you are missing variables in your comparison.

Your toss up will only come when you are racing these two cars. The accord is no toss up for you. And again you are not stock. SOOO like i said add a exhaust to the accord and you are talking loooooow 14's and mid 14s are being had with a intake for RSX-S.

And also, answer me this if you can.. cause i am not familiar with base 3000GT's... what is the best 1/4 mile time with the stock engine... Meaning like all your bolt ons and no add on of either SC, turbo, or nitrous?

Cause with the RSX-S it is about 13.6 i think
    And with a GTI it is 13.2...
    V6 accords already have quite a few running 13s... all depends on how far someone wants to go.

So if you take that into consideration, you will also know ifyou can hang with these cars when you get simple bolt ons or not.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.