OT: Toronto Stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by JanakanS, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hewannabejigga

hewannabejigga New Member

It started in the Bronx because a certain Jamaican immigrant was allowed to keep and practice his culture (Dancehall) which evolved into hip hop.And hip hop made its way to Canada via the Caribbean immigrant population who were listening to it not because you as a white kid from suburbia seem to think you share the same culture as Urban America.

The cultures of New York and and most major cities around the world evolve over time because they adapt and keep certain aspects of its immigrants' cultures.

And finally I think its hypocritical that you condemn immigrants for keeping their culture when you in turn and the majority of Canada are heavily influenced by 2 other nations (UK not so much anymore, and the US).
    test
  2. MistaConspiracy

MistaConspiracy magical and natural

It evolved into hip hop due to the circumstances of the Bronx at the time. It could not have happened anywhere else.

You live in Rexdale, right? That's suburbia. Don't diss me for where I grew up when you're in the same boat.

Wrong. You reach a certain point where that city develops its own distinct culture. When you have all these ethnic groups try to continue practicing their culture, they end up ghettoizing and isolating themselves from the dominant culture at large. Their children have trouble fitting into society as a result. When most of your city's residents are living like that, then that distinct culture is lost.

Aboriginals, Black Canadians, the British and French have all played a part in shaping Canada into what it is.

All other immigrant groups got here too late to have any impact on shaping Canada as a nation because we've developed our own culture that everyone assimilates into. I hear it all the time that "we're a nation of immigrants". Um. Excuse me, but I was born here and have lived here all my life. If we're a nation of immigrants then so are 99.99% of all countries that ever existed.
    test
  3. dmac0850

dmac0850 New Member

This is so incorrect i don't know where to begin. The education system has failed you.
    test
  4. MistaConspiracy

I don't rely on the so-called "education" system for my knowledge.
    test
  5. JanakanS

JanakanS FourOneSix

Why is this thread still alive? lol
    test
  6. dmac0850

dmac0850 New Member

clearly
    test
  7. hewannabejigga

So you dont know DJ Kool Herc is? Pointing out that I live in Rexdale still does not take away from my original statement. And are you saying that the Irish, Italian, German, and Latino immigrants didnt help shape modern North American culture? And finally Toronto Hip Hop itself is largely influenced by Jamaican culture just as much American.
    test
  8. Pill Clinton

Pill Clinton Unregistered Drug User

this..is wat always thought of toronto and any other candian city ... i thought it was all white ect ect

i met some cool candian dudes when i was in cancun n they started tellin me hwo they get this great weed n awesome shrooms though... so since then id like to get up there

but yeah i def couldnt picture a ghetto in canada... but only cause i never been there... i couldnt picture a thugged out englishmen neither ya ..

but i never really been out of phily..cept for spring break .. and when i was a lil kid in florida... so i picture every where else by the sterotypes
    test
  9. MistaConspiracy

Ok so if you listen to Hip hop you're trying to be Jamaican.
    test
  10. hewannabejigga

...with that I am done with this thread.
    test
  11. Raw_Blow

Raw_Blow Addiction in the Flesh

dude you're getting waaaay out of pocket here, coming from someone who's actually lived in this city his whole life, not brampton or missisissauga or pickering, actually toronto, jane and lawrence, finch and vic park, apache trail, morecamby, vp and ellesemere, keele and eglinton, etc etc the city is multi-cultural but that doesn't mean we're going to bring a muslim into this country and let him marry 50 women and collect welfare for each one, we respect people of culture which is why we let them into this country to begin with and pay for their school, give them free health care, etc etc BUT, and this is a huge BUT, we're not going to let people do shit that's out of our comfort zone as a society/country as we have our own laws to abide by and saying you can come into this country and be gay and marry another person of same sex and give them their own community(church and wellesely), along with little india, chinatown, the wops own woodbridge, etc that says ALOT about what we're willing to do for the people of other culture here, but why should we let them come in and bend laws just to tend to them? I think you're taking that a little too far son.
    test
  12. Breeaker

Breeaker New Member

So your contention is that the immense level of immigration to Canada from countries spanning the globe over the last 60 years hasn't had any effect on Canadian culture? That somehow, Canada has remained the exact same in spite of it, and every second generation Canadian has been entirely assimilated?

Someone fire up the Delorean and take this clown back to 1955.

You're actually going to include Native Canadians, the most marginalized group of people in Canadian society on your list of influential groups?

It's entirely ridiculous that I'm even engaging in debate with you about this. Had you raised any relevant arguments, I'd be able to do a lot more than just question your entirely misinformed, contrived claims.

You're confusing "knowledge" with "inane ramblings".
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.