OT: Toronto Stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by JanakanS, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haatley

haatley Well-Known Member

scarborough isn't as ghetto as rexdale and jane and finch. a lot more asians and tamils in the east end, whereas rexdale/jane and finch, st clair and oakwood in the west end are jamaican dominated ghettos.

brampton and sauga are not part of toronto. just the suburbs that people start to act ghetto in to fit in.

bramladesh
    sauga
    scarlem/scarberia
    rex
    the jungle
    regent
    test
  2. SMEEGLE

SMEEGLE Active Member

I've never met anyone I liked from browntown
    test
  3. MistaConspiracy

MistaConspiracy magical and natural

Mississauga = Sauga City

As for stereotypes, Toronto simultaneously has a reputation for being a boring city (especially compared to Montreal) populated by white people, and for being "multicultural". What really happens is that, like any major city, Toronto is a destination for immigrants from all over, and while the first generation tries to hold onto the culture of their former country, their children will assimilate into Canadian culture. Apparently it's a lot easier for white people to do that, which speaks to the underlying racism of "multiculturalism", which is often used synonymously with "racial diversity". It implies that people of colour can never be fully Canadian.

So upon closer examination, Toronto is populated by white people who try so very hard not to be racist, and in the process reveal their blatant racism. They are a boring city that doesn't take pride in their culture, and would rather have it usurped by something else. A city struggling to find an identity.

Also, people that live downtown are generally seen as yuppies, hipsters, or gay people.

Malton is the shithole of the GTA. It is an isolated neighbourhood in Mississauga that is separated from the rest of the city by the Airport and vast tracts of industrial land. It is also bordered by Brampton and Northwest Toronto (Rexdale). It has the highest crime rates in Peel. Expect it to become the centre of gang and drug activity in the GTA for the next few decades.
    test
  4. JanakanS

JanakanS FourOneSix

^^^Droppin knowledge haha, but damn this thread is an utter fail, not what I was looking for at all but that was due to my wording in the original post. l o l o l o l
    test
  5. haatley

that's the worst description of toronto i've ever heard. written by a kid who has spent his entire life in the suburbs trying to find a way to fit in with the identity the city has taken.

toronto is a very multi cultural city. not a city full of white people who try not to be racist. about 49% of the gta are immigrants. i, myself, grew up in an area where i was the only white guy in my class until i got to high school.

rexdale has been the drug and gang capital of the city for the last 10 years already. expect much of the same over the next decade.
    test
  6. JanakanS

JanakanS FourOneSix

*gives up on thread*
    test
  7. haatley

what was it exactly you were looking for. sorry to run off topic. try wording it better. i just followed trend with the thread
    test
  8. JanakanS

JanakanS FourOneSix

lmao it was for a shirt design, I should have said positive stereotypes or something, i needed something like fort apparels four one six shirt (if you know what I'm talking about) to rep Toronto with. Thread got off topic awhile ago so it's all good
    test
  9. MistaConspiracy

I've been to school in both Mississauga and Toronto, and it wasn't unusual for me to be the only white person, or one of few white people in my class.

Thanks for proving my point. You think racial diversity is synonymous with multiculturalism, and THAT is racist.

I was actually talking about Malton.
    test
  10. hewannabejigga

hewannabejigga New Member

Im from Rexdale. I always thought Scarbrough was worse than Rexdale but then I know people from Scarbrough tell me they hear Rexdale is worse. Funny how that works.
    test
  11. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

I wonder how many americans think toronto is like a decent size city with a bunch of white people and hockey fans and polar bears running around...lol

not gonna like after reading some of wiki it looks like my whole perception of t-dot was totally off.
    Looks like ya'll got a lot of asians up there
    test
  12. Breeaker

Breeaker New Member

First year Sociology major? Save this kind garbage for the TA's who have volunteered to listen to you attempt to sound like you know what you're talking about.

Toronto is a racially diverse city, and yes, it is also a multicultural city. Hard to have one without the other. If you need proof of said multiculturalism, take a look at how many non-Caribbean people attend Caribana. Or how many Indian, South Asian and Caribbean restaurants there are outside of Indian, South Asian or Caribbean-dominated neighborhoods.

I know that it's cool for young, white kids to act as though they've reached a greater understanding regarding the plight of others. Stop trying in this instance. You saying "Toronto is a racially diverse city full of racist white people" carries as much weight as me saying "Every girl in Toronto will fuck you if you buy her a Molson Canadian". Each one is a baseless claim made without enough evidence to apply it to an entire group of people, regardless of isolated incidents.

Now, shut up and go back to tracking battle records.
    test
  13. MistaConspiracy

So if you buy frozen perogies at Food Basics, are you practicing Polish culture? What about if you order Chinese or Indian food? Fuck outta here. Can you tell me how we are multicultural when we don't allow cock-fighting? It's very important to Latin American culture, and it's illegal here. All this "multiculturalism" talk is just pandering to immigrants. Hey, who wouldn't want to move to a country without having to assimilate? By the way, we have the same assimilation rates as the United States, a supposed "melting pot". The only difference is that the US has a much stronger identity. Whereas in Toronto you often hear "Just what is Canadian culture?" because we are not taught to appreciate it.

If you actually think about it, and stop drinking the Kool Aid, that's exactly what it is. Let's say you're a brown person who's third generation Canadian and is completely assimilated. None of that matters, because you're expected to act a certain way by white people who like to think we're "multicultural".

Keep in mind, also, that we're talking about stereotypes in this thread. Toronto simultaneously has all these different stereotypes going for it. One of them is that we are "multicultural". It's a stereotype and nothing more, and I've debunked it.
    test
  14. jDubbs416

jDubbs416 New Member

Toronto is widely known as one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world. We don't allow cock fighting because its retarded. Although I'm sure plenty of that shit still goes down anyways..

Toronto also has the most dense night club district in the world, we have six professional sports teams, tons of shopping malls, plenty of beaches, and an amazing theme park. Not to mention our women are ohh so fine. To say its a boring city is flat out stupid.

Toronto's only flaws are it's harsh winters and high taxes..

...and mista conspiracy.
    test
  15. MistaConspiracy

I just love the hypocrisy that goes with making a statement like that. If you think cockfighting is retarded, then said culture that accepts it must also be retarded. But yet, we're supposedly "multicultural" and we accommodate other cultures.
    test
  16. Kurrection

Kurrection AKA Tooz Da Gawd

In 2006, Toronto is made up of 47% visible minorities. The number will increase in 2011 when the census is done. The only city in Canada that is close to this is Vancouver and they aren't even close to the total population of Toronto.

You should travel to some other provinces if you think that Toronto is all white people.
    test
  17. hewannabejigga

hewannabejigga New Member

You are an idiot. I dont agree with some things in the American culture which I think is 'retarded' it doesnt make the culture as a whole retarded.
    test
  18. TheOmega

TheOmega Well-Known Member

I heard y'all got mad Puerto ricans Up In T-dot. Like them Niggas was swimming to NY heard the Gunshots and kept going.
    test
  19. MistaConspiracy

Oh, I get it. We're supposed to pick and choose only certain aspects of a culture we wish to have represented. Never mind that it leads to ignorance and stereotypes. The important thing is that we fill our quota for pretending to be culturally aware.
    test
  20. CamTheWiz

CamTheWiz in real time

out west toronto hiphop often gets the rap of being new york dickriders.

i blame videoFACT and the huge amount of wack shit given grants in the early part of last decade mostly.

there are biters in every city.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.