OT - Nas is the GOAT

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by chrishansen, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacozy

teacozy New Member

Bolded for ridiculousness.

Stillmatic was not good. It just gets hyped because of it's title and the context in which it was released. God's Son is not really good, either. You can piecemeal a good album from everything he released after '96 and make a solid compilation, but nothing he's released has been worth listening to the whole way through. And "Lost Tapes" is not a good record. People treat it like some saving grace in defense of Nas' output when it's a B-SIDES COMPILATION with a few cool tracks on it.
    test
  2. teacozy

teacozy New Member

None of those records are great. You just like them. If you listen to enough rap and/or other genres you can tell a well-made consistent album from filler-laden trash, and Nas has got that in spades.

Shit, even for a direct comparison, Nas has almost as many albums as Jay now. And only two of those shits are worth listening to. Out of 11 records, how many shit ones have Jay released? Three. Vol.3, BP2 and Kingdom Come. I'd say there's no "shitting on Jay's discography" going on.

Next you're going to try and convince us that Nas has a better ear for beats than Ghostface.
    test
  3. teacozy

teacozy New Member

If you're arguing for impact in the culture and not consistency, longevity or albums, then maybe after Pac and KRS. Rakim only put out one good album and then proceeded to fall the fuck off by the time "Know the Ledge" was out. It's just a lot of people don't talk about that because they view it as disrespectful.
    test
  4. Tiger Ty Fan

Tiger Ty Fan Tiger Circle Blackbelt

In 2010, Nas is a one of the best to ever pick up a mic. Jay-Z is a hip-hop business, man. Jay-Z has clearly surpassed Nas as far as making moves and shit.

But honestly, I don't EVER expect Nas to make club songs or so when his shit isn't top 10 in the pop charts that doesn't matter to me. I might be pigeonholing Nas and Jigga but when I think of Nas' music I think of more introspective/observational pro-black, street oriented, NY hip-hop shit (NY State of Mind, We Will Survive, Black Zombies, Made You Look, If I Ruled the World). As for Jigga, he's all over the place so I expect a club banger (Big Pimping), a deep song (Meet the Parents), a flossing song (Money Ain't A Thing), and NY shit (Empire State of Mind), etc.

Both have made similar songs, but Nas will always be known as a deeper rapper while Jigga will be known as a hustler slash rapper. It ain't fair nor 100% accurate but just an opinion.

Stillmatic, I Am and God's Son are also enjoyable Nas albums!!! But I can't lie, I didn't fuck with NY rap back when 36 Chambers, Reasonable Doubt, Illmatic or even Ready to Die came out. West Coast rap and Death Row though!!

However, Big Poppa was THEEEEE goddamn shit!
    test
  5. TWAMP$iN

TWAMP$iN proper weaponry

yaw

i'm good.

but i'm sayin', Stillmatic on the same level as Illmatic. fuck the dumb shit.
    test
  6. Jammin' Jobus

Jammin' Jobus S A D B O Y S

Nas second verse on the message is one of my top 10 verses of all time

actually both those verses are ridiculous

Dipped attache, jumped out the Range, empty out the ashtray
    A glass of 'ze make a man Cassius Clay

The highlights of livin, Vegas style roll dice in linen
    Antera spinnin on Milleniums, twenty G bets I'm winnin them
    Threats I'm sendin them, Lex with TV sets the minimum
    Ill sex adrenaline
    Party with villians, a case of Demi-Sec to chase the Henny
    Wet any clique, with the semi-tech who want it

I peeped you frontin, I was in the Jeep
    Sunk in the seat, tinted with heat, beats bumpin
    Across the street you was wildin
    Talkin bout how you ran the Island in eighty-nine
    Layin up, playin the yard with crazy shine
    I cocked a baby 9 that nigga gravy mine, clanked him
    What was he thinkin on my corner when it's pay me time

Nas is too ill.
    test
  7. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

GOAT artists, don't make purely "enjoyable" or "ok" albums. If you consistently make mediocre albums then you ARE mediocre. End of story. I don't know why so many people give dude a pass.
    test
  8. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

this..

ayo i peeped you frontin'...i was in jeep sunk in the seat tinted with heat beats bumpin //

yeah...
    test
  9. Static Legacy

Static Legacy 3 times of a lotta shit

big pun baby!!!!!!!!!!!
    test
  10. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

Ok I'm gonna get serious about this discussion now.

I'm seeing a lot of BS about Nas's catalog being wack, when I'm pretty sure people are just spouting their opinions. From a critical and overall view standpoint, Nas's discography has been ahead of Jay's four the last ten years about. Case in point:

Metacritic:
    Nas Profile at Metacritic.com
    Jay-Z Profile at Metacritic.com

Nas has clearly been ahead of Jay overall since after stillmatic (and if you wanna bring in stillmatic's random low ass score his career average is still higher :funny:).

If you look at amazon, Nas is blowing Jay out of the water. Distant Relatives has an average of five stars with 117 reviews, HHID = 4 1/2, Untitled 4 1/2, God's Son 4 1/2, Street's Disciple 4 1/2. Mean while Jay has 4 stars for TBA, BP3 and American Gangsta, and 3 1/2 for Kingdom Com, and BP2.

And if we look at their career pre-2000 it's even further of a gap. Jay said Nas had one hot album every ten years when he was trying to rhyme like the Fu-Schnickens back in the early early 90's and he never had one album even touching Illmatic. Personally I think Reasonable Doubt is fairly overrated, an album that only became hyped after Jay blew up so it could be his "Illmatic" or dope album. Doe or Die, Soul on Ice, Ironman, Liquid Swords, OB4CL, Enta Da Stage >>> RD IN MY OPINION.

Nas was a fucking child prodigy. Have people forgotten he was like was like 16, 17 when he dropped that verse on "Live at the BBQ"? His verses on "Half Time" and 'Back to the Grill'. The guy was more talented as a rapper than Jay ever could be back when he wasn't even 18. :funny: Jay is the better businessman and better at making hits/entering the mainstream but he was and never will be the better emcee.

And I won't even get into all the biting and "I dumb down my records to double my dollars"
    test
  11. Jammin' Jobus

meh i dunno Nas catalogue has too much dope shit for me to ignore.

jay-z has made tons of mediocre music (everything after black album)

eminem has made tons of mediocre music (everything after eminem show)

pun made yeahhhh baby.

like i dunno there isnt really very many dope famous rappers that are actually consistent consistent.

i know Nas has poor beat selection and has made his fair share of boring music but i cannot think of a better candidate for GOAT
    test
  12. teacozy

teacozy New Member

Ghostface, De La Soul, UGK, Scarface.
    test
  13. teacozy

teacozy New Member

Dude. Metacritic? D-Lor can probably explain why better than I can but that site is meaningless unless you're buying video games. You can't argue subjective assessments with a site that simply compiles subjective assessments. Real talk, I was a blogger for two years and could've easily turned that into a professional rap criticism job since the entry level for that sort of thing is really low due to a lack of quality rap journalism. Which would mean that my assessment of Nas' catalogue would be factored and weighted just as equally as the various small-to-large sites Metacritic aggregates. Therefore, if you don't agree with anyone's assessment in this thread, why agree with Metacritic? There's literally no difference, except a status of faux-professionalism.

And Amazon reviews are completely meaningless. First of all, they're mostly product reviews, not ART reviews. A large majority of Amazon reviews for CD's and films are talking about the sound quality, the packaging, the difference between reissues and various other editions of albums and etc. Plus, again, they're written by norms, i.e. how is it any different than the opinion here? Worst of all, the opinion of a group of hip-hop fans (i.e. us) is usually far better than that of mainstream audiences. Case in point, most Amazon and iTunes album reviews are written by 'tards.

Do or Die is overrated today because it was so underrated when it came out. People act like it's the Dead Sea Scrolls and not an average mid-90's rap record by an above-average rapper. And Dah Shinin and Nocturnal> Enta Da Stage. Enta Da Stage was never that great.
    test
  14. Ethernet

Ethernet G.O.A.T.

Yeah, if you don't mention Scarface as one of the GOATs.. Your opinions are invalid.

[Youtube]YWseCG0J2EU[/Youtube]
    test
  15. Static Legacy

Static Legacy 3 times of a lotta shit

Andre 3k baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    test
  16. TheProle

TheProle Pls go, Milhouse.

[​IMG]
    test
  17. Jammin' Jobus

LOL at any of these people being GOAT potential.

common man.
    be serious.
    test
  18. TWAMP$iN

TWAMP$iN proper weaponry

this man knows what he's talkin' about.
    test
  19. illmatiK23

illmatiK23 .gif game proper

Your opinion makes me lol.
    test
  20. BAdams421