OT - Nas is the GOAT

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by chrishansen, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

lol I was 10 years old homie. the spice girls were comin out
    test
  2. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

so youre basically saying just because he got nominated and won more awards than nas that jay-z cant be better than nas? well what does it mean that nas still got nominated for tons of those. these guys are playing on the same playing field, nobody gives a fuck that nas was better than jay z at 19

hey you know who is better than Nas?

[youtube]h4UqMyldS7Q[/youtube]
    test
  3. Jep 7:30

Jep 7:30 New Member

you hadent listen to ANY hiphop at all?

I mean.... not even the Fresh Prince?!

by that age i'm pretty sure me and my brother had our bone Thugs tape and had been mastering songs from the radio of our mom's car from youuuuuung

I mean its not a contest or anything but wow

yeah I was def. already familiar with hophop by the time the spicegirls were out

I actually didn't get in to Nas untill high school but that doesnt mean I didn't understand his impact and the greatness of Illmatic when I heard it

but then again i had a taste for the sort of stuff
    test
  4. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

The first time i heard illmatic i wasnt really a fan of hip hop. I never even knew illmatic was so legendary and all that crap, but i gave it a shot and from the first listen i just KNEW it had a special place in hip hop history!!!!
    test
  5. Jep 7:30

talk about strawman huh?

I stated what i stated

you should prolly reread it

and everyone should find significance in the fact that Nas was already establishing himself as a good artist at a young age and at the same time an older Jayz wasnt even heard of and when he did come out it wasn't as a solo artist.

YOU used that verse as a example of Nas best, I simply stated the fact that he wasnt even legal to drink when he wrote it and prolly wasnt even an adult yet. and that is significant. the kid has a gift and its ok for you to admit that. A gift like that on one greatest of all time levels.

and Cube would most likely admit that he can't hang wit Nas on a lyrical level and that Nas did/does a pretty good job of representing a "rebal to america" mentality that he himself stills tries to reinforce in his own raps to this very day.
    test
  6. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

word word, everyone loved bone thugs...and E-40. That's about it. I didn't listen to much music back then.

I started listening to battles first, then freestyles, then music. I'd guess I was around 16/17. I remember someone left "rap battles" in the google search terms in the computer lab, and me and my friends huddled around the comp laughing at text battles (they were corny then too). Then I found emceebattles.com and started battling at school. When I beat everyone at school, i started going to events. This was like 03 by that time
    test
  7. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

So yes, if someone cleared thier cookies I might be listenin to indie rock or adult contemporary or some shit...ewww
    test
  8. Jep 7:30

exactly! theres a reason that you innately knew that it was something special without actually know its status( for me too). because its one of the best ever! flat the fuck out. no two ways around it.

a young kid singing his plight over music that paints a mood than you can not only see but FEEL

go reseach how the album can about with the producers on it

go download the pre-Illmatic stuff and take in the deepness of what dude was saying

he was actually a golden child
    test
  9. Jep 7:30

hey man you'd prolly be a cool hootie and the blowfish type nigga tho
    test
  10. illmatiK23

illmatiK23 .gif game proper

Nobody argued that Jay-Z has the better overall career in terms of rap but that to me has nothing to do with rapping ability. Jay-Z came into the game with a businessman state of mind. He took the game by storm just based on good decisions for himself and his company. But in terms of actual rapping, I don't even have to argue that Nas is a better lyricist. Jay-Z's new songs are still being heavily played in clubs, on the radio and what not but if you really listen to his new shit, lyrical is way far off from what he was back in the day so for anybody to get on Nas' ass for setting the bar high for his first two albums and not consistently putting out good music is pretty foolish, every rapper puts out bad shit (Nastradamus, Relapse, etc.). In terms of lyrical content, Blueprint 3 was sub par but because of his catchy beats and flow, not all songs turned out to be busts. What I'm getting at is that Nas is a better rapper strictly based off the fact that his lyrics are crafty, clever and well thought out. And for those who say his beats suck....c'mon son. He's got some bad ones but he's got a lot of classics.

That being said, Illmatic >>>>>>
    test
  11. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

Ok we can agree that Rakim is the GOAT right?
    test
  12. TheProle

TheProle Pls go, Milhouse.

Making the case that Jay-Z is lyrically better is impossible. It just can't be done, because HE IS NOT. He does have better beats, has sold more, and has a better flow. But, when I listen hiphop I listen to the lyrics and I don't care if the song can be played in a club, I'll listen to club shit (QP) for that sort of music. Of course Illmatic and It Was Written are 10/10s, but don't take anything away from Nas' later albums. He didn't top Illmatic or IWW, but let's be honest that is EXTREMELY difficult. God's Son and Stillmatic are about 8.5/10s and N**** is an 8/10 for me. That album is insanely slept on.
    test
  13. TenFold

TenFold Planet Rock Nano-Bot

^^idiot..

Nas is a great rapper..but i dont think he even comes close to accomplishing what Jay has accomplished, and he also hasnt done close to what Jay has done for Hip Hop..

im not down with fans judging rappers by their 5 mics in the source material..

be out..

test
  14. drewthetruth

drewthetruth ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

nas is my favorite rapper, he is/was the best imo

most ppl dont get his state of mind therefore they cant comprehend his godliness

then em, then L then pun then jay
    test
  15. drewthetruth

drewthetruth ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

scratch that, joe budden is the best
    test
  16. Slick Ick

Slick Ick New Member

Everyone has their own criteria but when I rate greatest ever I rate highest point a lot more than body of work.

By the way, I think Nas's flow is AMAZING at times. On 'Memory Lane' that bit that starts out with 'wipe the sweat off my dome, spit the phlegm on the streets' is one of my favorite delivered bars ever.

Lastly, am I the only one here who thinks the best rapper ever wasn't Jay, Nas, or Biggie?
    test
  17. Ethernet

Ethernet G.O.A.T.

AZ > Nas

Doe or Die > Illmatic
    test
  18. illmatiK23

illmatiK23 .gif game proper

Pac? Em?
    test
  19. iAMhell

iAMhell New Member

jay has accomplished more during his career, put out more classic albums.

I used to rate nas as goat without any doubt, but in recent yrs I have a little doubt creeping in, so I'm unsure, but he's definitely up there no matter what.

I had the same opinion on illmatic, I didn't know about it's status, heard it and it blew my mind, was so sick, can't think of another album that made that type of impact on me.
    test
  20. teacozy

teacozy New Member

Gibberish was a bad choice of words, but anyone who's graduated high school knows the "knowledge" Nas tries to kick is woefully inaccurate and biased towards afro-centric revisionism. Even Jay called him on that.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.