OT: Magic reiterates what MJ said about Wade Lebron Bosh

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Im808MC, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonderin

Wonderin New Member

They don't lack depth. Outside shooting isn't really their style in the first place. Why shoot outside when you have two giants you can dish the ball to and work your offense through?

Gasol would have had the numbers of a HOF, but the titles would not have been there if he stayed with the Grizz. Plus he'd be part of a small market team and they are always overlooked. It would have been a tough sell, but an HOF bid would have been possible. But never mind the speculation.

You say, Gasol couldn't do it without Kobe, but I don't see any titles on Kobe that didn't have Gasol or Shaq on the team. You severely underestimate the importance of having a skilled big man to make a title run.
    test
  2. Elaquent

Elaquent Gill Breathing

kingofrap99 is killin this thread with nothin but truth.
    test
  3. tyronehouston

tyronehouston Well-Known Member

This. Times 1000
    test
  4. tyronehouston

This times 1000 as well. And Kobe wasn't even the best player on the team for the first 3 championships. People forget he had the most dominant player in the NBA with Shaq who was getting 40 pts and 20 rebs in the Finals.
    test
  5. tyronehouston

People forget. Bird, Magic, MJ lived in major cities where players would want to go. Boston, LA, and Chicago are some of the largest markets in the USA.

Lebron tried getting Chis Bosh to go to Cleveland, but Chris did not want to go there, Lebron realized he would never get that Paul Gasol type player in Cleveland.
    test
  6. kingofrap99

kingofrap99 New Member

The triangle offense NEEDS outside shooting in order to create proper spacing. That is a fact. If I am wrong, then so is Phil Jackson and Tex Winter because they have said that on many occassions. That is the reason Artest kept chucking up open 3's instead of dribbling 2 feet closer for an open 18-20 footer. If Artest keeps passing up outside shots, the triangle offense loses a lot of its effectiveness.

If outside shooting wasn't important, why did the Lakers toss a lot of money at Steve Blake while they let Farmar walk and were willing to let go of Brown? Sorry, I am a die hard Laker fan, but this year's finals was a coin-flip that could have gone either way. If the Lakers lose Game 7, you probably would say that outside shooting is a "weakness" as opposed to outside shooting "isn't really their style".

Also, the Lakers were not deep. Instead, they had a lot of flexibility due to the ability of several of their players to play multiple positions (I.E. Gasol able to slide to the 5 and Artest able to play the 4 in spurts). Line-up flexibility is much different than depth. Farmar and Brown were/are poor fits for the triangle offense because they overdribble and take way too many ill-advised shots. Once again, if they were such a big part of the Laker "depth", why was there little effort to resign them?

I am not underestimating Gasol either. He is excellent. All I am saying, is that he would NEVER GET HOF CONSIDERATION had he stayed on the Grizzlies. You are tearing tendons and ligaments reaching if you are going to argue otherwise. I mean, if a dominant big man like Artis Gilmore can't get in, Gasol definitely wasn't going in with a couple of All-Star appearances and a resume of getting swept in the playoffs.
    test
  7. tyronehouston

You are right. Gasol is not a HOF, however he is the perfect #2 to Kobe being 1 and the Lakers had the best Frontcourt with Gasol, Bynum, and Odom combined. Before the season started, every NBA analyst said the Lakers where the favorite going in this year, they were the defending championships, and they had the most talented team in the NBA. Look back at what they said.

As to Lebron's Team. If Lebron had what Kobe had, do you seriously not think he wouldn't have won a championship. And if Kobe was on Lebron's team in Cleveland do you really think Kobe would have won with that squad.

I remember how disgusted Kobe was when he had Smush Parker and Kwame Brown and he couldn't trust anyone in the Playoffs. He said he wanted a trade, and the Lakers got him Gasol. Now you don't think if the Lakers didn't get Gasol and the Lakers weren't competitve, that Kobe would be in another uniform playing with a competitive Team.

Kevin Garnett was the man in Minnesota, be could never get players to play with him, it wasn't til he went to Boston. Shaq left Orlando to go to LA. I don't see how this will hurt Lebron's legacy at, unless he doesn't do anything and you forget he is the back to back MVP who won 66 games with those scrubs, lol.

Ya'll are crazy if you don't think Lebron won't win more MVP's and have multiple championships and by that time, people will be saying he is one of the greatest.
    test
  8. kingofrap99

kingofrap99 New Member

Tyrone, I think regardless, Lebron will be one of the greatest of all time, but you know how I know this will hurt his legacy?

1. Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan say so.
    2. You yourself brought up the fact that Kobe won his first 3 titles w/ Shaq. If you are going to pull that card against Kobe's legacy, then 15 years from now, Tyrone Houston Jr. will be posting the same shit on Rapmusic.com about how Lebron won his 4 titles w/ Wade and Bosh.

Personally, I was dissapointed because IMO, it wasn't matter of "If", but of "when" Lebron was going to win a title with Cleveland. Him getting his butt kicked in the playoffs was a rite of passage many NBA greats endured, but instead of embracing the challenge, he took the easier way out.

That is his right. I respect it. But, ultimately it will hurt his legacy when compared with the top 10 players of all time.
    test
  9. tyronehouston

Good points. I agree that I thought it was only a matter of time before he won in Cleveland as well. But dude is only 25 and I think legacy talk is too early. If he wins 5 championships and have 5 mvps, by the end of his career do you really think people will think him leaving hurt his legacy. He will go down as a Legend.

And mark my words, I guarantee, he averages a triple double this year. Dude averaged 28 pts, 7 rbs, and 9 assts this year. With Bosh and Wade, he will score less but have more assts and rebs. He wil lbe like at 24 pts 11 rebs and 11 assts
    test
  10. Wonderin

Wonderin New Member

I said outside shooting wasn't their style, I didn't say they didn't need outside shooting. Their length was so superior to almost every team that the lack of outside shooting wasn't as big of a problem. They could bang and wear down almost every team they faced with superior rebounding and second chance points.

Lineup flexibility is another part of depth. The fact that they could move players to different positions and STILL be so much bigger than everyone else is a big advantage. Small ball is much more entertaining to watch but size will typically be the major factor in winning a playoff series.
    test
  11. Wonderin

Wonderin New Member

1. Who cares? Their word is not law of the NBA. Things have changed. If they don't approve, that's their opinion.

2. That doesn't matter either. I don't know of any team thats won it all with only one superstar. It's usually 2 or 3 together that equates to a championship. Now the Heat have 3. People may not like how it came about, but that's their problem. And it's a problem that will drop from memory once they start playing and winning (possibly).

Remember when Kobe was the most hated player in the world? I recently saw a story that involved a survey that says Kobe is the number two favorite now in all of sports. Quite simply, fans are a fickle bunch and will change their minds in an instant if you win. This is just another one of those blow ups that seems bad now, but once the games start people will begin to shut up.
    test
  12. dieversecity

dieversecity Residuals.

Yah. this.
    test
  13. MyPseudonym

MyPseudonym New Member

I'd say it helps Lebron's legacy to win a ring even if he did it like a bitch than never winning a ring in Cleveland. I feel like looking back at all this people won't remember how he won his titles just that he has them.

But, as of right now, Lebron's still a bitch
    test
  14. Tiger Ty Fan

Tiger Ty Fan Tiger Circle Blackbelt

I'm not mad at KG for winning a championship ring in Boston even though his name was synonymous with Minnesota Timberwolves for a long time. Lebron just took KG's advice to heart.

If you're a Lebron fan, then follow Lebron and be happy when he wins a ring. If you're a Cavs fan, then follow the team and be happy when someone else that isn't Lebron leads your team to a championship season.
    test
  15. tyronehouston

Agreed, but Cavs know that Lebron was a once in a lifetime player and they will probably never get a person remotely as good as him ever again.
    test
  16. D.Blacksmith

D.Blacksmith Free

I dunno what yall are talking about but KD35 is getting MVP this year. He has nowhere to go but up on capitalizing on such a great season. And his stock went up heavy after the playoffs. More eyes on him + Humble and appealing attitude + the ability to make a statement this season= MVP honors.

Ima hafta follow the majority of OKC game this year after Lakers and Golden State.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.