OT: Keeping a keg cold

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Diggles, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

I'm gonna assume everybody's been to a kegger before. I've been to plenty, but I've never held one. Its for my girl's birthday tomorrow and its at her friends house. 3 kegs are being delivered between 3-4pm tomorrow and kegs probably won't be tapped until at least 9pm. Basically her friends wanna be dicks and will hold the jam but don't want to set-up, so we now have to figure out a way to keep 3 kegs cold. Kegs are big motherfuckers and I'm not too sure that we have like empty, clean trash cans to put the kegs and fill with ice.

How in the fuck do you keep 3 kegs cold for 5 hours, PLUS the 5-6 hours that people are gonna be drinking without them going piss warm?

I know kegs are meant to keep insulate the cold, but they only hold for so long, in spring too right? Anybody got any tricks or ideas...

Random, I know.
    test
  2. BelowTheHeavens

BelowTheHeavens New Member

test
  3. misterteenwolf

misterteenwolf Well-Known Member

been there before. no matter what, you're gonna need a lot of ice. you wanna keep the kegs at least halfway submerged in ice. with that many kegs, you could put them in the bathtub or kiddie pool or some other makeshift device filled with ice. also, make sure you cover it from light if they're gonna sit for awhile. dark garbage bag, blanket, etc will do
    test
  4. Diggles

Lol I exhausted google, thanks kiddo.
    I'm pretty sure I'm aware how to use a search engine... RM became one of my final options once everything else was exhausted.

And I would put them in a bathtub, but there's only one bathroom with a tub, and that's upstairs and there's no way a 160lb keg is going upstairs only to go back down..
    ...yeah, I'm pretty fucked.

Thanks a lot though..
    ...makeshift devices are always an option.
    test
  5. BelowTheHeavens

[youtube]QxsrIftU6bs[/youtube]
    test
  6. Diggles

:)

Oh, and those big 55 gallon trash cans can be expensive
    $75 for 3 cans.. fuuuuck that, I'll shove 3 kegs up my ass before I pay that for an oversized rubbermaid container.
    test
  7. NOVA703

NOVA703 Making Moves

use ice and rock salt, that should do the trick
    test
  8. mr marz

mr marz Member

the kegorator

[​IMG]

my boy has a kegorator the size of regular fridge, but i cant find a pic of the one he has
    test
  9. w1seGUY

w1seGUY Active Member

basically, thing is, many times u think the party might be thicker than it really is. and u end up having full kegs, u need to make sure by the end of the night u have those kegs in trash cans with fresh bags of ice so u might be able to drink during the next day. lots of times, ppl get too crunk the first night, dont put the keg on ice, and its gross the next day= waste of beer. remember to dump ice before u pass out.
    test
  10. EmceeGoddess

EmceeGoddess Disgruntled Man

lol dude i highly doubt you're gonna run thru 3 kegs
    test
  11. mr marz

mr marz Member

^ ive done it before with like 40-50 people more than once
    test
  12. EmceeGoddess

you had 40-50 people drink 8 pints of beer each? maybe stop hanging out with alcoholics?

lol @ not being able to move a keg upstairs. you're only fucked if you're a pussy.
    test
  13. mr marz

mr marz Member

lol yea but parties where u get that many kegs last a bit longer than 3 or 4 hours bro

some people drink more and some people drink less- at any party i mean
    test
  14. EmceeGoddess

even if it is a long party, having 40-50 people average 8 pints of beer each is pretty ridiculous. but hey it's your story, tell it how you want it.
    test
  15. BelowTheHeavens

Has there ever been a thread where EG leaves a post, and no argument stems from it?
    test
  16. EmceeGoddess

usually when i call you a nerdy indian fag nobody argues it.
    test
  17. BelowTheHeavens

:hump:
    test
  18. mr marz

mr marz Member

i mean im not an alcoholic, i drink once or twice week.. but for example last night was dollar mugs at a local spot. i drank 11... but i was really fuckin trashed. point being there are a few people that party like that at parties, and there are a few people that drink considerably less, i suppose the average of 8 pints each sounds reasonable especially with drinking games. but i was only estimating man, i dont know what the exact ratio of people to kegs at all of the parties ive been to. but thanks for listening to my story.
    test
  19. w1seGUY

w1seGUY Active Member

always better to have more than less. but three kegs might be excessive. i used to throw a kegger every week. depending on how late they serve beer in your city, you might wanna cop 1 or 2. and u can always go back out and have the party chip in if need be
    test
  20. mr marz

mr marz Member

true i know exactly what ur saying. i mean, were not throwing a party like that unless we know its going to be poppin and everyone is tryna get fucked up. ya know? its not like this kinda shit happened every weekend.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.