OT I'm having surgery tomorrow

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Static Legacy, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Static Legacy

Static Legacy 3 times of a lotta shit

Well, back at the end of March I tore my acl in my left knee playing bball. Tomorrow is my surgery, does anybody have any advice? I'm far from a negative nancy, but for years I've seen shit on waking up during surgery, like feeling it, and not being able to say anything b/c of muscle relaxants. I've had surgery to remove my tonsils almost exactly 13 years ago when I was five. So I don't remember going under, what can I expect from the anesthesia? Is it quick to work? and does the surgery fell like a quick nap? All advice and comments would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
    test
  2. WRC07TapeThief

WRC07TapeThief New Member

DIE SLOW.....woah, sorry bout that, shouldn't let sazoo type for me anymore. anyways good luck, hope it works out.
    test
  3. bobbaforce

bobbaforce I don't give a nada

no comments or advice because ive never had surgery but good luck with everything
    test
  4. Static Legacy

thanks a lot for wishing me luck
    test
  5. Saddle Rattle

Saddle Rattle Sup

Die as fast as possible..... woah, sorry bout that, souldn't let fredo type for me anymore. anyways good luck, hope it works out.
    test
  6. Tostitos Vet

Tostitos Vet Stackin' Chips

I've been put under twice, once for a large emergency surgery and again for a routine biopsy procedure.

Now my mind state was completely different for the two surgeries, one I was barely coherent and basically dying & the second was like showing up for a dental appointment mid-day. Even though one surgery took hours and the other 20 mins I felt the same as I gained consciousness.
    pretty much no recollection of the time immediately before being put under, ie. the drugs work fast, you will not have a chance to become impatient or nervous really. And yes it does feel like a short nap, I had no memories or dreams etc, complete time-lapse.

I would try and get a good rest and push those paranoid thoughts off, they won't help. Waking up during surgery seems extremely rare & extremely scary, I'm sure a bunch of the weirdos from the sleep paralysis thread can come in here and freak you out.

get well
    test
  7. Static Legacy

thanks man, I'm definitely trying not to get paranoid
    test
  8. Beef Merciful

Beef Merciful when that bob-omb flicker

LISTEN FAGGOT.....woah, sorry bout that, shouldn't let conceited type for me anymore. anyways good luck, hope it works out.
    test
  9. Static Legacy

lmao those rappers shouldn't type stuff got me leaning
    test
  10. MarkClark

MarkClark New Member

Had ACL surgery a few years ago. Nothing to worry about as far as the surgery. I was fine right after mainly because the anesthesia hadn't worn off. The pain starts about 10 hours after you wake up. You're not going to want to move or do anything. Make sure you have plenty of ice, they hooked me up with some mechanism that pumped cold water around my knee constantly which helped a bunch.
    test
  11. Static Legacy

thanks a lot homie for the advice, that was another concern with when the pain was gonna kick in. Two of my boys just had knee surgery, and the one who had acl reconstruction said the pain the first two-three days is bad, I'm pretty good with pain, hopefully they give me some good shit, pain reliever wise.
    test
  12. TagsTheMan

TagsTheMan New Member

30,000 people a year wake during surgery - Health care- msnbc.com

according to this over 30,000 people wake up during surgery a year.

"Patients say it feels like being trapped in a corpse: They awake during surgery, unable to move or scream. Some remember hearing their surgeons talk, and a few recall feeling intense pain."

but dont worry, hopefully you wont wake up.....
    test
  13. MarkClark

MarkClark New Member

That's the thing, the first 2 days to a week is terrible. After that it's smooth sailing, just a lot of rehab. I have a pretty high pain tolerance too but it's awful. I had a knee surgery to fix my meniscus a few months before the ACL recon. and it was nothing, but the ACL recon. is rough. You'll definitely get percs or something for the pain. All I really wanted to do was sleep though.
    test
  14. Static Legacy

Yeah have a torn meniscus too, sleep is the priority, when I tore it I couldn't sleep for a good 4-5 days with out waking every so often from the pain.
    test
  15. WRC07TapeThief

WRC07TapeThief New Member

Hopefully the last thing that you hear the doctor say isn't "Ayo, check it out, i FUCKED THE FUCK UP!!! god damnnnnnn."
    test
  16. Ethernet

Ethernet G.O.A.T.

[Doctor] Scalpel
    [Nurse] Here
    [Doctor] Sponge
    [Nurse] Here
    [Doctor] Wait.. he's convulsing, he's convulsing!
    [Nurse] Ah!
    [Doctor] We're gonna have to shock him!
    [Nurse] Oh my! Oh my God!
    [Doctor] We're gonna have to shock him!
    [Nurse] Oh my God!
    test
  17. Beef Merciful

Beef Merciful when that bob-omb flicker

dead
    test
  18. Minkaveli

Minkaveli VoKab

have as much sex as possible tonight
    test
  19. Elliptical

Elliptical New Member

Don't worry you'll be fine. It'll feel like a nap. Good luck and have a quick recovery!
    test
  20. Static Legacy

thanks man
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.