OT: I just came to a revolutionary epihpany

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by reznick, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mookie wilson

mookie wilson New Member

yo sarcastic reznick, you forgot to show the information, history and culture the people were bringing with them. YOU CANNOT remove someones culture by stripping them of their material possessions. Their link to their homeland is eternal and I refuse to believe you can just beat, bully or rape it out of someone.

I said muffled deliberately and mentioned capoeira deliberately because I can only believe the slave traders and whatever government at the times violent influence on stifling the culture would teach people to hide it, disguise it and push it underground. I think youre selling people shrt to think they would give up on their own history or especially that future generations wouldnt take it upon themselves as their first act of freedom to re-associate with their past, familes and history before all the atrocities and hardship.

why the fuck would you want to identify with america after that? I mentioned distant relatives as a recent example. But theres examples everywhere. Its called the motherland for fuck sakes.

when you began the first post you were talking about how blacks could embrace america or that they should because it is 100% their culture. I said it was insulting because that insinuates they dont already have one of their own, with america being a big part of it and vice versa. If its a discussion on contemporary america what does it matter if soemone couldnt access thi sinfo 50 years ago.

and you dont need to stress to me the significance of the length of time the america slave trade or its lasting effects. my dad has shared many, many stories with me of his time in alabama, missi & georgia when he was assisting to get black voters registered for the first time, and that was what 40, 45 yrs ago. or how about the high school in missi. running segregated proms until 2008.

peep game

Releaselog | RLSLOG.net Prom Night in Mississippi 2009 DVDRip XViD-SPRiNTER
    test
  2. reznick

reznick New Member

but one of the things you mentioned was books.

And your "refusal" to believe that a culture can be close to tarnished is a sad reality my friend. Because I dont know if you skipped my other post, but gatherings of more than three slaves was disallowed, and so was talking in other languages.

Im not selling anyone anything, because I have absolutely nothing to gain from this. I never said im 100% right either, as you can see in my first post. This was meant for discussions, but all the points you brought up were in my opinion not strong.
    test
  3. reznick

reznick New Member

to answer your previous question. yes, but in a very general outlook on things. Like I keep repeating there are many gray areas to this logic.

And I know waht your saying about being American, and trust me I used to feel the same way. Everything I do, and the way I think is American. Nobody looks at me and thinks something else before they think American. But me and you do have an inevitable influence from our families original homeland and culture. Even if it only makes up 5% of our background, its still there.
    test
  4. reznick

reznick New Member

look man, my point is, that African Americans are the BEST example of American culture. It has no barring on them and the connection to their original culture that was lost and obscured over the years.
    test
  5. mookie wilson

mookie wilson New Member

POINT BLANK ridiculous to deny the same thing for a black person.
    Perhaps Im biased because I usually meet somewhat intelligent, thoughtful well-rounded black people who are at least semi-aware and proud of their cultural heritage. Maybe it's because I'm a canuck and my american experience is second-hand, passed down to me by parents (see what I did there).
    I know the US dont take too kindly to naggers having their own culture and such and Im starting to think we've been spoiling ours.
    test
  6. mookie wilson

mookie wilson New Member

that's more like it. baseball, rock n roll, bbq, bill clinton. now I see your point clearly
    test
  7. reznick

reznick New Member

its not about being aware of it

its about being it
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.