OT: I just came to a revolutionary epihpany

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by reznick, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reznick

reznick New Member

I gotta cool story for you bros

American culture can be identified best by looking into the culture of African Americans.

While almost every other American has a country they can trace their heritage back to, many African Americans can only trace as far back as to slavery.

These African-Americans are the primary group of people to study, if one wants to learn about the American Culture. The types of hobbies, foods, language, religious style, and many other things that African Americans are into, should be looked at as purely American.

You want to know, what type of food is American? Ask or study the black populous.

You want to know what is the most American way of practicing religion? Visit a predominantly black church.

For this group of people are not practicing a culture from another country. Rather, everything they do is purely American.

After coming to this realization, I have realized that Red White & Blue, should be synonymous to black, in this country. The "black way" is actually the "American way".

This idea only applies to those black americans who cannot trace their ancestor back to Africa.

I thought my revelation was interesting because I have never ever thought about our country or its people like this.

Am I right, am I wrong? Is this an interesting idea?

Thoughts???
    test
  2. reznick

reznick New Member

I have a feeling that this ideology will be general knowledge in the future. And I also think because of this, blacks will have more and more power and influence as the country grows, times change, and people become smarter.
    test
  3. BelowTheHeavens

BelowTheHeavens New Member

Edited for being wrong.
    test
  4. reznick

reznick New Member

okay lets taek you for example, stock

lets say your culture is made up of 20% Indian, and 80% American. Because you cant deny that both cultures impact your and influence your life

But for black Americans its 100% American. Who elses culture are they being influenced directly by?
    test
  5. BelowTheHeavens

BelowTheHeavens New Member

Completely missed this.......... my bad.
    test
  6. reznick

reznick New Member

no doubt, yea thats a key thing to consider about my though process
    test
  7. TsirhCitna

TsirhCitna New Member

test
  8. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Pipe Buster

I guess I'm missing the reasoning here. I can trace my heritage... I guess I like potatoes like my ancestors, and can drink a lot. Aside from that, I have little or no Irish influence in my current life.

Also, we all know African Americans came from Africa, regardless if they can trace their lineage or not... shouldn't that make this point moot?
    test
  9. BinoSWI

BinoSWI Half Jamaikan Half Scouse

wut about native americans? shouldn't everythin they be do be true american? no expert on this shit like
    test
  10. Freshcoast86

Freshcoast86 Rap or chill

Felt like i was reading Malcom x for a second, i can see your point. Makes sense.
    test
  11. Eyerate

Eyerate The Definition of Real..

interesting logic..

its fundamentally flawed, but still interesting.
    test
  12. Midemceeon

Midemceeon New Member

well what bout native americans
    we all are derivitave from africa
    test
  13. Drones

Drones Active Member

More American whites are descendants of slaves than of slave owners.
    I read a Jom Giad novel recently. He's arguably not the most trustworthy source of information, but that one I've seen several times now, and it kinda undermines your theory, no?
    If you replace African Americans with slaves, I think your right. I doubt that it's a revolutionary thought, though, but yeah, still interesting.
    test
  14. E_x_t_o_g_I

E_x_t_o_g_I Digital Cash

And here I was assuming that this was gonna be a thread that actually made sense.
    test
  15. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

so because many african americans history only dates back to when they arrived here, and their only known 'culture' is created from America, that means that their culture is OUR culture?

i dunno man, i could trace my family history to back before a black person even stepped on american soil
    test
  16. reznick

reznick New Member

test
  17. reznick

reznick New Member

no, because if a certain family cannot trace their lineage back to Africa, then their family is living the American culture. Because who influenced them prior to being in America? There is no direct influence. And if your only cultural influence is in America, then that makes you pure American
    test
  18. TheOmega

TheOmega Well-Known Member

I get what your saying. to and extent its true because
    A. the Native Americans were all but wiped out and
    B. African American did not Choose to come here and were raped of most of if not all of their own African culture so it had to start new somewhere right?

I wouldn't say we ARE the American culture but i do get what your saying.
    test
  19. reznick

reznick New Member

America as a PHYSICAL peice of land. Yes. Natives are the primary Americans.

However I speak of America in terms of the country that Europeans started/stole. The America in which you and I live in, was not started or created by NA's. We simply raped them and kicked them out, which is a whole other discussion. But NA's werent the poloticians in the 1700's. NA's didnt bring in slaves. NA's played no part in the forming of the country America, other than being victims.

We built America on occupied land. The America that was built, the one we live in today, is what I am speaking of.
    test
  20. BinoSWI

BinoSWI Half Jamaikan Half Scouse

dont u reckon the european settlers had a big impact on american culture tho?

hmm i think i kinda get what ur saying now actually

i live in europe so i'm obviously more ignorant on the usa than you but id like to know more for sure
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.