OT: how do you guys feel about this? interesting issue..

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Eyerate, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eyerate

Eyerate The Definition of Real..

No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com

cliffs: this dude lives in a rural town and they have an optional "fire tax" that they pay to be covered by a neighboring fire protection district. this dude didnt pay that fee and they let his house burn down.

i feel like this is probably a pretty divisive issue.. should the FD cover everyone for free? should people that are required to "opt-in" via a small payment be allowed to pay on the spot? its important to note that the people who pay this "fire tax" do not give a cut of their property taxes to the FD, as most people do.

as someone who has worked in and around the fire service for years i know my opinion on the matter. however, im going to approach this thread from a different angle and NOT voice my opinion just yet.

whats yours?
    test
  2. Eyerate

[youtube]71f6B0AqZAU[/youtube]
    test
  3. scrotie

scrotie aka lil generation gap

if theres a fire it should be put out by the people whose job it is to put out fires
    test
  4. misterteenwolf

misterteenwolf Well-Known Member

The approach they took seems somewhat extreme. I would've put the fire out and uhhh.... Sent him a bill or something for the service provided
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  5. pill grim

pill grim CHRONNIE SPARKO

what the fuck?
    test
  6. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

conflicted?
    test
  7. Eyerate

so let me ask you this... you say it should be put out by the people whos "job" it is to put out the fire...

lets say you cut down trees for a living.. and i said "hey scrotie.. ive got this tree and its bugging me. how about you come over here and cut down this tree. im not going to pay you, but just go ahead and do that for me."

how would you respond?

i mean, isnt it your "job" to cut down trees?
    test
  8. Eyerate

not in the slightest.. i know EXACTLY where i stand on this, along with all my friends who are para-firefighters.

im more interested in the community opinion, rather than championing mine.
    test
  9. Wird of Pley

Wird of Pley I Slice My Own Ham

Most people consider police protection and protection from fire to be covered by the Government.

If you being robbed and you call the cops they aren't checking if you paid a tax.

I think its a little ridiculous to let the mans house burn down.
    test
  10. misterteenwolf

misterteenwolf Well-Known Member

Kinda weird tbh. Did the guy call the fire dept to put out the fire? Knowing damn well he didn't pay the tax. Which is kinda funny (the joke being on him). Also, its still an asshole thing to let a persons' house burn down. I understand their reasons but still not cool
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  11. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

Well, sound the alarm, this is a first.

...but I meant I felt conflicted, since as you say, this is an interesting issue.
    test
  12. Eyerate

another point i'll make, since this started out on the olberman side of the coin...

in small fire protection districts, the quality of the equipment the FD has is directly related to budget constraints.. in MANY cases rural or small town firefighters are using older, sub-par gear because they don't have the budget to purchase new equipment.

a new pumper is around a million bucks.. same goes for a hook and ladder. scott tanks(SCBA breathing tanks) and other equipment is also incredibly expensive to purchase and maintain.

these fireman are essentially put at a higher risk to their lives by not having top-notch safety and fire fighting equipment.
    test
  13. Slick Ick

Slick Ick New Member

i have absolutely no opinion as to what the firefighters 'should' have done, because that's their business, but I would've helped the dude.
    test
  14. Eyerate

for most people it IS covered by the government.. and is paid for by the citizens who live within the FPD through property taxes and/or referendums.

in rural situations, its not. fire tax is not a new concept, nor is it rare.
    test
  15. deadBeat

deadBeat BVA, who is this fella?

Considering:

Cost of putting out fire < Cost of house

It's in the greater good to put it out in this ONE case, but really, it needs to be fixed to where problems like this won't come up.
    test
  16. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

so his house just burned to the ground completely? what about putting it out so it doesnt spread? sounds weird imo. i mean what if dude has some kind of rare or endangered animal or plant species on his property? i think this situation has to really hinge on the factors that put this guys house in an area of fire tax....how common is it? what are the requirements for a fire tax zone?
    test
  17. Eyerate

talk it out.. we're here to help.
    test
  18. teacozy

teacozy New Member

Son, where haven't you worked?
    test
  19. Eyerate

they were on scene to contain the fire.. they sprayed the fenceline when the fire was threatening to jump to the neighboring house who had paid their fire tax.
    test
  20. Eyerate

lots of places.. i've only been in a handful of industries, most part time. i would like to experience more work in more fields though. im constantly broadening my horizons.

i thought it was common knowledge i was in the fire service? my FF license plates have been posted on here many times.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.