OT: Books About "Hip Hop Culture"

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by BelowTheHeavens, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BelowTheHeavens

BelowTheHeavens New Member

It was pretty cool seeing that most of you actually read, shocking right?

Anyways, I'm always interested in reading books discussing hip hop culture, or anything synonymous with hip hop.

I'd love for anyone to share a list of recommended readings.
    test
  2. mookie wilson

mookie wilson New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists
    [​IMG]

Broken Windows : Burning New York by James T. Murray, Karla L. Murray.
    [​IMG]

Ricky Powell New York City. Ricky Powell, (known for his photography and escapades touring with the Beastie Boys)
    [​IMG]

Rebel for the Hell of It : The Life of Tupac Shakur.
    [​IMG]
    test
  3. BelowTheHeavens

Did you just google that? Or have you actually read them all?
    test
  4. mookie wilson

mookie wilson New Member

of course I fucking googled the pics, Ive read them all though except the tupac one but I bought it and will get to it soon.

ego trip joint is probably the best & bobbitos is CRAZY if youre into sneaks & rap fashion...Tupacs poetry collection, rose form the concrete is dope too
    test
  5. whosaidjazz

whosaidjazz Member

The Ego Trip book is great, you need to read it if you haven't. Here's a couple more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    test
  6. Jack Shitt

Jack Shitt Not "jackshit"

Fuck man, I lent my copy of Ego Trip's Rap Lists to some ho I used to work with... I never got it back.
    test
  7. TOPR KORESH

TOPR KORESH AKA L Ron Hustler

Yes yes yall probably being the best historical take on things. Book of rap lists is a must, Ego Trip also has a book on race thats pretty dope too.

Theres a book called Thing Rakim Told Me or What Rakim Told Me that is fucking AMAZING. Its interviews with rappers about seminal albums but also interviews the engineers and studio cats about them as well, so you hear a lot of stories from regular ass dudes who just happened to witness a lot of shit.

But I think the must read for rapmusic.com heads is Queens Reigns Supreme. It breaks down a lot of Queens hood shoot from the 80s and how it affected hip hop throughout the 90s and beyond. It gives a lot of compelling evidence towards the murder of Jam Master Jay and my favorite highlights is of real queens gangsters snapping on Tupac for trying so fucking hard to be down. A must read.
    test
  8. PJ Sumroc

PJ Sumroc Ozone/Chi-town/Stump town

Ego Trips book of Rap lists is fucking amazing.....best book to read on the shitter ever made
    test
  9. BelowTheHeavens

good shit, ill check em out, thanks.
    test
  10. TOPR KORESH

TOPR KORESH AKA L Ron Hustler

Also theres some must read graff shit that gives a lot of insight to OG hip hop culture, specifically Terrible T Kids autobiography.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.