OT: BBQ sauces...

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by bobbylight, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbylight

bobbylight Well-Known Member

As a fat kid, I consider myself a bbq sauce connoisseur. It was not long ago that I would go to the grocery store after taking a bunch of bong hits and spend 50 bucks on new bbq sauces just to try them. I am quite sure that I tried just about every bbq sauce, and numerous other types of sauces at the local super market over the years. I have found a few sauces to be great and I would like to share them with the board.

First and foremost, the best brand of bbq sauces has to be diana's bbq sauce. Unfortunately the stuff is only available in Canada (which is weak as fuck because I am stateside...luckily I smuggled in 10 bottles of the stuff when I moved though).

Most of these sauces are not traditional bbq though (traditional as in you will not find sauces that taste similar).

Here is a list of their sauces:

:: Diana Sauce and Diana Marinade :: Diana´s Products Sauce

In my opinion, the only traditional bbq sauce they sell is the southwestern smokehouse, which is probably the best traditional bbq sauce I have ever had. It is similar to Jack Daniels bbq sauce, but is much better in my opinion.

BUT, the real gems in the line up are the chicken and ribs and the honey garlic (which are practically the same to be honest...only a slight difference in taste). These sauces are absolutely fucking delicious. It is hard to compare them to anything though to be honest. They are not as thick as a traditional bbq sauce and are quite sweet. Honestly, you just have to try them for yourselves. I just contacted them through their website and asked if they ship to the states, so I will let you know about that.

Another standard sauce is KC masterpiece. This is probably the most popular bbq sauce in America, and for good reason. In my opinion, this is a standard thick and sugary sauce. It is definitely sweet, thick, and a good all around bbq sauce.

Another type of sauce though, is one that is more liquidy, vinegar based, and is not as sweet. An example of this is dinosaur sauce (which is great) or Jim Beam sauce. The best way to tell which type of sauce you are about to buy is by the color (a traditional bbq sauce will be dark brown and thick and a vinegar based sauce will likely be a lighter brown and possibly have some visible chunks of pepper in it). You can also tell by how many calories are in the sauce (traditional sauces will be between 50-70 calories per serving while vinegar based sauces will be between 25-35 per serving...usually at least).

So, to sum up, the best bbq sauces IMO are diana's. KC masterpiece is a good choice for a standard bbq sauce. Sweet Baby Ray's, another popular sauce, in my opinion is too sweet (though many people like it...including this yahoo article: The great American BBQ sauce taste test on Shine ). A good vinegar based sauce is dinosaur sauce and the jim beam sauce is actually quite good as well. Jack daniels also has a good bbq sauce.

So, what are your favorite bbq sauces?
    test
  2. Wizz513

Wizz513 Member

[​IMG]

i dont even know if they sell it outside of Southwest Ohio though.....
    test
  3. Static Legacy

Static Legacy 3 times of a lotta shit

5 words: Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ
    test
  4. CRUMS2BRICKS

CRUMS2BRICKS New Member

test
  5. reznick

reznick New Member

damn you seem like a bbq sauce expert, so im gonna take your advice and try that diana shit

edit: nvm only available in canada.

Why cant we have Dianas, or Ketchup chips, or popcorn powder??? :(
    test
  6. Dirty Dem

Dirty Dem New Member

this
    test
  7. wizworld

wizworld How can you be mad at me?

Damn that Diana's looks official. Plus it doesn't have HFCS either, I don't purchase anything with HFCS (or hydrogenated soybean oil) anymore.
    Since that limits my options (stuff like KC Masterpiece is out), I'm currently rocking with the Bold & Smoky Kansas City style BBQ sauce from Trader Joe's. It's pretty impressive imo, but I doubt it's the absolute best stuff out there. It did get good review on here though Trader Joe's Bold and Smoky Kansas City Style Barbecue Sauce (5/5) | BBQ Sauce Reviews
    I didn't even know a BBQ sauce review site existed until I just googled.
    test
  8. Maytrikz

Maytrikz Genuine Person Time

[​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  9. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

sweet baby rays. and stubbs.

this is coming from a rib eating Texan.
    accept no other advice after this.
    test
  10. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

my fellow GS members know what up
    test
  11. Pontus

Pontus _________________________

Ever since watching that "mr chi city fridge" video, i only fuck with

Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce

[​IMG]
    test
  12. tha sinner

tha sinner New Member

sweet baby rays and slap ya mama
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  13. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

sweet baby ray's all-day

GS
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  14. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

funniest thing is SBR's is one of the cheaper sauces. they know how to cater to my people.
    test
  15. Crescent Swerve

Crescent Swerve Well-Known Member

the most fire seasoning on the globe which goes on anything but also good on bbq-->
    [​IMG]
    EF your from texas ever had this?
    test
  16. bobbylight

bobbylight Well-Known Member

I actually just got this stuff at sam's club because I needed a bunch and it was the cheapest stuff there and it is actually VERY good...it is sweet, but not too sweet.

Sonny's Bar-B-Q Online Store
    test
  17. Static Legacy

Static Legacy 3 times of a lotta shit

Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  18. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

NEVER, is it good? I just moved here to Texas. got alot to try
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  19. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

we still use lawry's in texas
    test
  20. misterteenwolf

misterteenwolf Well-Known Member

best i've ever had in my life is the hot bbq sauce from rendezvous in memphis. the local supermarkets don't have it so i have to order online but its well worth it
    [​IMG]

my other fav is bone suckin sauce. shit is crazy good on anything
    [​IMG]

as far as sauces you can get at any store: sweet baby rays is good stuff, also anything that stubbs makes it awesome, i can see why people like kc masterpiece but its like very normal. definitely gets the job done but i always wish there were a little more to it

also, good topic
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.