Ok Ok...I give up...How THE FUCK DO YOU MIX YOUR TRACKS TO THE POINT THAT THEY KNOCK

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Creative Silence, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soniclabsaudio

soniclabsaudio New Member

i think we nahmean lol
    test
  2. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

so....

+53hz and +12k on a kick
    +250hz and +2k on a snare
    +400hz, +3k and +12k on a piano
    +400hz, +2.5k and +5k on a vocal
    +12k on a hi hat
    +120hz on a bass guitar

you're not boosting everything on every instrument, but you're boosting everything

that's what i'm talking about, and it's what a shitload of people do, especially producers on this board
    test
  3. Creative Silence

Creative Silence CreativeSilence, Inc.

^^^But by boosting frequencies...isn't that adding artificial shit?

Wouldn't it be better to CUT than Boost?
    test
  4. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

well technically it depends... like I said, its ear n common sense ...

but technically mayn you ain't boostin EVERYTHING nahmean... depends of course, whether you doin real pinpoint frequency or you boosin the range... you gotta boost SOME shit, peeps jus gotta learn whut nahmean mayn... how else you gunna make them snares snap n shiet feel meh?
    test
  5. Creative Silence

Well I never go past 0 when mixing...I always cut and compress later, but I'm starting to rethink some of that after reading this thread.
    test
  6. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

think he jus givin example nahmean mayn... technically you gotta boost certain things to get a desired sound... obviously cut others, but if you wanna snap snare best be boostin some shit nahmean mayn
    test
  7. The Militant

The Militant New Member

its funny how producers try to get that lo-fi hiphop sound, but are scared to boost shit lol
    test
  8. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

thats why i said....not everything you read in a book works when it comes to hip hop....

if im doing a crunk ass beat im not mixing or doing the same things i would be doing to a traditional east coast sampled beat when it comes to my drums...different styles require you to do different things to get the effect your looking for......

but alot of these cats dont understand that....not even engineer's....ive had to yell at engineers before for trying to make sampled beats sound clean as fuck....and im like.....WTF ARE YOU DOING!!!...they cuttin this and that and then you have this thin ass sample sittin on top of some drums that sound lifeless cause they start gating and taking away shit thats on the natural recording.....

and for some odd reason many engineer's ive met love music.....but suck horribly at making it.....dont know wtf is up with that..lol
    test
  9. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

no, you're not, all an eq does is provide a volume control over individual frequency ranges, that's it. you're simply turing up or down specific parts of a sound.
    yep, that's what i've been saying...duh...it's better to turn down the parts of a sound you don't like than turn up the ones you do, because you still have the shit you don't want in there by boosting...when you cut you're getting rid of shit you don't want
    test
  10. Creative Silence

Exactly Arcane, by boosting your adding artificial volume/amplitude to the original sound over individual frequency ranges.
    But by "cutting" your just taking away from the Original sound, which can either end up sounding more flat or more muddy.
    test
  11. Raticus

Raticus Beatz for the streetz....

These are defintly not the golden rules of mixing... Just someones opinion...
    I think if you asked ten people to write a document like the one above you would get 10 different versions.....

But, what I find useful from this isnt the instructions to boost or cut...
    Itz gives you a good idea of frequencies to sounds.... And what frequency area a particular type of sound should be in...

The best way to mix is by ear but I also like to use my eyes to check meters and
    spectrum analysis and compare against other mixes....

Read alot of the posts, and that kat Mad Skrews dropped some bombs as far as I am concerned.....

Raticus
    test
  12. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

flatter yes, muddy, no

theres no way something can get more muddy by cutting
    test
  13. Creative Silence

I take that back...I meant "soft".....
    test
  14. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

that ones debateable, depending on what the origional sound is, and where the cut is
    test
  15. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Guest

i dont really get it.

uhmm let me ask this with an example

lets say you have a 3 band Equalizer.

by raising the 1st band you'll boost the bass on, for example, a kick.

will cutting the mid and the high band give you the same results as boosting the 1st band?
    test
  16. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

yep, pretty much
    test
  17. Definit

Definit Based.

i basically have extreme diariah right now...bbl.

test
  18. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

then why debate it? or r u talkin bout to make it fit inside the area of sound. I get both arguements I honestly like a bit of a muddy sound over a clean one except on vocals but im curious if the result will end up being the same why debate
    test
  19. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

the end result won't be the same

on a single track, a boost or a cut makes relatively no difference, but when it's put together with say, 40 other tracks, it makes a considerable difference if you're doing a lot of boosts instead of a lot of cuts
    test
  20. Beatboss

Beatboss aka ni6apinoflavord

i got this really good book on mixing.
    it teaches you how to make an "image" of what your mix would look like in your head. that shit is brilliant nigga. it fuckin made mixing 10 fuckin times easier. get at me if u want the book (PDF)
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.