Ok Ok...I give up...How THE FUCK DO YOU MIX YOUR TRACKS TO THE POINT THAT THEY KNOCK

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Creative Silence, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

so you're distorting your recordings? like from....acoustic instruments?

cause mpcs and samples and shit are digital homeboy...same with keyboard patches...
    soundclick.com/skewedupproductions

i mixed most of that stuff around 6-8 months ago...i've done work for numerous people on this site as well...but i mostly mix live, my last gig was a big salsa festival in town mixing to aprox. 5000 people, my next gig is with a hard rock band..possibly a cross canada tour
    test
  2. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

i have use of several...the most commonly used ones for me are a SSL 4000G, Midas Heratige 3000, and Allen & Heath GL2200 (at my weekly club gig :): <3 mixing live)

i also have an analog tape machine in my home editing studio, it's only a two track though
    test
  3. ThaPaleFacedNinja

ThaPaleFacedNinja ive been nice

not familiar with the last 2.. but i fuck with the, SSL 6056G, and the neve 8058
    one of the first consoles with the automated faders, i wish i had an analog tape machine.. id run my drums and shit threw that bitch hottttt then a mutha
    test
  4. Creative Silence

Creative Silence CreativeSilence, Inc.

Soe rotary organs with a wah wah effect and some clipping....=great...
    test
  5. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

they're live boards, as that takes the majority of my time

i prefer not to be stuck in the studio...way better being on tour
    test
  6. Raticus

Raticus Beatz for the streetz....

Just some ish I dug up....

EQ REFERENCE

50Hz
    Boost: To thicken up bass drums and sub-bass parts.
    Cut: Below this frequency on all vocal tracks. This should reduce the effect of any microphone 'pops'.

70-100Hz
    Boost: For bass lines and bass drums.
    Cut: For vocals.
    General: Be wary of boosting the bass of too many tracks. Low frequency sounds are particularly vulnerable to phase cancellation between sounds of similar frequency. This can result in a net 'cut of the bass frequencies.

200-400Hz
    Boost: To add warmth to vocals or to thicken a guitar sound.
    Cut: To bring more clarity to vocals or to thin cymbals and higher frequency percussion.
    Boost or Cut: to control the 'woody' sound of a snare.

400-800Hz
    Boost: To add warmth to toms.
    Boost or Cut: To control bass clarity, or to thicken or thin guitar sounds.
    General: In can be worthwhile applying cut to some of the instruments in the mix to bring more clarity to the bass within the overall mix.

800Hz-1KHz
    Boost: To thicken vocal tracks. At 1 KHz apply boost to add a knock to a bass drum.

1-3KHz
    Boost: To make a piano more aggressive. Applying boost between 1KHz and 5KHz will also make guitars and basslines more cutting.
    Cut: Apply cut between 2 KHz and 3KHz to smooth a harsh sounding vocal part.
    General: This frequency range is often used to make instruments stand out in a mix.

3-6KHz
    Boost: For a more 'plucked' sounding bass part. Apply boost at around 6KHz to add some definition to vocal parts and distorted guitars.
    Cut: Apply cut at about 3KHz to remove the hard edge of piercing vocals. Apply cut between 5KHZ and 6KHz to dull down some parts in a mix.

6-10KHz
    Boost: To sweeten vocals. The higher the frequency you boost the more 'airy/breathy' the result will be. Also boost to add definition to the sound of acoustic guitars or to add edge to synth sounds or strings or to enhance the sound of a variety of percussion sounds. For example boost this range to:

· Bring out cymbals.

· Add ring to a snare.

· Add edge to a bass drum.

10-16KHz

Boost: To make vocals more 'airy' or for crisp cymbals and percussion. Also boost this frequency to add sparkle to pads, but only if the frequency is present in the original sound, otherwise you will just be adding hiss to the recording.

80hz - rumble of the bass

100hz - thump of the kick

200hz - bottom of the guitar

250hz - warmth of the vocal

350hz - bang of the snare

400hz - body of the bass

500hz - clang of the high hat

600hz - clang of the cymbals

800hz - ping of ride cymbal

1000hz - meat of the guitar

1200hz - body of the snare

1400hz - meat of the vocal

1600hz - snap of the kick/plectrum on guitar (attack)

2500hz - wires and snap of snare

3000hz - presence of the vocal

4000hz - ring of ride cymbal/top end of bass guitar

6000hz - sizzle of the high hat

7000hz - sizzle of the cymbals

8000hz - top end of the kick

9000hz - brightness on snare and cymbals

10000hz - brightness on vocal

12000hz - air on vocal

14000hz - air on cymbals

Every mix is different music wise as is every genre, but here are some "defaults" to get you pointed in the right direction. Note that this is where the solo'd signal level should be peaking at and all of these are negative values because I assume you are mixing on digital gear.

Snare: -2db

Kick: -3db

Toms: -3db to -5db depending on the use

Overheads: -6db

Room mics: -6 to -2db depending on amount of ambience

Bass guitar: -4 to -6db

Guitar: -4db to -2db (the louder the more 'metal' you sound imho)

Vocals: -1db to -0.5db

Foreground synth parts: -3 to -2db

Background synth parts: -6db to -8db

Backing vocals: -4db to -3db

Ambient sound effects/samples: -7db to -9db
    test
  7. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

wow...thats horrible

especially the mixing thing

i like how 90% of the frequency ranges say boost as opposed to cut
    test
  8. ThaPaleFacedNinja

arcane, please relize most of these guys havent had the same training as you, instead of saying "wow thats horrible", help him fix the list

cuz duke is just trying to help everyone
    test
  9. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

an ensoniq eps is used for its distortion at its A/d converter......anyone using an eps classic at this point..is using it FOR its distortion.......its what gives you character to your drums when using the machine.....its the whole damn point of using it.....for its distortion......unless you used one of these machines...you wouldnt know that though.....

there are many things that BREAK the rules you read in books and learn outside of the typical conversions and formula's your used to using on a day to day basis.......in the end its all about the final product.......

but it seems like you really dont know much about those things..aside from what you read from a book.....ive done all that bro......theres a level beyond that...its called experience from those who are IN the game
    test
  10. soniclabsaudio

soniclabsaudio New Member

"distortion" - isnt the word your trying to use here its saturation or distressed. I think people are confusing the word distortion witht he pleasent sound that comes from older vintage gear.
    test
  11. Creative Silence

Creative Silence CreativeSilence, Inc.

Some people prefer to help, others prefer to do the opposite(making themselves look like dumbasses)

[Prove me wrong Arcane]
    test
  12. soniclabsaudio

soniclabsaudio New Member

my real question is creative what have you taken from this thread? was anything useful? you were the one who asked the question so ignoring all the bs shit talking were any replys useful?
    test
  13. ThaPaleFacedNinja

i got art of mixing on a PDF if any one wants it
    test
  14. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

well, 90% of the time a cut is better than a boost, boosting when eqing results in having too much of well, everything
    test
  15. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

good thing i've done neither in this thread :):

as for mixing 'rules', you need to know the 'rules' before you can break them, and you need to know WHY the 'rules' are the 'rules', as well as having at least a very solid knowledge of what everything actually is. from what i've seen on this site, there are maybe 3-5 people who actually fit into that
    test
  16. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

distortion is distortion...if its harmonic...if its changing the waveform going in and coming back out...if its offsetting anything from its original in just a simple transfer from one to one..its distortion no?

either way....you guys get what im saying.....distortion has its places....some where it is welcome.....

go with your ear....some dudes follow a book to try to get something that they are not going to get because many of these books arent written with what your trying to achieve in mind.........once you get the idea down its going to be mixed again anyway...the point is that you get your overall idea down and as close as you can.....so when its time to finish and do post work , the skeleton and frame work for your idea is there....

let your shit fly how YOU want it to on your beat...it doesnt matter.....its going to be mixed again anyway once you have your artist on it....and thats the point Urb was trying to make before...just create the idea....get your point across......when you give that shit to the engineer...then you go....you see how thats thumpin....make it thump like that
    test
  17. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

which is commonly known as analog distortion
    test
  18. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

mayn I guess arcane missed the whole point that "boost" means "boost if you want the following:" n then below finalizes wit "boost or cut..." mayn peoples be killin me
    test
  19. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

so if i want some of it all i should boost everything, right? no

99 times out of 100 you can get the same result from cutting as you can from boosting, and since cutting increases clarity and leaves room for other things in your mix, it's generally the better idea
    test
  20. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

nah mayn... anyone wit common sense realize that you can't boost everythin... on top of that, we talkin instrument specific, so I dun think peoples gunna be boostin 20hz ona hat or snare nahmean...

mayn, if peoples can't do the shit by ear, train themselves or somethin... maybe they dun need to be makin or mixin music nahmean...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.