Ok Ok...I give up...How THE FUCK DO YOU MIX YOUR TRACKS TO THE POINT THAT THEY KNOCK

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Creative Silence, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ejuhcaited

Ejuhcaited ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

lol.
    test
  2. Medicinal

Medicinal nmljby

For mix, you have to listen to dre tracks....Personally I think he has the best mixes..... they sound perfect... no muddiness....

I want to know how pharrell makes the tom drums/bongos/congos sound like they popping out/fluttering between the right and left speakers like jay-z excuse me miss.... and nelly- flap your wings
    test
  3. Creative Silence

Creative Silence CreativeSilence, Inc.

Hmmm...at one point in time I was listening to Jill Scotts first album, getting a feel for proper panage and placement....on certain tracks she has nice drums too. Dre I know has great mixing, but I go though some many versions of individual tracks that I don't want to listen to a Dre track, and switch my whole track up(intruments, melodies, sounds)...instead of mixing it down.
    test
  4. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

you need to mix at low levels, keep your relative levels so that the drums are louder and not just blending. Leave your self alot of headroom so that when you limit and EQ the Stereo track you can bring the levels up more and really get the track knocking. Problems most people have are not leaving themselves enough head room to EQ because they think that if they dont mix it loud it wont sound industry quality. the Loudness comes with Mastering EQ and Compression and Limiting. HEADROOM is you friend.
    test
  5. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

JaMarcus Cock Sucker BOSS

not tryin to shit on anybody.....but I have yet to hear anybody on here besides ghet ghet or mucka, actually mix a track and it sounds good

basically....ur drums obviously need to be louder than the instruments..........your instruments need a high pass cut off @ 100hz to keep them from conflicting with bass....as the bass needs a low pass cut off @ 100hz

that will clear up a lot of your problems

u also need to pan ur instruments.....main melodies can play the mid range at most cases....while embellishments need to play the sides....bass, kick, and snare needs to stay center.....anything else can be moved around

kick needs to be tightened up with the bass

solo the kick and bass and tighten them up together, then link the channels (if u usin cubase or nuendo) as long as the kick it tight with the bass just right, its gonna knock correctly

the rest is simply by ear....

render it down, then hit it with the linmb multiband compressor....what u wanna do is cut out anything beyond 16k and then even the 3 remaining bands out so that they hit at the same general level.....there is a trick to do this....but I'm not tellin a soul.......nor do I feel like explainin it

when cats come in here talkin about "there's too much goin on in that beat"

I kno from the jump, they just don't kno the basics to mixing a track......if ur mixin skills is tight, u can mix whatever number of instruments u like

for some reason ppl on these boards think every instrument is meant to be heard individually.......that's not the case......instruments can be used to compliment another sometimes aswell......so when these dummies barely hear a guitar, because they can't hear the guitar by itself, they deem it as bad mixing.......even when the guitar was meant to be low.....see what I'm saying?

anyways, that's my whole take on the shit....

and stop with that gay compressing of the drums.......yall obviously don't understand the point of a compressor

treat reverb like sugar in your kool aid, ur supposed to taste it....not see it
    test
  6. MAD SKREWS

MAD SKREWS Dear Mr.Toilet, Im Da Shi

also in composition... there is a rule of 3...

why does everyone compare great mixing and such to Dr. Dre's tracks?.. He, once I learned about this method, is a prime example of the rule of three.. The ear will distinctively recognize 3 different styles of sounds... Ie Percussion, Bass, Melodies.. now, as you add to this, your ears begin to have a tough time really deciphering melodies and such (which is when people often say that "too much" is going on)... Dre's production is indeed very much like this. He has his percs and stuff and has simple melodies that cath the attention with as little possible.. and as he introduces new sounds or combinations of sounds, he drops something else out so the listener can still focus on the ideal 3 separate groups of sounds... Now this can vary but it is essential to clear composition.. Listen to the busta album, or any album out there and put the rule of 3 to use.. you'll see how common this is used...

Skrews' $0.02
    test
  7. ~**Ms.Tris**~

~**Ms.Tris**~ New Member

Yoe man I have some already knocking drums coming your way very soon..you're gonna love them..

This is a tip I'm including in my kit( these arent the exact words, nor exact order but this will help you)... This isnt the only type of kick I use..but they knock..

Mighty Kicks my own steps used in Fl6.

1. Start off with kicks that sound close to the way you want them in the begining. Choosing the right kick is the most important step.

2. Imediately find a matching snare to use

3.Make a short boom bap Kick snare loop.. this is just for adjusting the sound of the Kick wavs and psossibly matching the snare witch is also important

4.** The Fun begins** add two more kicks..*** ONE MUST BE A CLUB/909 TYPE KICK** trust me this works for a knock everytime

5. Adjust the wav end point on all three kicks until they hit the way you want them. Especially the club kick. You only want to keep that thump in the middle.

6.Play around with pitching one of your kicks higher than the others.

7. Adjust volumes of the kicks until they sound right with the snare.

8.Use a filter cut if the kicks sound too clean ( In Fl6 use the "cut knob" on the sampler channel)

You can go through various kicks with your browser, or add more..the initial thing is to get it knockin before you even make the track. This works in Fl6 with out any additional Fx. The master Volume should be around 54%. Once I get this kick and snare combo right I continue to make the beat no matter if I start with the drums or the samples/melodies. The kick is all ready to thump.

Along the way I add Eq/fx to the samples/ instruments as I make the track. Not the kicks.

After the track is done I may add a 7 band Eq to the master. My settings usually
    stay around the following ranges[​IMG]

This setting seems to fit to keep the kicks sounding hard!..may have to adjust the 63 hz and 250 hz.. ..Fool around with compression here if needed ...but your kicks should sound knockin

after you get used to making your kicks knock..you'll be able to hear quickly what kicks match. Then you can ad the kicks whenever you like and adjust whenever you feel..

here are a three..use em behind your kicks or as the main ..play with the pitch..

3 free kicks to Layer

This concept can work with all software and mpc...Main point is starting with Good kicks and adjusting kicks before makin the beat..and keep listening to make sure they are not getting muffled along the way...Just my 30 cent :smile:
    test
  8. BoDi

BoDi www.iambodirock.com

use your EARS...NOT YOUR EYES!!!
    test
  9. veral conflict

veral conflict beatsrus

just use good sounds to begin with...
    test
  10. soniclabsaudio

soniclabsaudio New Member

Ok i have seen alot of good and bad points on here. The first thing that needs to be addressed is the comment "fuck let them distorted" Thats all fine in analoug word but your a/d converter to nuendo does not respond at at to clips after -0- it chops that shit off so no do not do that you are wasting dynamics. Second if your drums sound great in the mpc i bet when you compress your compressing the shit out of the drums making them softer and everything else louder. Waves are powerful tools if you know how to use them but to slam a l3 on every track ( not saying thats what your doing ) is just stupid. If you would like me to take a look at your mix save it i also run nuendo and drop me a session file. I have release forms you can fill out if you dont feel safe sending music, i do audio post production for a living. I bet alot of this has to do with the effects your using and how you have them routed. If possible just take a screen shot of your main mix window in nuendo fully open showing all routing and lets have a look.
    test
  11. Hitman J

Hitman J lets get get get it....

^ You Got An Aim?
    test
  12. soniclabsaudio

test
  13. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

I use a lot of low end on my kicks I actually intentially make them a bit muddy for that low end punch and compress the fuck out of them then bring all of my levels down bring my kick drum alone up to where is hittin at about -5db maybe as low as -7 but I use my ears to see what I like then I bring everything else up accordingly and I do all of this in reason stand alone Ive been playing with mixing in Sonar via rewire but I havent finished anything with that method but Sonar is a lot cleaner than Reason is Ill tell u that much
    test
  14. Creative Silence

Aha!!
    test
  15. Creative Silence

I usually cut certain things around 150-200
    I'll have to try the cut off @ 100hz(for all except for drums)
    test
  16. Beatboss

Beatboss aka ni6apinoflavord

naw nigga
    fuck all that
    i got the books
    hit me up if u want em
    test
  17. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

that could be why your shit sounds so horrible. no offense.
    test
  18. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

None taken Im still gettin my money so if it works why change it
    test
  19. soniclabsaudio

Someone was going to hit me on the IM ?
    test
  20. _REAPAH_

_REAPAH_ Mello Dee

You can make the WEAKEST of drums bang by doing 2 things....
    #1. Compress your kicks by themselves... and raise the gain till the shit pounds
    #2. EQ the snares wit alot of trebble (dependin on what type of snare you use) wit a hint of reverb so the shit sound crisp....

im pretty sure everybody done said it once
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.