Ok Ok...I give up...How THE FUCK DO YOU MIX YOUR TRACKS TO THE POINT THAT THEY KNOCK

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Creative Silence, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creative Silence

Creative Silence CreativeSilence, Inc.

I been ashamed to ask for a while now, but fuck it...I feel eft out...I give out tons of info...why not ask.
    Anyways here what I'm tying to do...
    1. I'm trying to get my drums to sound crispy...I want them to bang over the track...THUMP...NO DISTORTION!! ....PLEASE...SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW DAMNIT!!!
    2....(sigh)...I use waves bundle and everything....Always watching my meters like a fucking hawk!!
    3. I have a pair of KRK V6's...they nice...
    4. Along with those Drums I'm trying to Amplify my track to the max!! WHAT db is the STANDARD?!!
    5. Should compress or leave everything in the RED!!! ???

Best example of my recent work would be the track on my homepage, or the track on my myspace Www.myspace.com/thesoundmindrecordsllc

Shit, If you ain't trying to spit it here, email me ASAP at (Silence @ creative - silence . com)
    test
  2. Jay George

Jay George New Member

This isn't a smart comment but... Use your ears. You can't break this shit down to a science.
    test
  3. I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY

I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY who fuen CARES

why dont u just use drums that knock like some hard 808s or low bass?
    test
  4. Creative Silence

Aight, not to deffer from my original question, but the mixing for the track on page right now....how does it sound...and what need to be done....I keep comparing, and I feel all I need is amplification, but I can't go any further with distorting the fuck out of everything...what should I do?
    What do you do...step by step?
    test
  5. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

my shit usually knocks in my sequencer than when i mixdown i load it in nuendo and hit it wit a waves maximizer. i just make sure it aint clipping and im good.

but now i actually track everything out fromthe mpc into nuendo and mix it exactly the way i want it to sound instrument by instrument.
    test
  6. Creative Silence

When I layer them, they muffle my kicks...or am I doing something else wrong?
    test
  7. MAD SKREWS

MAD SKREWS Dear Mr.Toilet, Im Da Shi

A few things you should watch more than just the db meter and such.

1) Mixing is like painting... you can't just leave the main picture alone dead center.. it's usually accompanied by other less attractive pictures to the sides and so forth.. making a nice constrast between figures, shaps and colors.. tha's how you have to view your mix. panning, stereo field, reverb (for distance) is extremly useful and not commonly mentioned.. so try to do that... I ALWAYS use the true verb plug in to properly distant sounds from one another and it creates a great deal of space on teh track for all the sounds.. after all, when you see a picture, you dont see everything on top of each other and messy.. you see a distinct placement for individual objects... try to do that with your mix...

*people think reverb is just to make things sound like your in a hallway or church but fail to really think about why it sounds like that.. you can do anything with reverb related to space and distance in a tracks stereo field.. it's there to manipulate the space and distance of sounds to create a better mix..*

2) this is a quote I have in the book i'm reading on mixing.. it states "it's not how LOUD you make it, it's HOW you make it loud"... think about that... people think that just by increasing the volume/velocity on sounds they'll sound "louder" or crispier.. it's more method than that, it's not even that.. compression helps, maximizing also helps.. ultimately, you have to KNOW how to listen to your headphones and how they give off certain frequencies... like a 40 hz bass shouldn't be really loud in headphones..

3) Making space for a mix... when EQing your sounds, try to find the frequencies that each individual sound is mostly heard at.. like the high freqs on hi hats and so forth... anything frequencies that the individual sound doesn't give off, simply cut them.. for example.. hi hats have no low frequencies and some have slight mids.. more often than not, they are all on the higher side of the freqs.. with your eq, mute the frequencies that aren't being used by the sound.. even if you can't hear them, they are still being transmitted from the individual sound.. by muting these frequencies, you are creating "space" for other sounds that actually use those frequencies... the human ear can ehar anthing below 31hz or so, so in every mix, simply get rid of/or lower down significantly any frequencies beyond 30.. so your basses have plenty of toom to roar...

There are many techniques and people have there own styles of mixing.. these are just some tips that I can give you.. also, mixing doesn't come over nite.. it's a gradual thing if you are learning on your own.. so don't kill yourself if you are comparing your mixes to someone elses on this board or on soundclick, trust me.. at one point or another, they were where you are at now...

Mad Skrews
    test
  8. Creative Silence

I track everything thing aswell....I say about 16 different tracks no vocals...effects and everything....I usually get everything to the point where the mixdown sounds great, but the Track volume is mid low....or when comparing it to other producers tracks...my volume is lower...whys that?
    test
  9. Jay George

Jay George New Member

Use a reference song- A beat or track you know very well with similar bounce, energy, etc.

Switch back and forth as you mix between your track and the reference track. You'll notice the difference just by listening to each sound. 90% of the time you're using the wrong sounds if you're not getting the desired results.
    test
  10. Creative Silence

Ahhhh yes!! YES!!! #3 is crack to me.....ahhh yes...muhahaha!!
    Tell me more!!!
    test
  11. Creative Silence

Wrongs sounds, as to what...instruments or drums??

Also I usually route tracks I compare notes with through to one of my channels and watch the Frequencies with Wave frequency analyzer plugin...
    But it seems everything has a similar pattern...maybe that's industry standard(shrugs)
    test
  12. Creative Silence

True verb works magic for me to...I use alot of stuff though...outboard and internal effect....

I'ma b=go with #3, and cut out stuff I don't need, maybe thats my issue...Thanks.
    test
  13. Phoenix5891

Phoenix5891 T.S.K.

The Best is advice is to find some good reference tracks

Currently using : Busta Rhymes The Big Bang
    test
  14. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

if you aint using the right drums....they will NEVER KNOCK......

simple......if you gotta go through 500mb of drums to find the one that slices through the mix....then so be it.....and what the other dude said is true....slice out unneeded frequencies from other sounds.....let your drums breath.....and put em LOUDER!.....and dont overcompress or over limit your master...if the shit has a pumping sound your doing TOO MUCH limiting or compressing......and let shit distort sometimes.......fuck it.....seriously..
    test
  15. Auditory

Auditory New Member

fuck yeah let the shit distort
    test
  16. MAD SKREWS

MAD SKREWS Dear Mr.Toilet, Im Da Shi

great comparison... the mixing is indeed reallly well done.. best mix on a cd in forever...
    test
  17. Auditory

Auditory New Member

have u heard that ice cube song on his new album i think its called "Smoke Some Weed". It has like a hindu sample with this hard ass synth in it. That beat is sooo fuckin sick
    test
  18. Jay George

Jay George New Member

True. I usually bump something from Dr. Dre - Chronic 2001 before I start my mixes.
    test
  19. Jay George

Jay George New Member

Sounds period. Unless you're rocking a high end studio leave all that other stuff to the engineers. Get it to sound right from an artistic prespective. Cause its all gonna get tweaked once someone actually records on the track and it gets mixed/mastered.
    test
  20. Dskillz

Dskillz aka MG The Future

Ok,

well i use FL... so first thing first, i have a maximizer of stereo enhances or my master track.

Than i load up a an EQ to the drums/bass track.. (FL parametric EQ)...

I raise the First bar for "thump/bass humm" or the 2nd bar for KNOCK.

Once I adjust that, I slap R bass on and adjust it..to where its knocking... and i turn the gain down a second.

And when the song is done..i compress the WHOLE drum track with T-Racks VST compressor...and use a Preset that makes it really stand out.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.