Official PS3 Price

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by -Oz-, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Last time this was discussed nobody was completely sure, but after reading EGM this month and their interview with the head of Sony games, its officially going to be 600 bucks.

So well there it is, I know alot of people thought it would be the same as 360, but nope, its 200 dollars more. 300 if you get a cheap 360. I think this is gonna hurt Sony alot, especially with Xbox at 400 and WII coming in at 250. Yeah, they will still sell alot of machines, but I dont think it will be possible to replicate the success that PS2 recieved at a price tag this high, they might even lose the "console war" to Microsoft. I converted...mainly since I dont think Sony has any truly great franchises.

Discuss
    test
  2. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

So with a quick estimate, in NY sales tax is 8 percent, so thats 48 bucks alone there.

So your looking at 650 just for the system with no games. Your gonna want 3 games to start, if your putting that kind of money in a system, at 60 bucks a pop and plus tax...thats nearly 200 dollars.

So now your up to a 850 dollar initial investment. Add in another controller, since no system has launched with 2 controllers in years....your up to 900.

Who knows what other periphials you might need or want. Im not sure if the controllers are wireless, if they are youll need a recharger, Im pretty positive it comes with a hard drive, so at least theres no need for memory cards...You may have to spend some kind of money to get the shit online...

But basically a 900 dollar minimum initial investment... that shit is outrageous.
    Serious gamers obviously gonna get it, even though it might kill them, but I cant see moms and dads running out for christmas to buy nearly 1 thousand dollar systems for their kids.

I think Nintendo making a brilliant move, since anyone who cant afford the other 2 systems, will look at WII as the next generation system they can actually afford.
    test
  3. FortiFied Killa

FortiFied Killa New Member

it's no more over priced then the 360 was, more stuff (blu-ray, that weird control they have going on) means a higher price. So you're basically breaking even with both, having said that though...no gaming system ever should be more than $300 untill the day they invent virtual reality.
    test
  4. Embassy Sweetz

Embassy Sweetz 360's thee-shit,-b

yeh but sonys forcing u to buy all that dumbshit that 90% of the people will never use...most cats dont even know wdf Blu-ray is or wat it does...they just think the name sounds cool lol...most niggas dont even know that u need one of the latest HD tvs's to even VIEW blu-ray...niggas aint gon use that shit...and BluRay jacks up the price a good 200-300 bones...

so they should offer a version without it for 400 if they're smart..but theyre not..they wanna shove that shit down everyones throats...

they have a cheap version for 500 that doesnt have the wi-fi router on it..and it doesnt have an HDMI port which is needed to view blu-ray movies...and it only has a 20 gb hardrive like the 360 while the 600 dollar version has all that other shit plus a 60 gb harddrive...

but yeh if u plannin on buying games and another controller and shit...u better be prepared to drop at least a G....and u know all the retailers are gonna bullshit u with bundles and shit..u prolly wont even be able to buy it by itself at first...fucka ps3...$600 my ass...$400 for the 360 is already pushing it...
    test
  5. Esko

Esko Retired M O D

yeah all this was announced at E3 in May.....there is a $500 model and $600 model....
    test
  6. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Sounds like motherfuckers are gonna need insurance just to purchase PS3.

PS3, better, and I mean better, come with a limitless warranty.

On some life-time shit.
    test
  7. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

All that Blue Ray, and other bullshit aint even in large form yet, PS3 is the only shit that will play them, and at the same time its likely Blueray DVDS will cost more than regular dvds. All in all I feel like thats a big feature they are pushing, that the normal person, especially the average consumer shopping for kids, dont give a shit about .... hell, alot of hard core gamers could prolly give a fuck less about blueray dvd compatability.

Oh and it DEFINITELY has a wireless controller, so tack on 30 bucks for the recharger.

As for the two prices....any serious gamer isnt interested in the low end of the technology. Not to mention its still so high it will push consumers away.

To me, PS3 is trying to advance too fast. XBOX360 is going at the right pace, and Nintendo is somewhat behind the times. The transision to HD on Xbox360 was good, but Sony is trying to over do it, and since the technology is so modern, its costing a fortune for shit that isnt even in place, and most people dont want or need.
    test
  8. Im still buyin this fucker..

its the damn blue-ray technology thats so expensive
    test
  9. Embassy Sweetz

shit im buyin it just to flip it on ebay for a grand and up...
    test
  10. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

they don't care about niggas buying this. Cause the avg middle class buyer is going to have a HD ready TV. I mean anyone spending this much on a console better have enough money for one. If not that is just funny within itself. And if not, eventually they will get one because everything is going towards HD TV.

400..you are not serious right. Sony will be lossing tens of millions more if they did it would be god damn ridiculous. You sell at the highest price you possibly can without upsetting your consumer basis. If so the market strategist would be fired, and that isn't going to happen. Will this upset everyone... hell no, why cause fools will be out there just like when PS2 came out.

Seriously, most ppl will complain, but it won't change the fact that ppl are still going to be beat old ladies over the head to buy it. Is the price high, yeah it is, although that is only relative on whom will buy it. Will I dish out 600... shit, I don't care, because it won't hurt my wallet. Will it piss off the teenage kid that is working for 8 dollars an hour, you god damn right it is.
    test
  11. FortiFied Killa

the blu-ray technology is for the future, people should be happy in a way. Yeah you're spending alot now but you're pretty much guaranteeing you wont be buying another console for like 10-15 years. Soon blu-ray will be the norm. I remember just a few years ago when only the rich had dvd players, now you cant even buy vcr's anymore. Blu-ray will be here faster than you think. I'm not pro one or the other, frankly I cant afford either so it really doesnt matter to me, but what happens in like let's say 5 or 6 years (if it even takes that long) when blu-ray is the norm and the 360 only plays HD-DVD's? then all the 360 people will have to pay another $50-$100 for the 360 attatchment that will allow you to watch blu-ray discs. The ps3 is just getting all that out of the way in the beginning.
    test
  12. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

I dont see Blue Ray or ANY format for that matter over-taking DVDS for at least a decade. DVDs are cheap to make, and cheap to buy. The main difference between a Blue Ray and a regular DVD is a blue ray can hold much more space, which...last time I checked...I aint seen a movie that aint fit on a dvd yet.

Blue Ray also supports 1080psi hdtv or some shit too. A level of HDTV that is RARE, very rare to find a tv that supports it. Sony is really banking on that shit though, and the cheaper model DONT support that, so the Blue Ray shit wont work anyway with it unless you buy an add on.

Think of all the people who just bought a nice exspensive hdtv in the last 5 years, aint nobody tryna buy no fucking new hdtv cause PS3 says it plays movies better. Matter of fact, I wish they would quit putting DVDs on video games, it was cool with PS2, since DVDs were new then, but now....everyone and their cousin has a DVD player, I dont need, nor have I ever used one in my system.
    test
  13. Pyro Tecknik

Pyro Tecknik Harbinger of DOOM

word to oz.

looks like i'm defintely going to get the wii before the ps3(years even).
    test
  14. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

WoW at the Blu-Ray being so much, personally i think its to recoup the development of the Cell technology, i mean the first Blu-Ray Player (which i think is coming from Toshiba) in a few weeks is retailed at around $1000. So if the Blu-Ray is whats raising the price than why are we gonna get it for $600.
    test
  15. Embassy Sweetz

lol@ the avg. middle class person having an HDTV...u know HD is in less than 25% of US households right..???...yeh....them shits are still expensive...HD wont become the norm until u can walk in a store and cop a 27 inch or so for like 300-500 bucks...but right now..a 27 inch BUILT IN HD lcd is at least a grand...

and if u TAKE OUT The blu-ray drive in the cheaper ps3...the cost to make the console DROPS buddy...so they WONT be losin crazy money..shti they cud prolly sell the system at a profit...since it already COSTS them 900 + to MAKE them..they already sellin at a HUGE loss...and most of that cost is blu-ray..

the thing about blu-ray is that its not a big enough LEAP for people to feel they HAVE to get it...DVD on the other hand was night/day compared to tapes..they were smaller , more convient with FF and RR adn scene selection , picture was a shitload clearer , u didnt have to BUY a new TV to use it , and it lasted for a long time...wats the big advantage with blu-ray..??..capacity..?? have u SEEN an HD blu-ray movie..??..it looks lightly better than a normal DVD at 480 p or upscalled to 720p...so they want to u RE_BUY your entire DVD catalogue for a slighty better picture and capacity that no movie will ever fill..??..

the only thing blu-ray will be good for is backiong up files on yuor comp...but that wont be for a few years cuz BR dirves are like 1000 + dollars for your comp..

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are destined to fail...not becuase they're bad but because they dont add convienience to the consumer..convienience creates a NEED...blu-ray is just a WANT...DVD became a NEED due to its convieinece over VHS...and it was a logical evolution of media...BR isnt...niether is HD-DVD...they are trying to force this shit 5-10 years too early...

and by then evenrything will be done over the internet..you'll be downloading movies and games on your comp instead of buying them in stores by then most likely..

the ps3 will sell out of course cuz most peopel are sheeps and buy anything with " playstation " written on it..but i think alot of people will be turned off at that price when u compare it to the 360 or Wii...cuz the 360 is rumored to have a price drop around christmas and honestly all the games coming for 360 look BETTER cuz theyve had an extra year to pump out the games than the palystation...so when people see these machines side by side...i think alot of people will go with the 200 + cheaper 360 that looks just as good as the 600 + playstation...and parents with kids will get the cheaper Wii....
    test
  16. Embassy Sweetz

well games are put on DVDS so the DVD laser is used to read games to not just movies...

but yeh all those people that bought HD TV's in the last 5 years are screwed if they want to watch Blu-Ray...
    test
  17. FortiFied Killa

It has nothing to do with that the public wants though, thats the thing, it has to do with what makes the companies the most money.

Yeah movies fit on a DVD, but if the studios see an oppurtunity to put 20 extra hours of special features on the disc and charge an extra 20 bucks for that movie they'll do it. They wont care that you dont want all those speacial features, they just care that'll it make them more money so every studio would do it. Same with the tv's, the companies wont give a shit about all the people who just bought fancy new HDTV'S, they'll just care that forcing you to buy ANOTHER one will make them even more money. So yeah if you look at it from OUR point of view it doesnt seem like it would happen, but from the people who run the shit's point of view, it would be exactly what they want to happen.
    test
  18. Embassy Sweetz

well if they dotn do we we want then we wont buy it and they wont make money...i dont get your logic...

the compaines dont care about putting more shit on a DVD..thats cost money..thats alot of extra filming and printing and shit and movies already cost shit loads to produce...

all the studios care about is copy protection and Blu-Ray and HD-DVD have CRRAZZZY Amounts of copy protection...thats all they care about...stopping people from bootleggin their shit...they're gona market Blu-Ray as this remarkable crystal clear picture quality tho..but in reality it aint that big of a leap..and def not worth the extra cash...and DEF not worth buying a new top of the line HD TV to view it...

fuck that..
    test
  19. Pistol Petee

Pistol Petee Pussy Eater

and i hear microsoft is gonna drop the premium 360 down to 300 dollars

sony is done
    test
  20. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.