Official Mastering Showdown

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by BPINCdef, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spectata

Spectata No oustide links

Somebody sent me an email and brought my attention to this thread...

Sorry I haven't been here for months guys :(

ANYWAY...

This was really a cool post and I really don't want to get too deep into it...

The problem here is that these guys (and most people here) think mastering
    is the process of MAKING A TRACK SOUND DIFFERENT. It's not about that...

It's about making the overall sound as clean and polished as possible. If the
    'engineer' does not have a solid idea about what the industry standard (or the
    sound ideal) is, then it's all a big fat waste of time...

Mastering A was a waste of time...

Mastering B was better because he unmasked the sound a little.

both versions could have been alot better...

Very interesting and entertaining thread guys... THIS IS HOW YOU BUILD!!

Keep it up !

With Respect,

Spectata
    test
  2. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

I haven't had a time to listen to either...but I think it would be interesting if ^homeboy's^ company played with the original file too. I doubt you would usually play with anything in mp3 form, but it would be interesting to see.
    test
  3. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

I wasn't trying to knock your quality BPINCdef, but the 2 songs you sent me to master definately had below average production directly effecting the master's outcome. I could give you alot of constructive criticism if you want it and I'm sure it would help you. I just don't want people to think that this a good example of what a sound engineer does because this was for sure a much lower than average quality produced track. You said that you wanted to show what people from this forum could expect but I've mastered a ton of tracks for people on this forum just since I made my first post here a few weeks ago and they're all top notch quality (I was impressed). Chances are when people have lower than average quality they will not want to pay money to have it mastered, but that's just my experience. This is a cool thread though, it's interesting to read who voted for who and see who knows what they're talking about.

-edit- can i get those tips now?
    test
  4. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

no one will know!!!!!!!!!!! no one!
    test
  5. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

I wasn't trying to give anything away, sorry... Just post the vote count so we know where it stands, that's all I was trying to do.
    test
  6. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

i agree with everything you say...except your choice... and your one of the heads that showed me shit back in the day. For some strange reason i never thought of comparing this to the industry sound... i honestly dont think a pro engineer could have fixed this track to sound like a industry track tho... but, back to the point.... i seriously can't tell teh difference between teh unmastered version and the track B... my ears can't be deceiving me...
    test
  7. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

How could you agree with him saying Master A was a waste of time and B was better, and say that he made the wrong choice?
    test
  8. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

i didnt agree about his choice....re-read i said "i can't tell the difference between teh unmastered version, and version b"... thats against his positive view of the track B....

i agree about the talk of "should be compared to the industry standard"... it slipped my mind to compare this to the Ind Standard... just stating i forgot...
    test
  9. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

a has 7
    b has 10
    test
  10. Redmnm

Redmnm valiant taste death once

aww man since i already know who is who takes all the fun outta finding out whos who....
    but yea u really cant compare this to Industry standard when he was using low budget equiptment to start wit
    test
  11. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

test
  12. Aze'

Aze' that's the dummy alarm

^ I happen to know of MANY 'industry stanard' songs / albums created with budget equiptment.
    I think Ghet Ghet and Dogg are talented, and I'm glad to see more people chasing their dreams and going after this -- but honestly, they could've done ALOT better work. I don't think either of them spent much time working this. Granted it is a horrible beat, with those ANNOYING extreme highs, but it could've been alot better.

I have nothing but love, and wish you guys the best, but there are my 2cents.
    test
  13. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

Ya, don't get me wrong, I could have definately spent more time on this master... But 1, I wasn't getting paid, and 2, it was a frustrating beat to work with and I did it at like 2am the night before I left town for 5 days (why I didn't post till yesterday). But I felt I did a good job, good enough for a free demo for sure, which is what BPINCdef approached me and asked for. But I'm not copping out, I did spend about 20-30 minutes on that master. I woulda probably spent an hour had I been paid the $15 I charge (half price compared to my opponent). But with the files that I was given there wasn't much more I could do with this track then what I did. So hopefully I come out the winner of this mastering showdown and Ghet will apologize for accusing me of "ripping people off and charging to boost the highs". I only want to get my name out for quality work which is why my prices are so cheap, not because I don't do a professional job. Thanks for all the input though, I'll keep learning and working to improve my skills so that I can continue to impress the clientell I work with.
    test
  14. ? THA RIDD A LAH?

? THA RIDD A LAH? New Member

^^^ i like this guys attitude....

damn id like to see the out come of who won this,and whos who...

pzzzzzzz
    test
  15. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

tomorrow ill anounce it - last call for votes!!!!!!
    test
  16. Spectata

Spectata No oustide links

To tell you the truth, I'd like to know how "bad" the quality of the original really is. It doesn't sound like it was any worse than the majority of start-up Indy stuff we have running through here daily...

Sure... I'll run this through one of our setups and post up a result. We have nothing to prove and nothing to fear... We already have a healthy clientele...

and... if its close to what the other two guys have done, then they'll be happy to know that they're on the right track (if not, then ... well... )

SO...

If the guy who posted this topic would get us the EXACT SAME FILES that the other two gentleman received, I'll be happy to put a half hour into it and see what kind of differences arise between a Press-A-Demo file and the other two guys.

You can email me at Spectata@pressademo.com
    test
  17. Unsigned Hype

Unsigned Hype G-FORCE

me too
    test
  18. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

i will hit you up later today aite man? I have the exact same files, ill send you the same zip both of them got (all the files are wav)
    and thank you for no quality bashin, i thought it was good for a dbx pre, dbx compressor, AT3035 and STOCK soundcard
    aite ill hit you up later when i get home from school
    test
  19. Shaw-King

Shaw-King New Member

I like B a lil better.....I actually listened to them 3 times each....they sound so similar....in A, the guitar sounded a lil harsh to me and so I go with B....
    test
  20. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

It wasn't the recording quality I had a problem with so much as the beat. I think your vocals were about average as far as recording quality goes, but that beat... Spectata will find out just how frustrating that beat was to work with when he gets it. But don't think we're quality bashing, I'm sorry if that's how it came off. That choice of beat just frustrated the hell out of me because of the constant guitar sound and muddy overall sound. But keep doing your thing, I learn new tricks to improve quality with every song I produce. Just keep learning and your sound will only get better and better.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.