Official Mastering Showdown

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by BPINCdef, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D1se On3

D1se On3 New Member

I vote A...because the vocals sound more crisp and clear...and overall i can hear the vocals better...mastering B made the vocals a little more muffled i think, kinda hard to tell the difference
    test
  2. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

it sucks taht everyone has to hear these on a wide variety of speakers and signal chains...

everyone will hear a different result ultimately.
    test
  3. DJ NoNseNse

DJ NoNseNse Nonsense Productions

Vote- B

Vocals seemed more clear. Didnt notice a big difference with any of them and the unmastered version.
    test
  4. rez0nate

rez0nate New Member

K, listening to unmastered strait mixdown......not too bad, kinda staticy, and muddy....

K, listening to Def's mixing.....sounds much better with the effects.....LoL

Mastering A:

hMm, Vocals are a little lower, but the vocals are krisp, sounds pretty clean, but the whole track seemed like it was sized down a little bit, it was lower than def's original, but then again thats prolly because of the mastering, I liked this, good idea having an accapella, you can really see the mastering take affect

Mastering B:

hMm, The vocals were mixed alot better in this mastering, they were sitting right in there good, The accapella was pretty good as well, this mastering didnt sound like it was sized down as much either, and I liked the way it sounded too, I liked the fact that the vocals were not too high, and not too low...

This was close but I'll have to say that B took this, it sounded much more professional and more clear, it was mixed very well, i can never get my vocals right at that level, my vocals are always either too high, or too low....

By the way, was this MIXDOWN AND MASTER, or just an already mixed track getting mastered?
    test
  5. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

If was recorded and mixed (and then mastered) correctly, it wouldn't be too much of an issue.
    test
  6. Syntax_Mastery

yea, but in the state its in....

=-/
    test
  7. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

Ehh.... Ill vote... um..... ok.... A
    But like the rest said, this wouldnt be worth paying for.

Sure, if it was mixed right, Id love to see if there would be a diff, but it sounded like someone went into CE2, pressed a few buttons, and called it a night lol
    test
  8. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

og and ghet mixed their respective versions also
    test
  9. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

a - 6 votes
    b - 7 votes
    test
  10. phatphizzy

phatphizzy The Great Dane

I'd say A.. cause B didn't really sound any different from the original.. A had a little crispier sound..

:cock:
    test
  11. Redmnm

Redmnm valiant taste death once

i liked B better for pretty much the same reasons as the above people vocals not to low, and not to high
    test
  12. rez0nate

rez0nate New Member

I can tell whos is whos now that i listen to both ghets and og's other mastered tracks, its not hard to tell, LOL
    test
  13. Syntax_Mastery

^yea... i recognized who was who yesterday...its pretty easy if you know whos involved, they got different sound signatures.....
    test
  14. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

shhh dont let the secret out - il say whos who on friday or saturday
    test
  15. Aze'

Aze' that's the dummy alarm

.. Okay, first off -- neither version of the master was worth putting any money into. Whoever did "A" used a really amature reverb, it actually sounds like a pre-set reverb from cool edit or something.
    Did they just edit the file as a WHOLE, or were they given the beat/vocals in seperate files? If they got seperate files than this is even worse than I thought..

It's really tough, I'm listening threw my MDR-V900's, but than again, I'm at home, not the studio -- so i'm listening threw a soundcard, and a stock one at that.
    test
  16. Aze'

Aze' that's the dummy alarm

oh, but I say "b"...
    test
  17. clorq

clorq New Member

bpincdef = noob
    test
  18. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

This track was definately hard to master because of the guitar strings being so LOUD on the original instrumental. There were quite a few loud out of place breaths as well as a few spots where the voice overs needed to be seriously adjusted (the end). It's below average production quality also seriously effected the outcome of all the masters, making them seem "not worth paying for" in your eyes (or ears). Most people paying to have their tracks mastered would generally have higher production quality leading to a much cleaner and improved mastered track from my experience.

And to answer the questions, we both mixed down these tracks as well, pay close attention to the last 5 seconds of the song and I think you can tell who the better mixer is ;)
    test
  19. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

haha, so both would like to blame it on my quality and the beat...lol
    the point of this is to give you guys what most people on THIS board would want to have mastered, do i have better equip, yes, but i want people to get a feel for what you would do with a low budget setup
    as far as me being a noob...in rap? yes, im wack....you heard 10 seconds of a song also thou, so you cant expect much can ya?
    in audio help n tips? i understand equipment...in no way am i ghetalion or a genious
    in production? im constantly learning new things to better my mix and quality
    if im a noob compared to you, then so be it, i dont care, im learning, thats the reason im here
    test
  20. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

The last 5 seconds of the vocal solo on this song bears absolutely no importance at anytime during any history of any song, period.

The point of MIXING and MASTERING is to have everything sound good together... not just one part that's soloed.

Great! You made that kic drum sound wounderful soloed! Spectacular! Now reintroduce it to the mix and then figure out wonder why it's conflicting with the bass guitar.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.