"Nowadays you got more rappers than you got f*ckin fans"

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by BLOODraven, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

It's so easy for anyone to make their own music today. What effect is this having on hip hop?

Does this help or hurt mainstream rap music?
    test
  2. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

he he... I love these 'rap sucks' threads.

But I'm like Masta Ace... "I love rap no matter how much I say I hate it."

The problem is that nobody has the heart to tell their man, "yo, you SUCK, b"

And women buy the music and shake their fat asses to it in the club, so the wackness continues.

Hip hop was better when most women didn't like it because it was "too lyrical" for them... they listened more to R&B instead... like in the '90s, most of Lauryn Hill's female fans preferred her singing over her rapping.
    test
  3. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

actually, the way i look at it, the fact that so many people make their own hip hop has little to do with the wackness factor, cause mainstream became wack a long time ago...

it does have a huge impact on the SOFTNESS factor... u used to have to have street cred to rap... now theres hardly any street niggas left.
    test
  4. Drink8cokesAday

Drink8cokesAday ALL DAY

I fucking hate rappers, you fuck and date rappers
    I do a show, peep the crowd, fucking great- rappers
    Anyone who ain't rappers, let's have a show of hands
    Cause there's too many emcees, not enough fans
    [youtube]kHRe3Mc-hi8[/youtube]
    test
  5. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

True, but I think this explains why there are a ton of shitty unknown/underground rappers. But, has the easiness of creating rap music contributed to how bad mainstream rap is today? Did this help the shitty mainstream artists (lil ____ or young ____) of today get famous?

Im writing a paper about how the internet/technology has ruined the quality of mainstream rap today. Im trying to understand how rap went from the quality of the 90s to the quality of today. I'd appreciate your input

This is interesting. Are you saying that women are adding to the growth of lower quality mainstream rap today? Women are now starting to listen to rap because it is less lyrical?
    test
  6. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

I actually think that the fact that so many people are able to make music is good for new underground talent (although it adds a ton of trash as well). I'm not sure how this impacts the mainstream.

What do you think caused mainstream to become so wack?
    test
  7. Kifferei

Kifferei New Member

I don't really see how the internet has "ruined" rap. Its just causing a glut of really crappy music that took no effort to make. But it goes both directions. Its so much easier for people who are trying to make quality music to network with each other. Those who are putting the most effort in are taking it to a completely new level.
    test
  8. PrecinctPhantom

PrecinctPhantom UK Bawse

I think it's pretty obvious that once you have a lot of music being produced (far more than there ever used to be before the internet and the ease of distribution and promotion that brings with it) that music scene is going to become saturated. There's going to be a lot more shit out there that sounds horrible.

BUT

I think people are quick to say this is a bad thing, which i think is unfair. There have been countless MCs that have come to light through the net, that without it wouldn't reach out of their hometown. In fact, there are MCs in MY hometown (Lincoln in the UK which has a very small local scene) that i wouldn't have heard of without the ease of distribution etc that the net brings.
    It seems to me that although you're going to get a lot more shit being released through the net (shit as in actual shit music), but by the same token you're gonna get a lot more dope projects floating through the blogisphere and the mixtape sites, and social networks etc, that you wouldn't hear otherwise, and i love that; the fact that you can hear new, dope, underground music with such ease - something that never used to be the case.

I think bad music will be exposed as bad music (at least in terms of people who like good hip hop and appreciate the culture and what goes into making a good, proper hip hop record) and I think the fact that good music can be spread around so easily, reaching across borders that used to be nigh on impossible to break, can only be a good thing.
    test
  9. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Yes. Yes.

It used to be harder to get your music out and harder to make it, now it's easy... which gives more inspiration to any Joe Blow who can't rap for shit... Soulja Boi blew up on Myspace, right? Using like a Casio keyboard or some shit.

This led to more people respecting the "hustle" over the "art."

Yes. Yes.

More and more artists are making rap music catered to women... more and more male fans are buying and playing rap music in order to cater to women... it's all in a quest to get pussy... they don't understand that game alone should get you pussy, not what you play in the whip or in the crib... clubs have always catered to women, hence the advent of "ladies night," "ladies free before 11 pm," "drinks free for ladies," etc.... and the more ladies are in a club, the more popular the club is... and the more ladies are in a club when they can hear music that they like.

It's all cause-and-effect... there were always women into rap music, but they were a very small minority... particularly the hardcore, purist fans... the casual listeners who liked the pop rap were mainly women and children... now that pop rap has spread and dominated mainstream hip hop, MORE women are into it... MORE suburban and non-melanin people are into it... because it's easily accessible... it's definitely a contributing factor, because artists have taken heed and decided to go where the money is.
    test
  10. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

This makes a lot of sense. Im gonna use these points in my paper. Thank you very much
    test
  11. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

i don't understand how making exposure easier by itself can lead to a decrease in quality. if it's easier to put out music and thus more crap music is put out, that would still effectively be an increase in competition and theoretically the 'best' of this surge should prevail (whether it be best music, best marketing, networking, etc.) the only way i can picture a decrease in quality through this is if the rappers we are labeling as low quality actually appeal to a broader audience. but maybe i'm missing something... i dunno much about the music biz
    test
  12. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA Well-Known Member

Oh, hai! :wave:

I can agree with you on most levels, but a true fan and/or friend will always tell the person that their material, whether it's rap or any other music genre, isn't good enough. Sadly, a whole lot of people don't do so, because they're in it for the ride, and other ulterior motives that result in potentially being able to mooch off the "artists" in one way or another. Either that, or to make a mockery out of them.

Lauryn Hill should have never stopped rapping. Ever.
    test
  13. PrecinctPhantom

PrecinctPhantom UK Bawse

I meant that easier exposure, distribution and production of music will lead to an increase of bad hip hop, but at the same time will lead to an increase of good hip hop.

I wasn't saying it will lead to a decrease in quality - there will just be more of the worse quality music easily available to people.
    test
  14. reggie jax

yea but dude specifically said mainstream, which means that 'bad hip hop' has to not only be produced but also be embraced by the industry. so what i'm saying is there seems to be some logical gap in this equation where (a) more music = (b) more 'bad' music = (c) worse 'mainstream' music. a gap specifically between b and c. it seems like more bad music should only lead to worse mainstream music if more people like bad music.
    test
  15. OutLaw613

OutLaw613 Well-Known Member

reading this reminds me of the quote.

"I dont know shit about no shoppin rocks
    But what you know about hip-hop shops rockin spots?
    When your the only white boy in that bitch just rippin
    pressin up your own flyers and your stickers stickin
    them bitches up after spendin six hours at Kinkos
    Just makin copys of your covers of cassette singles
    and sell them out the trunk of your Tracer
    Spendin your whole paycheck at Disc Makers!"

Back in the day you had to work your ass off to put yourself on tape.. and to make it big you actually had to have talent. You put your heart and soul into that shit everyday.

When it comes to becoming famous now a days shits different glamorize and glorify an all too familiar trend. Hip hop is so commercialized now that it can't go back its going to cater to the trends imo...

Increase in rappers = increase in music period. it's up to you to be inspired and find great music cause it is out there.

The internet didn't fuck hip hop the fans did...
    test
  16. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

Ignorant explained it. If the internet didn't exsist, then soulja boy wouldn't exist either. I looked into how soulja boy got famous because I didn't know. "Crank that" started as a download on myspace. If it werent for the easiness and inexpensiveness of creating music today, plus the sites like myspace and youtube to broadcast your music, soulja boy wouldnt have existed. There werent any soulja boys in the golden era because it was more expensive to make music and sites like myspace and youtube didnt exsist
    test
  17. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Krazed Familia

Realest shit I've seen online in a while. Just told this to my homeboy a couple days ago.

I rap. I can't take a niggaz opinion seriously if he thinks that EVERYTHING I drop is golden. Granted, I put more effort into my shit than most niggaz, but I knoooooow niggaz can find something wrong with it and give constructive criticism. Or, just tell me I suck and be done with it...

If I had the majority of the people that heard me telling me that I suck, I'd think twice about releasing music...unless their favorite rapper was Flocka or some shit.
    test
  18. Chap-E

Chap-E Give a fuck...?

for every rap wannabe there is a fan inside that caused that reflex of wanting to put some music together... to say more rappers than fans is a false statement all in all... but i appreciate what your trying to say with this.

The internet has been a great outlet for both unsigned and signed personnel. Increased exposure at all levels of the music chains, not just relative to hip hop as a genre.

Am not going to lie, I have a passion for hip hop, as many others who use this forum will have, and I have been guilty of posting trash music... but is that not a tool to help improve ourselves? afterall 99.9% of the bullshit posted on the internet by unknown, unheard of and unsigned artists is still heard by very few unless it does represent some sort of quality OR it is pushed promotionally across a number of feeds throughout the internet.

To be heard by a solid platform of listeners, you still need to create a fan base of sorts, something which is as difficult to achieve solely on the web as it is with a record label behind you...

All in all hip hop is not on a decline, it never has been, the fans have changed preferences and the fans have become more demanding, whether it be the fan whom simply prefers a easy listening mainstream track OR a fan who loves being indulged in crisp lyrics, rhymes schemes and lyrical content.

I Love Hip Hop and I can appreciate anyone approaching the art form of music...
    test
  19. reggie jax

i'm not contesting that people use the net to market their shit. the question though is why did soulja boy blow up and not any one of the other countless internet emcees? there's no shortage of so-called 'lyricists' online.
    test
  20. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

The article I read said he got a ton of buzz from youtube. He made his dance instructional video to go along with "crank that." It just got too popular I guess.

This example alone is enough to make a solid arguement that the ease of production and the available distribution chanels of the internet has had a bad impact on the quality of rap. Soulja boy obviously influenced a ton of other people to do the same (make really bad/annoying music)
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.