Not understanding lyrics... Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by ThatsNotMyName, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

Aight, I want to open up this debate.

There's a message in D. Respect's new video, were he pretty much claims Lupe's response to K Dot was "unnecessarily intricate".

I quote him: "That's the point if I have to have every line spoon fed to me by rap genius..how good were the lyrics? what if rap genius didn't exist? is your loyalty of Lupe contingent on a website?"

I'm a big Lupe fan myself and even though he is not as simple as Too Short or Ice Cube, I like him. I like what he does. I like how he says something but in a whole different way. I like the approach he has, I like finding the different meanings of a line, or listening always and finding another meaning. I like that shit.

Another example, GFK. I kid you not, first time I heard Supreme Clientele I was reading along and I was like... "What?" most of the time. I had to read without the song, just to understand each line and I actually liked that. Because even thought I didn't understand at first sight, it was still dope... and when I understood it was dope in another level, and sometimes people interpret the lines however they want to interpret them, and I think that's another dope thing.

So, personally I love that shit.. I love when I don't understand shit right off the bat. And I don't get all defensive when I don't understand shit, I just vibe to it if I can and then try to find the meaning, like I'm digging into the song, and it grows on me. I like that shit..

But I want to know what you guys think. You hear a rap song, you don't understand squat.. What you think about that?
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 2
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  2. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

If he can't understand lyrics or interpret them, he shouldn't use words like "contingent"

Agreed, though. Lotta people get defensive when they encounter any difficulty or feel like their intelligence is being insulted.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Definitely a good thing

Always nice to know an MC put the extra thought into something to give it several meanings or different layers

why does everything have to be obvious
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  4. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

thats the reason i listen to lupe. cause hes so complex. I dont go to rap genius to understand lyrics, I just play the song again. its called having good replay value.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. Kry

Kry Willie Stylus

I always gravitated to lyrics that had some sort of complexity to them, I like personification and double meanings and shit. I like my straight forward lyrics too, but how stumulating are nursery rhymes after a while. Lil Wayne brought on that straight forward simile style, that basic nursery rhyme comparison style..some of it is funny and clever enough to make me enjoy it, but it gets redundant after a while. There is nothing wrong with not understanding a complex rhyme after 1st listen, that was actually quite common back in the day. There were no websites to help decipher GZA lyrics back in the 90's, you had to listen and vibe to it until it popped in your head what was going on. How can you not enjoy discovering new shit on an album you had for the past year
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  6. Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong Yeah, it's me nigga

I think Lupe tries way too hard sometimes. Being complex can be good, but at some point it starts to sound forced. Don't get me wrong, I love cryptic lines as much as anyone else, but they have to flow naturally for me to truly enjoy them.

And I wouldn't compare lupe with GFK. I wouldn't be surprised if ghost came up with most of his stuff on the spot. He just has that fly lingo and a very unique way of describing things. Lupe, on the other hand, seems like the type of dude who spends hours on his shit.
    test
  7. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

I agree ^ with that summation of Ghostface and I also agree with fuck rapgenius. I hear that name all the time and never go to it, but I figure it's just the new ohhla. How do you think we used to understand shit back in the day? Someone had to transcribe shit by hand for these places to begin with, and it doesn't take a genius to be a stenographer.
    test
  8. the rhyme king 25

the rhyme king 25 Member

is this the reason gza ras kass jay-z lupe fiasco andre 3000 is some of my favorite lyricist.

they have double and triple meanings in them
    test
  9. ThatsNotMyName

It's not like I'm comparing GFK and Lupe, they are SO different but they both have an unorthodox way of rapping.

And I never understood how Lupe sounds forced though, like I know many people say that, but I'd like them to quote me which songs sound forced. I know probably Lupe doesn't make his stuff off the dome, and he probably takes time writing but I don't think that's bad.. I mean, for me it never sounded that forced.
    test
  10. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

sometimes saying something intricately is unnecessary, but sometimes imagery is a better way to illustrate a point. and good lyrics often become better if a more poetic and indirect way of description is used. you'd appreciate it if you read books. in battlerap tho, i feel direct hits are usually more effective.
    test
  11. ThatsNotMyName

Yea, battlerap is very different than hip hop songs.
    test
  12. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

To me, it's all about the PERFORMANCE above anything... I could care less about the message, the schemes, the imagery, etc, if you're not spittin'... Lupe did his thing on that song, so I like it because of that first and foremost... because if his flow was off, I wouldn't like it at all... people have to remember... rap is still MUSIC... it's not literature.

After you capture me with the flow/delivery/vocal presence, then I pay attention to the other elements that make a song great.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  13. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

Clever witty complex......they needn't be long and over people's heads.....simplicity is difficult
    test
  14. the rhyme king 25

the rhyme king 25 Member

what do u define as flow
    test
  15. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

Nothing so bold as rhyming words
    test