Not getting it

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by skandelous_lala, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skandelous_lala

skandelous_lala back from the dead

I think everybody has come across those pieces..where they just don't click for them like they click for others. One person can say..that was so moving...and another person will be like, what the hell are you talking about.

(I saw RealMs thread about a poem in question for her, but this way weighing on my mind before I entered that thread...some people already dropped good insight on the matter in her thread) I'm just being a bit more general.

I find that so strange.

I mean..I do think there is a beauty to that. Of course there is a beauty to that. If you over-simplify something...it loses something. I've wrote pieces before...where it's like..if somebody doesn't get this..I'm not explaining it b/c explaining it takes away from it.

But at the same time..it's frusturating when you read those pieces that you aren't quite sure how to take them. It's like you're missing something that you don't want to miss...but then you understand that it loses some of its magic if you ask for a real world literal definition of it all. B/c part of poetry is seeing the world in a very different way. Not dumbing it down.

I used to skim by pieces that I encountered like that..b/c I felt like I wouldn't get it so it was just wasting my time. But know I try to figure it out..understand it..it's almost like a koan..you've got to experience it and even then there is still no right answer except perhaps the one in the mind of the author.

I'm just rambling..but it was just a thought I wanted to put out there.
    test
  2. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

"I mean..I do think there is a beauty to that. Of course there is a beauty to that. If you over-simplify something...it loses something. I've wrote pieces before...where it's like..if somebody doesn't get this..I'm not explaining it b/c explaining it takes away from it."

This is a good point. I hate explaining pieces, because then, the mystery is over. But I still do and I don't know why. Maybe because countless people have guessed at it's meaning, and missed. Maybe it's because I can't hold a good secret. Either way, most of my poems are written for me, not the reader. I don't know. I've ran across the pieces where I didn't get it at all. More often than not that's the situation. So if I don't get it, I wont respond. Because I don't want to feel like an idiot saying "uh....huh"

I'm rambling too. But I feel you....
    test
  3. Poetickz

Poetickz The Humble One

i agree with ya...but i also perhaps that if u get an explanation...then u read it again you see what the meaning is and then ur able to feel it? kinda like cheating in a video game actually :/ but you know...if u ever read shakespeare's sonnets...theres a way to analyze every one of his pieces...you gotta do research...but after u find out all the meanings within those...its a whole lot more beautiful.
    one
    test
  4. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

im going to break the rant and just say "word, i feel you"
    test
  5. I think sometimes our expectations are a little confused.some people expect a poem to be very clear for it to work, and others believe that multiple meanings that can often obscure a message are welcomed in poetry, for it would be a much more drab place without them. However, sometimes it is just a question of taste. Shakespeare for example. He is possibly the most famous writer in the history of the world, yet some people will say he was not that good. Do the masses of opinions speak for themselves or the few which deny those voices? In art we cannot tell.

I think the reason 'why' we are writing plays a big role on what and how we can perhaps be judged, and what is realistically demanded of us. How can we judge someones poetic thoughts in a diary in the same way that we would judge anothers execution in presenting something clearly to the reader? If you ask that of the diary writer who conveys their stream of conciousnes in a poem then you expect to much of them, and more importantly, miss the point.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.