Non-Lyrical Rappers...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Ignorant, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Stykz

Big Stykz u feel me?

yall r over-complicating the hell outta this....

lyricism goes beyond all the small shit yall r talkin about. its bigger than punchlines, rhyme schemes, complex topics, etc. its simply about having something to say, and communicating those thoughts in a creative and artistic way. THATS IT. shit, Ludacris' "Area Codes" was lyrical in its own way. "Dr. Carter" from Lil Wayne was lyrical as shit. and yea, 2Pac wasnt heavy on overdone multis and flippin corny overrated punchlines, but check this: think about the strength of a statement like "...and they tell me its the white man i should fear; but its my own kind doin all the killin here...". thats a truely potent statement rite there, truely LYRICAL.....

its about having an observation, a perspective on something, and communicating it thru music. lyricism in a nutshell kiddies.....

and to answer the original question of this thread, SNOOP DOGG. he could give a fuck about bein lyrical, he gets paid just 2 be himself nowadays. gotta luv Uncle Snoop....
    test
  2. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Dr Dre
    test
  3. GreattheGreat

GreattheGreat $$$$$

BG
    Guru
    Stack Bundles
    C-murder
    Gucci
    Soulja Slim
    test
  4. AlexKKKeller

AlexKKKeller New Member

The aesethecians gave the term 'lyricist' to poets who focused on crafting their own unique structures to lyrical verses, and defied normal metrics by creating irregular patterns.
    Lyricism = scheme.
    Always has.
    Leave it up to modern fandom to confuse that though.
    However, what's 'lyrical?' I guess that's different for everyone...
    test
  5. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Guru is lyrical.
    test
  6. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Okay, it's like this... "lyricism" in music in general means 'melodic, fluent, sing-songy, beautiful'... like Miles Davis' trumpet playing has been described as very lyrical.

"Lyricism" in hip hop specifically means 'intricate schemes, high vocabulary, poetic devices: ie., metaphors, similes, alliteration, etc."

A rapper with "simple" lyrics can still be described as lyrical if he meets the musical definition of lyrical... which is why Pac was lyrical, even when he was simple, because of his flow.

Then there are rappers whose flows are more syncopated but they concentrate more on how words interact with each other... different meanings and cleverness... that's "lyrical," too.

Rappers who are just simple, not much flow, not much attention to poetic devices are generally described as "non-lyrical."

Get it??
    test
  7. BinoSWI

BinoSWI Half Jamaikan Half Scouse

i always associate rappers with lyrical, more in the traditional/general sense of the word (i.e deep, speaks bout real shit)

but i don't know haha
    test
  8. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

ignorant and alex said it already, but...

Poetry and lyricism is words with a musical air to them... since the way hip-hop is written has immense musicality even without instrumentation, it's automatically more lyrical.

Semantics on it can be done to death, but I'm stickin' to my story.
    test
  9. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

Someone needs to find out who were this kid's English teachers, find them, and murder them before they churn out another dunce talking out of his ass.

The "old" definition of lyricism used the be the ability to write words in a melodious fashion. That's it. Had nothing to do with anything in particular. Just making words sound pretty via expression.

That isn't applicable to rap, however, since rappers generally speaking don't use melody in their voice (very basic ones, you can't really consider it a melody though).

Therefore, the word lyricism should be applied as follows, since these criteria are what makes a good rapper a good rapper.

1) Rhythm/Cadence
    2) Creativity of Concepts
    3) Use of Poetic Devices (metaphors, similes, assonance, etc.)
    4) Rhyme Scheme
    5) Flow (making the wording natural while still applying all of the above criteria)

How you rank these and how much importance you place on each is completely up to the individual fan, but in order for something to be lyrical, ALL of the above criteria must be met.

IMO ;)...
    test
  10. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Rhythm, internal assonance, and alliteration... all down to the wording, gives the words a musical feel. The content doesn't, the wit doesn't, the complexity doesn't... the way the complexity is constructed in terms of successive consonants and phonetics is what can give a verse life and musicality when it's simply read silently.

I think depth of thought and content goes hand in hand with thinking like this, or having the mastery of language when you write in such a way, and I also enjoy it... but you can have this same lyrical prowess with wording and structure that resonates beautifully and just sounds so silky smooth, even with the most basic and juvenile of concepts. It just kind of doesn't do it any justice to waste that sort of form on anything less than a profound personal revelation that's being channeled into the medium.
    test
  11. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

He was answering the thread and listing his non-lyrical rappers.
    test
  12. AlexKKKeller

AlexKKKeller New Member

Lyricism in poetry means 'scheme.'
    test
  13. Anonmuz

Anonmuz Decepticons = Truth

you forgot the 'dot'
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.